Author Topic: Made pepper jelly  (Read 8762 times)

ambimammular

• Bristles
Made pepper jelly
« on: July 22, 2015, 10:07:37 PM »
After discovering how amazing pepper jelly is on a tortilla wrapped up with avocado I went through three jars from Trader Joe's. Damn. That adds up.

No more.

My bestie and I tried out an online recipe while sipping drinks. So easy, so tasty. In theory I could add less sugar to make it less unhealthy, but nah. I think were are going to make this for holiday presents for our favorite librarians this year. 

MoonShadow

• Magnum Stache
Re: Made pepper jelly
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2015, 11:24:02 PM »
What is pepper jelly?

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 12:14:32 AM »
Recipe, please?

Nannooskeeska

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2015, 12:18:02 PM »

cautiouspessimist

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2015, 01:03:24 PM »
Recipe, please?

I second this request.

Thirded. Motion carries. You are now required to provide the recipe.

Patrick A

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2015, 06:03:24 PM »

wienerdog

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2015, 06:36:00 PM »
I found a BBQ joint 2 years ago that served it with their cornbread.  It was the best!  I should look into making some also.

midweststache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2015, 08:26:53 PM »
Recipe, please?

Thirded. Motion carries. You are now required to provide the recipe.

Fourthed?

Fifthed.

I take half a jar of Harry and David's pepper jelly mixed with an 8oz block of cream cheese as a dip to parties. It is ALWAYS a hit. A homemade pepper jelly would be a huge boon.
I second this request.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 08:38:37 PM by midweststache »

Secretly Saving

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2015, 08:32:47 PM »
I have a family member who makes pepper jelly.  It is like GOLD.  I hoard those jars. 
Put some on sharp cheddar cheese and a triscuit/wheat thin.  YUUUUUMMMM!

I want the recipe too!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2015, 10:28:47 PM »
Here is the Habanero Gold Jelly recipe from the Ball canning book.  I made a couple batches and damn' it's good.  Yeah, I just spread it on some aged white cheddar and it's heaven. 

http://www.food.com/recipe/habanero-gold-jelly-132932

Upthread someone asked about a good chile paste recipe.  I used up my excess crop of Thai chiles last year with a sambal oelek paste that we dubbed hell sauce, though its heat has tamed over these many months.  You can either just buzz up the stemmed chiles with some salt and vinegar, or you can put the chiles in a brine and let them ferment, then drain and buzz them up in to a paste. I think I went the fermentation route, but can't remember for sure. Really nothing to it either way.  You could add some garlic and/or fish sauce if you want to get fancy.

Riff

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2015, 10:52:10 PM »
My sister gave me a jar of homemade jalapeno jelly.  I never had it before so I didn't do anything with it for quite a while.  I ended up mixing a couple tablespoons with garlic, chili powder, and lime juice, and using it as a marinade on grilled chicken.  It was amazeballs!

Now I need more of the jelly.

Gimesalot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2015, 05:17:14 PM »
Pepper jelly is the best.  It goes very well on cornflake crusted fried chicken livers!

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2015, 05:39:58 PM »
It would be good as a dip on cream cheese with some cilantro and chopped nuts and diced red onions.

MishMash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2015, 07:54:19 AM »
I made a big batch a few weeks ago using this recipe http://www.food.com/recipe/jalapeno-jelly-312033 Had friends over last week and served it...they all stole a jar when they left, now I need more jars and more pepper jelly lol.

ambimammular

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2015, 07:21:50 PM »
I just did an allrecipies.com search. So no passed-down-family recipe from me. In fact mine turned out a little more runny than I would have liked, but it sure hasn't slowed me down from eating it!

So far we've had it in:
avocado wraps
quesadillas
Indian dahl
with cream cheese on celery sticks

But I'd really like to try it as a marinade for chicken on the grill.

ambimammular

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2015, 07:32:32 PM »
Ok, here's the one we used. The runniness problems I had were probably because we used liquid pectin. That's what I had on hand. So don't overcorrect for my mistakes.
Let me know if you have good luck or a better recipe.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Hot-Pepper-Jelly/Detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Thumb&e11=pepper%20jelly&e8=Quick%20Search&event10=1&e7=Home%20Page&soid=sr_results_p1i4

Also, I would use this as salad dressing, and I'm tempted to put it in a mixed drink...hmm.

Trudie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2015, 02:52:57 PM »
I made it one year and it was yummy and also presents beautifully -- perfect for gifts.

I have not tried it yet, but will probably substitute agave nectar for the sugar next time and see if it works.  It may be kind of runny, but will still taste the same.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2015, 05:39:39 PM »
Here is the Habanero Gold Jelly recipe from the Ball canning book.  I made a couple batches and damn' it's good.  Yeah, I just spread it on some aged white cheddar and it's heaven. 

Upthread someone asked about a good chile paste recipe.  I used up my excess crop of Thai chiles last year with a sambal oelek paste that we dubbed hell sauce, though its heat has tamed over these many months.  You can either just buzz up the stemmed chiles with some salt and vinegar, or you can put the chiles in a brine and let them ferment, then drain and buzz them up in to a paste. I think I went the fermentation route, but can't remember for sure. Really nothing to it either way.  You could add some garlic and/or fish sauce if you want to get fancy.

Have you tried this recipe with just jalapeños? I think have euros would be too hot for me.

Have you ever made tomato jam? I made it the last couple of years, easy way to use up lots of ugly tomatoes at the end of the season. My husband loves tomatoes, and hates tomato jam. I looked for a recipe after eating at Red Rooster on a vacation, they serve cornbread with tomato jam.

