Author Topic: Making the commute switch - e bike on the way!  (Read 12105 times)

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
Re: Making the commute switch - e bike on the way!
« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2018, 10:40:46 AM »
Rode to work the other day. Hilly country. Halved the estimated Google Maps time. Pretty good for a middle aged fat guy. Spent too much time on the couch over the winter.

Goal is to use the least amount of PAS boost possible (Level 1) and keep my commute time down.

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2018, 10:55:39 AM »
I would love to HAVE an e-bike, but I have two other nice bikes already.  (Well, nice as in not junkers, not "top of the line" nice.)  Nicer than I need for the 5-6 times a year I take a bike ride.

I just can't get on board to commute to work on a bike.  I'd be turning an 8 minute drive into a 35 minute bike ride (not accounting for traffic).  The difference there adds up to 180 hours a year, not counting time I'd be wasting to go home, get the car, and make the grocery trips, rather than doing so on my way home from work.  180 hours at my salary (which isn't all that high) is over 4 grand.  Of wasted time. 

I drive a paid off car, spend $300 on insurance for the whole year, and drive <7000 miles a year.  My time is just too valuable to spend an hour a day extra on commuting.  (And, no.  I don't spend that time exercising anyway.)

I'd say it's not for everyone, certainly, though I definitely don't consider exercising to be a waste of time.  Of course, I could nitpick a few things about your numbers and assumptions, but my numbers are nevertheless not the same as yours.  My drive is about 15-18 minutes in the morning, and 20-30 minutes on the way home, trading for perhaps a 25-30 minute bike ride (we'll see how long it actually takes once I start).  I also hate driving in traffic, and I like riding the e-bike (and can avoid much of the traffic via bike).  Perhaps if I had a traffic-free commute that would be much faster via car, I wouldn't be willing to make the switch. 

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2018, 10:10:51 AM »
I would love to HAVE an e-bike, but I have two other nice bikes already.  (Well, nice as in not junkers, not "top of the line" nice.)  Nicer than I need for the 5-6 times a year I take a bike ride.

I just can't get on board to commute to work on a bike. I'd be turning an 8 minute drive into a 35 minute bike ride (not accounting for traffic).  The difference there adds up to 180 hours a year, not counting time I'd be wasting to go home, get the car, and make the grocery trips, rather than doing so on my way home from work.  180 hours at my salary (which isn't all that high) is over 4 grand.  Of wasted time. 

I drive a paid off car, spend $300 on insurance for the whole year, and drive <7000 miles a year.  My time is just too valuable to spend an hour a day extra on commuting.  (And, no.  I don't spend that time exercising anyway.)
Motor vehicles are impacted by traffic much more than bike are. 35 minutes at 12 mph bike speed would be 7 miles (10.5 miles if 35 minutes is average speed of 18 mph on e-bike). Unless you are particularly well positioned for a short drive, but would require a longer bike commute, you are claiming an average driving speed of 52-79 mph. Plenty of people use their bikes for grocery stops. Bottom line you designed your car into your life and/or are making clown car excuses for not biking. You get a facepunch.

netskyblue

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #53 on: March 20, 2018, 10:41:42 AM »

I just can't get on board to commute to work on a bike. I'd be turning an 8 minute drive into a 35 minute bike ride (not accounting for traffic).  The difference there adds up to 180 hours a year, not counting time I'd be wasting to go home, get the car, and make the grocery trips, rather than doing so on my way home from work.  180 hours at my salary (which isn't all that high) is over 4 grand.  Of wasted time. 

Motor vehicles are impacted by traffic much more than bike are. 35 minutes at 12 mph bike speed would be 7 miles (10.5 miles if 35 minutes is average speed of 18 mph on e-bike). Unless you are particularly well positioned for a short drive, but would require a longer bike commute, you are claiming an average driving speed of 52-79 mph. Plenty of people use their bikes for grocery stops. Bottom line you designed your car into your life and/or are making clown car excuses for not biking. You get a facepunch.

