Author Topic: making money killing our clown car commutes  (Read 3916 times)

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
making money killing our clown car commutes
« on: May 31, 2014, 06:56:06 AM »
It's been a pretty big spring for us. Before all these changes, I would drive ~26 miles round trip and my wife would drive ~30 miles round trip every day. I found MMM a few years ago and realized how silly this was. I knew we needed to make a change and was searching for a way to make that happen. It all started with me taking a different position in the company and HAVING to relocate. So we relocated to the town I would have to be reporting in. This eliminated my car commute and Ive been happily pedaling (~1 mile if i take the most direct route) my way to better physical and financial health ever since.
     This however posed a problem for my wife and her commute. Her commute was then ~40 miles one way. The saving and more cash flow from the new position where still a positive thing but I knew my wife would not want to spend nearly two hours a day in a car. As luck would have it a position opened up at the school (she teaches special Ed) here in town less than a half mile from the house. She applied and got the position. Now neither one of use have to drive. I know before we were spending at least $300 a month on gas just to get to and from work. We were also putting a lot of wear and tear on our vehicles.
    Wait it gets better. The house we where living in previously we bought on an action for about half market value. It was in pretty bad shape when we bought but structure wise it was great. we started renovating it room by room as we had the spare money. We just sold it friday for what I would consider a fairly decent profit. I was really concerned it wasn't going to sell very quickly but I didn't even have time to get it on the market.
     Then we figured why stop there. we got rid of direct TV (just never hooked it up at the new place) and have been using Free antenna (i still like to watch my local news and drink coffee in the morning). I've also been able to get rid of my fancy pants IPhone because the company is now providing me with one. My wife still has hers and I'm fine with that for now we've made considerable progress in a very short time frame. I have been really working through this whole deal trying to be as optimistic as possible. I think that has made the whole transition a lot easier.

zataks

• Bristles
Re: making money killing our clown car commutes
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 07:04:28 AM »
Heck ya!  Great progress!  I'll be trying public transit next week for my commute and hopefully following in your footsteps by leaving the car in the garage during the work week!

Rpesek6904

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 08:18:34 PM »
Good job! Sounds awesome to be you.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 05:25:57 AM »
Good for you!

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 05:34:07 AM »
Thanks everybody. It rained here last night so I am really looking forward to cruising to work dodging puddles and just enjoying the nice cool morning air. Might leave early and add a few more miles this morning.

Ottawa

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2014, 05:37:39 AM »
Whoah!  Bows down.

Icecreamarsenal

• Pencil Stache
  • Burnt
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2014, 05:47:09 AM »
Congrats man. Another inspiring step for us all to follow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't Wait

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2014, 07:46:18 AM »
Congrats on killing your commute. Although 26 - 30 miles round trip would be great in my neck of the woods. I'm at about 60 miles round trip right now, down from 106 miles round trip not too long ago.

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2014, 04:34:51 PM »
Congrats on killing your commute. Although 26 - 30 miles round trip would be great in my neck of the woods. I'm at about 60 miles round trip right now, down from 106 miles round trip not too long ago.
The reason ours was so long was because we wanted to live out in the country and kind of "farmstead". Between propane,  gasoline, and the property taxes on the land it was costing us a small fortune. I was trying to build my conditioning up to bike it but I hadn't been on a bike since I turned 16 so I was not in any condition to do so. The towns around here are so small everybody should be biking just about everywhere.our new house is about as far from my work as you can get and still be in town. It's only 1.4 miles lol I can be there in less than five minutes. I have started taking detours to get a little more bike time in. I'm amazed at how relaxing it is for me.

JoyBlogette

• Stubble
    • My Journal
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2014, 10:06:25 AM »
You're living the dream.  Enjoy it!  Your changes are very inspiring.  Congrats on your new lifestyle and having the courage to take the first step and keep the ball rolling.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!