I'm immediately off the interstate and two exits from work, which is then two blocks from the exit.  Can't bike up and down the interstate, would have to reroute through town.  I've never ridden an e-bike, but on a conventional bike, I average 10-12 mph, and there are about a dozen stoplights at which you sit, and sit, and sit, wasting valuable time.  So even if you're making good time, you're spending at LEAST ten minutes just sitting there, each way.  Which is longer than my drive time.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #54 on: March 22, 2018, 11:26:35 PM »
Netskyblue...   what do you spend that extra hour a day on?  What would you give up if your commute took an extra hour a day?

My time is just too valuable to spend an hour a day extra on commuting.

historian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #55 on: March 23, 2018, 06:48:13 AM »
I'm looking at a RadWagon.  I was looking at cargo bikes, and the expense of them are the same as a RadWagon, so I'm not sure that there is a benefit to going with a traditional cargo bike.  I was also looking at getting a conversion kit and then buying a cheap bike on craigslist, but that would only be a few hundred less than the RadWagon and would rely on my mechanical skills (or lack thereof).  I'm interested to hear how Arbitrage does on theirs and if they have any problems.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #56 on: March 23, 2018, 07:26:37 AM »
Get the right clothing.

I normally don't ride to work in winter (near freezing this morn) so I broke out my warmest coat and gloves. Arrived in a sweat. Didn't expect that. Figured the windchill would cancel that out.

I have a Columbia windbreaker coming in the mail. I think that and a sweat shirt or light jacket under the windbreaker might be the right combo for above freezing. Warm gloves made a diff too.

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #57 on: March 23, 2018, 09:46:59 AM »
Get the right clothing.

I normally don't ride to work in winter (near freezing this morn) so I broke out my warmest coat and gloves. Arrived in a sweat. Didn't expect that. Figured the windchill would cancel that out.

I have a Columbia windbreaker coming in the mail. I think that and a sweat shirt or light jacket under the windbreaker might be the right combo for above freezing. Warm gloves made a diff too.
Getting the clothing just right for cold weather riding takes some practice. You can generate quite a bit of heat in your core while riding. If you're wearing warm enough clothing to be comfortable when you step outside, you will be sweating shortly after you start riding. Wintertime lows get near freezing where I live. I ride in jeans, a sweatshirt, gloves, and a head covering. I wear a windbreaker over the sweatshirt, but usually unzip it about 1/3 of the way through my 20 minute ride because my core generates plenty of heat, but my arms still tend to be a bit cold.

netskyblue

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #58 on: March 23, 2018, 10:13:34 AM »
Netskyblue...   what do you spend that extra hour a day on?  What would you give up if your commute took an extra hour a day?

My time is just too valuable to spend an hour a day extra on commuting.

More than likely, it'd end up coming out of sleep.  I have about 3 hours a night between when I get home from work, and when I go to bed.  Household chores, grocery shopping, dinner prep/eating/cleanup, and spending a little bit of time with my partner before sleep is nearly all I can fit in on weekdays.  Not that it *matters.*  I'm free to determine what is and is not a positive use of my time, and commuting is a definite not

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #59 on: March 23, 2018, 04:18:17 PM »
I'm looking at a RadWagon.  I was looking at cargo bikes, and the expense of them are the same as a RadWagon, so I'm not sure that there is a benefit to going with a traditional cargo bike.  I was also looking at getting a conversion kit and then buying a cheap bike on craigslist, but that would only be a few hundred less than the RadWagon and would rely on my mechanical skills (or lack thereof).  I'm interested to hear how Arbitrage does on theirs and if they have any problems.

I am very mechanically inclined but determined I might only save a couple hundred bucks building my own. Plus I liked the ideal of being able to transport my daughter on the bike.

I managed 13 miles of errands today. Went to two different grocery stores. First time taking the bike on a somewhat long commute. I might have to make some alterations to where I connect the cargo trailer but otherwise, a very fun and productive day. And my car didn't move an inch. Definitely not regretting the purchase. If you decide to buy from Rad Power Bikes I can give you a referral. I think we both get a $50 Amazon gift card.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #60 on: March 23, 2018, 04:19:53 PM »
BTW, there is also a $50 off coupon code floating around for their accessories. I managed to snag the Deckhand for $15 shipped.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #61 on: March 23, 2018, 04:36:04 PM »
I am about to buy a Lunacycle kit.   Bafang Mid Drive BBSO2, upgraded controller, battery, charger...

Holy crap.  Am I really about to spend $1100?  This is not in my normal Mustachian vocabulary!  Am I crazy?

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #62 on: March 23, 2018, 07:14:07 PM »

I am very mechanically inclined but determined I might only save a couple hundred bucks building my own. Plus I liked the ideal of being able to transport my daughter on the bike.

I managed 13 miles of errands today. Went to two different grocery stores. First time taking the bike on a somewhat long commute. I might have to make some alterations to where I connect the cargo trailer but otherwise, a very fun and productive day. And my car didn't move an inch. Definitely not regretting the purchase. If you decide to buy from Rad Power Bikes I can give you a referral. I think we both get a $50 Amazon gift card.

I did 19 miles of errands today!  Unfortunately, I had another 8 miles of errands I had to pull out the car for...couldn't really drag the dog to the vet on my bike.  Well, I suppose I could've, as she is a small dog, but...

I haven't hooked up the trailer to the e-bike yet.  It's set up for my regular bike, but I haven't carted anything but kids around in it thus far. 

So far, the bike is tip-top, though that's admittedly after only 120 miles on it, since I'm not yet commuting and have only been able to do weekend rides.  I had free assembly through Amazon; I actually assembled it myself, and had the technician do a few minor adjustments instead.  He actually built bikes for himself and others regularly, and had an e-bike that he built from a kit.  He was very impressed with my bike.  Hopefully mine will hold up in the long run; I'm starting to bone up on maintenance videos, since maintaining a well-used bike is not something I've done a whole lot of. 

As far as problems, the only thing that I could say is that the front brakes are a bit squeaky, but the tech attributed that to lower-than-top-notch brake pads; the brakes themselves are hydraulic disc brakes and very nice.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #63 on: March 24, 2018, 07:55:43 AM »
BTW, there is also a $50 off coupon code floating around for their accessories. I managed to snag the Deckhand for $15 shipped.

A pointer to the coupon or a PM with the code would be appreciated - I like their accessories, but prices seem way high.

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #64 on: March 24, 2018, 03:39:51 PM »
A bit more technical and anecdotal information on my bike's (Crosscurrent S with base battery) range/performance, since others expressed interested:

The bike has 5 boost levels (as well as a throttle):
S: I've barely used this, but it's the highest boost level.  I think it peaks at 750W, similar to boost level 3, but ramps up the boost much more quickly.
3: Peak assist is 750W.  I tend to use this when I'm riding in/with traffic on busy streets, to maintain 26-30 mph and accelerate quickly.
2: Peak assist is around 550W.  I've been using this on lower traffic streets, or when I'm feeling lazier in a bike lane.
1: Peak assist is about 375W.  Trying to use this setting as a default when I'm not sharing the road with cars, or on 25-mph residential streets.
ECO: Peak assist is about 250W.  Basically using on walkways, shared bike paths, parking lots.

Battery is nominally 48V / 12.8 Ah.

I took it for a 24-mile ride today, which included some significant hills, some fast flat sections in traffic, a slow meander up a beach boardwalk, and some relaxed residential streets.  I did about 1/3 of the ride on Level 3 boost, 1/2 on Level 1 (typical speed 22-25 mph, not counting hills), and the remainder on ECO by the beach.  I do often engage the throttle when starting from a standstill at lights/stop signs, as well. 

Initial voltage was between 55 and 56V.  Final voltage was 48.8.  Battery meter had emptied 3 of 9 ticks, meaning the indicator thinks that I had around 2/3 of the battery left.  I'm not sure if I believe that, but I am quite confident there was a lot of juice left, as the voltage was still above the nominal battery rating.  I'd have no qualms about undertaking a 40 mile ride given that ride profile, but I'll have to take some longer rides before I can be too confident about how far to push it.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 03:41:28 PM by Arbitrage »

ronsbusa3

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #65 on: March 25, 2018, 03:02:05 PM »
I am about to buy a Lunacycle kit.   Bafang Mid Drive BBSO2, upgraded controller, battery, charger...

Holy crap.  Am I really about to spend $1100?  This is not in my normal Mustachian vocabulary!  Am I crazy?
I bought a kit last June. Best thing I spent money on in a long time. 2100 miles and counting. I ride to work and the grocery store with my kit. I’m figuring some time this year it will pay for its self. I just hope it warms up here on the east coast.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #66 on: March 26, 2018, 11:40:26 AM »
Get the right clothing.

Getting the clothing just right for cold weather riding takes some practice. You can generate quite a bit of heat in your core while riding. If you're wearing warm enough clothing to be comfortable when you step outside, you will be sweating shortly after you start riding. Wintertime lows get near freezing where I live. I ride in jeans, a sweatshirt, gloves, and a head covering. I wear a windbreaker over the sweatshirt, but usually unzip it about 1/3 of the way through my 20 minute ride because my core generates plenty of heat, but my arms still tend to be a bit cold.

Rode this morn in ~35F temps. Wore my regular jacket and a new windbreaker (tissue thin!) over it. Made all the difference. No big bulky coat as before. Same warmth. I think my clothing kit is complete. Need panniers.

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #67 on: June 08, 2018, 09:07:22 AM »
After today, just 9 more days of car commuting left (got some days of personal travel and work travel before the end of the month).  Sure, there will be the occasional day where I have to drive in for appointments or work-related trips, but other than that, the new life is on the way!

This will coincide with my DW only needing to do one morning dropoff, going in to work later/getting more sleep, and our family childcare costs decreasing first by $200/month, then (2 months later) by an additional $250-300.  DS will also get to play with his sister during after-school care and see her on the playground.  Everyone is excited, except DD, who has to change schools for kindergarten.  Sorry kiddo, it's part of life.

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #68 on: June 08, 2018, 09:12:40 AM »
One other factoid for those with interest in an e-bike: I did set a new personal trip record of 32 miles.  This was mostly (probably 2/3 of the distance) on paved bike paths on the lowest level of boost.  Still had plenty of juice for full power on some busy roads at the end of the trip, and then some. 

I'd estimate you could do perhaps 55 miles using that level of boost, though I'm not planning any trips of that length.  The other thing I learned on that trip was to bring sustenance for bike rides that long!

elliha

• Bristles
« Reply #69 on: June 08, 2018, 09:28:41 AM »
I tried an e-bike this Wednesday and god dammit, I want it! I have a very run of the mill standard 7 speed bike I have put quite a few miles on which has put quite a bit of wear on it since I am heavy (a short woman weighing more like an average sized man) and I tow a two seat bike trolley with it. I have thought of getting a bike with more gears and that is slightly higher quality but having tried the e-bike I am strongly leaning towards an e-bike instead. It was awesome fun to just push the pedal a little and go *swosch* each time.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #70 on: June 14, 2018, 10:51:20 AM »
I did not renew insurance on the car, and I have been using my ebike kit since the end of April.   Mainly for all those errands, dentist / groceries, etc and meetings with my local volunteer group.

I did ride 30km (one way) to an all-day conference.   As I bought the smallest battery they had (to save money), i was surprised that the pedal assist mode lasted at least 25km on rolling hills.   

I did have to upgrade my lock when I discovered someone tried to cut through my old one.

Between that and the bus, I love the switch, and 6 months of car insurance savings pays for the ebike kit.

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #71 on: June 15, 2018, 08:53:09 AM »
I did have to upgrade my lock when I discovered someone tried to cut through my old one.
Every bike should be locked up with a U lock. A U lock won't stop a determined thief (easy enough to defeat with an angle grinder) but will pretty much guarantee that the thief who is simply looking for an easy target will look elsewhere.

I did not renew insurance on the car, and I have been using my ebike kit since the end of April.
6 months of car insurance savings pays for the ebike kit.
Not operating your car at all for 6 months is great, but you might pay slightly higher premiums when you reestablish auto insurance for the winter season than you would have if you kept it constant. Be sure you've done all the things needed to store your car for an extended period.

svosavvy

• Stubble
« Reply #72 on: June 18, 2018, 08:31:00 AM »
Hey great thread,

I just want to give big high fives to everyone making this life switch.  It isn't easy.  I have recently been ebike commuting.  I picked up the izip E3 dash.  I had been lusting after one for awhile.  They did the big price drop on the 2017's so I went for it back in february $2599 down to $2099.  I have about 800 miles on it so far and love it.  I had wanted to cheap out and get a lower priced one, but, the disc brakes and front shock are necessary for my commute of 23 miles roundtrip on rough rural western NY roads with monster elevation change between my house and my work.  I have a regular bike for joyriding w/family.  For me the ebike is the difference between doing it or not doing it.  It really is the bridge for me to get it done.  I'm a nurse in a rural 2 horse town and if my shift goes badly or I get mandated for a 16 hour shift there is literally no physical/mental/emotional gas left in the tank.  That is when I can basically let the bike ferry me home.  I'd say on the way in I do 80% effort 20% bike.  I do it because it makes me feel good, if I save a little money thats fine too.  Kinda funny, I live in a really economic depressed area so when a fat middle aged dude starts riding a bike usually it is assumed they lost their license DWI's etc. Have fun out there everyone.  P.S. if I did lose my license for some reason I would go high class and commute with a riding mower :)

NewbStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #73 on: June 18, 2018, 09:26:27 AM »
I am going to be moving closer to work in the next little while here, and I will be getting a bike to save on gas etc. I have considered an e-bike mostly do to the "arriving at work all sweaty" factor. But they are expensive, and I don't feel like I could leave it anywhere public (even locked) without worrying about it getting stolen. I think my other option would be to purchase a nice cheap used bike and just change my clothes when I get to work (even though that's a bit annoying.).

What do you guys do to deal with the sweat aspect?

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #74 on: June 19, 2018, 09:32:10 AM »
I am going to be moving closer to work in the next little while here, and I will be getting a bike to save on gas etc. I have considered an e-bike mostly do to the "arriving at work all sweaty" factor. But they are expensive, and I don't feel like I could leave it anywhere public (even locked) without worrying about it getting stolen. I think my other option would be to purchase a nice cheap used bike and just change my clothes when I get to work (even though that's a bit annoying.).

I change clothes for my bike commute. I pack my work clothes daily in a pannier bag (I don't like biking with a backpack on). I could probably learn to bike slowly enough to not need to change, but I don't want to.

aetheldrea

• Stubble
« Reply #75 on: June 19, 2018, 10:14:35 AM »
I wear bike shorts for butt comfort, hang them up to dry in my cubicle. Bring in several pairs of underwear and pants once a week to change into, bring the underwear home each day to change back into. I wear golf shirts to bike in and at work, they don’t stay wet. I take a shower every morning and put on deodorant, so my sweat doesn’t smell. I live in a pretty mild climate.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #76 on: June 19, 2018, 05:20:05 PM »
Argh.  I had a moment today -- about when the battery died on the ebike (I knew it would, I did not charge it affter my last ride, as I had about 40% power went, and I went errand running today for the exercise anyway.).

My key errand by bike was to buy fuel stabilizer for the vehicle I will keep in extended storage.   A bit ironic.

elliha

• Bristles
« Reply #77 on: June 20, 2018, 04:15:32 AM »
I have never had a commute long enough that I considered wearing special clothes. I will of course wear weather appropriate clothes like waterproof garments when it is raining or a jacket if it is a bit chilly but I just wear my regular clothes. When I had a longish commute of about 4.5 miles I would do a quick wipe of my armpits with a moist paper towel two times over when I got to work and a wipe down of my face with a paper towel. I would then reapply deodorant. I don't have a fancy bike nor do I go as fast as I can though, it is still much faster than walking and similar to or faster than the bus.

With a longer ride to work I would probably use some kind of work out clothes to and from work and change at work. I have never used bike shorts ever but I do see the appeal and with a long commute that would be something I might buy. I live in Sweden though so a lot of the time I would need full length pants so I assume I would need two layers or are there ones that are full length too? I don't ride a bike in the winter but I understand you often then need a thinner coat, thin thermal pants or something to keep your legs warm since they get more cold than they do from walking and a good hat and very good gloves. I do get cold hands from riding my bike already in autumn so I use bike gloves or regular gloves or both then. In summer I prefer to not wear bike gloves as I have pretty sweaty palms if I do and hate that sensation.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #78 on: June 20, 2018, 07:35:29 AM »

My Radwagon comes with a keyed detachable battery pack. I typically lock the bike up, detach the battery and take it with me. Sometimes I'll bring a backpack to store it in. The bike is pretty pointless with no battery.

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #79 on: June 20, 2018, 09:18:28 AM »
I have never used bike shorts ever but I do see the appeal and with a long commute that would be something I might buy. I live in Sweden though so a lot of the time I would need full length pants so I assume I would need two layers or are there ones that are full length too?
I typically wear baggy bike shorts with a separate padded liner. I've never tried cycling jerseys - regular tee shirts work fine for me. I like padded finger-less gloves.

When it gets cold (not very cold here), I wear the padded liner under regular pants and a sweatshirt and/or jacket over the tee shirt and either thin knit gloves under my padded finger-less gloves or regular full finger gloves. In spring and autumn some days are chilly in the morning but warm in the afternoon, so I've thought about getting leg warmers and arm warmers to wear with my shorts and tee shirt in the morning and pack home in the afternoon. Of course you can get full length cycling tights for cooler weather rides if you want.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #80 on: June 20, 2018, 03:02:20 PM »
Clothing --
My formula -- shower in the morning, wear cycling clothing, bring a small towel.  Starting clean really helps even if you sweat later.
Change into work clothing at work (mopping up / clean up with towel).

The only thing I need to be aware of is to not put on the work clothing while I am still warm from exertion, so a cold shower at work helped (when that was possible), otherwise, I need to cool down in my cycling clothing before changing.

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #81 on: June 20, 2018, 04:36:33 PM »
The only thing I need to be aware of is to not put on the work clothing while I am still warm from exertion, so a cold shower at work helped (when that was possible), otherwise, I need to cool down in my cycling clothing before changing.
Yes, a cool down is important. I usually start my cool down a few blocks away from work. I'm still cooling down as I lock up my bike, make my way to the restroom, and unpacking my work clothing. Sometimes I even pack up my cycling clothing nude before putting on my work clothing to give myself a little longer cooling down.

robtown

• Stubble
« Reply #82 on: June 20, 2018, 08:01:59 PM »
In December my job moved back to within 10 miles from home (half on rail trail).   I used to commute with my normal road bikes but am much heavier, older, and out of shape.   I picked up a ProdecoTech Phantom 400 eBike this early spring.  It is heavy with disc brakes, and can only do about 20 miles (not 30+) at my weight.  I'll be riding my third trip to work tomorrow.    I will probably stay with this bike until I get enough strength and training rides on my non eBikes.    It forces me to work more than the recumbent.

I also bought my wife the step through white version of the eBike.  I got both new for the Amazon unit price.   I bought them from a flipper who got them off a local bike shop that couldn't figure out how to sell eBikes.

I also have a very expensive powered tadpole recumbent trike that can really haul.  I bought it with proceeds of flipping dozens of bikes.  It has a bad cell in it's battery pack, so it's range is down to 20 miles with pedaling until I figure out how to fix.   That one powers on at 4mph and can haul me up steep hills.  It also coasts fast/far and can hit speeds in the 30s.   I usually average in the low 20's.

My wife and I will never be car free, but perhaps we can get down to one car within a few years when we are both retired.

elliha

• Bristles
« Reply #83 on: June 21, 2018, 02:08:39 AM »
I have never used bike shorts ever but I do see the appeal and with a long commute that would be something I might buy. I live in Sweden though so a lot of the time I would need full length pants so I assume I would need two layers or are there ones that are full length too?
I typically wear baggy bike shorts with a separate padded liner. I've never tried cycling jerseys - regular tee shirts work fine for me. I like padded finger-less gloves.

When it gets cold (not very cold here), I wear the padded liner under regular pants and a sweatshirt and/or jacket over the tee shirt and either thin knit gloves under my padded finger-less gloves or regular full finger gloves. In spring and autumn some days are chilly in the morning but warm in the afternoon, so I've thought about getting leg warmers and arm warmers to wear with my shorts and tee shirt in the morning and pack home in the afternoon. Of course you can get full length cycling tights for cooler weather rides if you want.

Nice! I have never really seen anything but actual shorts but I have not really dived into it. We do have one specialist bike shop in our town (and several with different types of sporting equipment) so I might have to go to that one and really look through the clothing section. A liner sounds like a good idea that I will check out. If I can't find anything like that at the cycling store I will check out online sources but clothes like this that are tight-fitting I tend to like to buy at least the first one at a store where I can see them and maybe also try them on. If you have one pair that fits you can use it for measurements even if you get one from another company and then the online world is open for you. I haven't checked out the bike shop yet since it is at a location that is relatively far from both our house and my work so going there is a separate trip. I might have to either get my husband to go there with me or I will tell him I want to go there and go there after work if it fits with their opening hours and my work hours.

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #84 on: June 21, 2018, 08:37:33 AM »
Nice! I have never really seen anything but actual shorts but I have not really dived into it. We do have one specialist bike shop in our town (and several with different types of sporting equipment) so I might have to go to that one and really look through the clothing section. A liner sounds like a good idea that I will check out. If I can't find anything like that at the cycling store I will check out online sources but clothes like this that are tight-fitting I tend to like to buy at least the first one at a store where I can see them and maybe also try them on. If you have one pair that fits you can use it for measurements even if you get one from another company and then the online world is open for you. I haven't checked out the bike shop yet since it is at a location that is relatively far from both our house and my work so going there is a separate trip. I might have to either get my husband to go there with me or I will tell him I want to go there and go there after work if it fits with their opening hours and my work hours.
I think your chances of finding a good fitting set of tights locally is very slim, but you should have a reasonable chance of finding shorts that would work under other pants. Good luck.

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #85 on: June 21, 2018, 01:18:18 PM »
Part of the reason for the e-bike for me is to cruise in and minimize the sweatiness in the morning.  Since I live in a mild climate (coastal SoCal) and arrive at work very early, it shouldn't be much of an issue outside of the 1-2 serious heat waves per year.  I will be packing athletic clothes to change into before the ride home. 

One note about locks - all U-locks are not created equal.  Some of the flimsier U-locks can be defeated with a big pair of cutters; no power tools needed.  For a more expensive bike like most e-bikes, I'd think $20-40 bucks extra on a beefier U-lock is a worthwhile investment. 

startbyservingothers

• Stubble
    • A Full Year
« Reply #86 on: June 23, 2018, 04:05:52 PM »
Props to everyone making the switch.  Just a warning that this is definitely something that you buy new or VERY carefully used.  I bought an older 24V prodeco for $500 a few years ago.  Helped slightly on takeoff and slightly on hills. ( I.e. it will keep you from coming to a complete stop.)  Since I live in rolling hills that was just enough to get me to work and back.

I ended up growing out of it pretty quickly.   I eventually decided to resell it while I could still get my money back out of it. 
The big benefits or owning and general takeaways were:
1.  Prodeco actually makes a pretty high quality sturdy (HEAVY) bike. 
2. I didn't really become that dependent on the electric since it didn't really help that much anyways.
3.  My town has bike racks on buses.  So I could stay dry if a rain storm came.

Again glad the electric is working out for so many folks here. 

svosavvy

• Stubble
« Reply #87 on: June 26, 2018, 08:53:22 AM »
I had a delivery guy at work tell me the other day I was "cheating" using an ebike when we were talking bikes.  I attempted to explain my pov which is I use the ebike as a car replacement and I still joyride with friends/family on my specialized sirrus.  I feel it is very mustachian despite the upfront cost to ebike if it means the car stays in the driveway or replaced altogether.  After the delivery guy left I thought of a good comeback (I'm "cheating" on my car with an ebike :)  I am definitely not a cyclist just someone who gets a kick out of riding bicycles electric or no.  I am dad in a traditional family of four, we have 2 cars.  I bug my wife all the time about going one car.  She is super skeptical so I feel committing rain/shine to bike to work plan shows her I'm willing to put in the work.  Started Apr 1st with the ebike and probably going to hit 1000 miles next week.  Kudos to all that put in the effort riding to work.

As an aside I have found when I ride in downpours my fenders are pretty awesome except they funnel water right at my feet, so my shoes while waterproof still end up feeling like I took a dunk in the creek.  I have been thinking about waterproof shoe covers.  Lately, I wear crum shoes when I know I will get caught in it and putting my primary shoes in the pack.

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #88 on: July 20, 2018, 08:21:19 AM »
3 weeks in:

Things are largely going as planned.  The car is sitting in the garage, barely used but for the occasional carting of kids, though I broke down and drove to the dentist 17 miles away.  I tried to figure out a safe ride there by a lot of google mapping, but couldn't quite get comfortable with it (Los Angeles).  I gave the route a test drive rather than taking the freeway, and ended up happy that I didn't bike it; the route would need some tweaks for safety. 

The commute itself is very nice, and I'm in a much better mood before/during/after.  Occasionally, I mentally grumble a bit before getting on my bike, but that ceases within 15 seconds of riding.  It ends up taking me perhaps 3-5 minutes longer than driving on the way to work (20-22 minutes rather than 15-20), and 0-5 minutes longer on the way home (25-30 minutes in rush hour traffic).  I've been continually tweaking the route and/or scoping out alternatives, especially on the way home, due to traffic patterns. 

Exercise - gotta love it.  I've added an extra pre-dinner bowl of cereal/oats/fresh fruit.  Legs are getting a bit stronger (for biking - different than my power-lifting strength), even though I barely work them on the ride in.  Still going on the occasional leisure ride, where I'm definitely noticing the improvement.

No close calls with cars, but part of that is due diligence.  Scoped out a lady staring at her phone who veered into the bike lane without looking and braked prematurely.  Had to brake a few times for other cars who underestimate my speed (or just didn't care) and cut me off to turn right.  It's the bike lane section of the busy road I'm looking to minimize come the darker/wetter time of the year because of observations like these.  I did map out an alternative, but haven't tried it yet; it does involve some sidewalk riding, which I don't love.

Weather - it's summer.  This is easy!  We did have a nasty heat wave recently, and since I am wearing my work clothes on the way in, I kept things super easy on the ride in.  That's been the only adjustment so far.  Winter will be a new challenge, I know.  Bought some rain gear and shoe covers.  Need to plan out my cold weather gear as well. 

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!