Gumbo1978

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2015, 08:04:55 AM »
Throw some in an oven safe bowl on top of  brie cheese and serve with crackers.  Amazing.

FLBiker

• Handlebar Stache
    • Chop Wood Carry FIRE
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2015, 08:16:51 AM »
Thanks for this!  I did a cranberry habenero jelly last year.  Reminds me, I need to open a jar!

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2015, 10:59:11 AM »
Thanks for this!  I did a cranberry habenero jelly last year.  Reminds me, I need to open a jar!

Recipe??

MishMash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2015, 12:54:00 PM »

Recipe??

G dog, you can use the one I posted above, I used it as the base for my raspberry habanero pepper jelly this past weekend, I just threw the raspberries in with the peppers in the food processor and let it boil for an additional 2 minutes to let the excess water out before adding the liquid pectin.   Those that are saying issues with runny jelly, 2 things I have found with pepper jelly, one you have to boil the mix for a few to release excess moisture before adding the liquid pectin and two, don't boil it after adding the pectin for more then a minute to a minute and a half, for some reason the liquid pectin can overcook really quickly.

jooles

• Stubble
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2015, 01:09:16 PM »
Love pepper jelly

Here are some additional tips.

You can substitute any fruit for some or all of the peppers in a recipe.  Fruits have a higher pH than peppers and you need to make modifications to the recipe that consider the acidity of the final product.  Do not add more solids than the recipe calls for. 

I make peach habanero pepper jelly it is a beautiful bright orange and it's delicious too.

Check out nchfp.uga.edu for tips on how to preserve foods at home safely.  freshpreserving.com is also a source for safe home canning recipes. 
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 03:52:19 PM by jooles »

OlyFish

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2015, 09:20:05 PM »
http://laurenlosefast.blogspot.com/2010/07/six-pepper-jelly.html?m=1

This is a recipe I used for 6 pepper jelly. It is delicious.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2015, 02:39:46 PM »

Have you tried this recipe with just jalapeños? I think have euros would be too hot for me.

Have you ever made tomato jam? I made it the last couple of years, easy way to use up lots of ugly tomatoes at the end of the season. My husband loves tomatoes, and hates tomato jam. I looked for a recipe after eating at Red Rooster on a vacation, they serve cornbread with tomato jam.

Sorry, just saw this.  Part of the charm of habanero jelly is the lovely golden color, so I think jalapenos would ruin it unless you use red ones.  The seeded habaneros really don't make it super spicy with the amount of fruit and sugar in the recipe.

Tomato jam sounds like a good idea.  I'm trying to avoid making sauce this year because I still have a fair amount left over from last year.

kvaruni

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2015, 02:46:32 PM »
just want to chip in with "our" recipe:
http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/chilli-jam-2692

too easy, and a wonderful jam!

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2015, 03:20:05 PM »

Sorry, just saw this.  Part of the charm of habanero jelly is the lovely golden color, so I think jalapenos would ruin it unless you use red ones.  The seeded habaneros really don't make it super spicy with the amount of fruit and sugar in the recipe.

Tomato jam sounds like a good idea.  I'm trying to avoid making sauce this year because I still have a fair amount left over from last year.

Yes, the golden color is very lovely - almost looks like orange marmalade.

Tomato jam is easy - no peeling or seeding, has some spices. I made some two years ago, I thought I had saved the recipe, but couldn't find it. Looked at a bunch of recipes (to get the ratio of fruit to sugar, etc.) and then made one up on my own. OR, you could check Marcus Samuelson's book for his tomato jam recipe (I haven't checked my library yet).

ambimammular

• Bristles
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2015, 08:33:12 AM »
So what are you guys putting tomato jam on? Cornbread...

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2015, 01:37:47 PM »
So what are you guys putting tomato jam on? Cornbread...

That is what they do at Red Rooster (Marcus Samuelson' restaurant).

A friend made a tomato jam and peanut butter sandwich (I have not).
Good as a sandwich spread, good on brats or other fatty meats, good as a base for salad dressing (vinaigrette), I think it would be good in / on meatloaf (vs. ketchup topper).
I have put it on buttered toast...

jooles

• Stubble
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2015, 02:54:37 PM »
Tomato jam is absolutely fabulous.  Try it, your mouth will delight and your brain will come alight with all sorts of ideas about how to use it.

Just made 4 kinds of raspberry jam for the local country fair jam competition.  Helped my grandson make one.  His idea was raspberry-pomegranate.  He won 5th place and also Most Creative and Best Presentation.  I am beyond delighted.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2015, 06:14:41 PM »
Tomato jam is absolutely fabulous.  Try it, your mouth will delight and your brain will come alight with all sorts of ideas about how to use it.

Just made 4 kinds of raspberry jam for the local country fair jam competition.  Helped my grandson make one.  His idea was raspberry-pomegranate.  He won 5th place and also Most Creative and Best Presentation.  I am beyond delighted.

Do you have a favorite tomato jam recipe or use?

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2015, 02:46:03 PM »
Thanks for this idea!  Tried the following amalgamation of recipes from various web sites and had good success for first-timers.  As first-timers, we bought the equipment shown in http://canninggranny.blogspot.com/p/water-bath-canning-for-beginners.html.  Also appreciated the pectin discussion in http://foodbycarrie.blogspot.com/2012/07/jalapeno-jelly-8-half-pint.html.

Jalapeno Jelly (mild)
Six 8-oz canning jars
15 red jalapeno peppers, veins and seeds removed (leave 'em in for "medium")
1 cup apple cider vinegar (white vinegar should also work)
Blend together in food processor until pureed.

Prepare canning pot, jars, screw tops and frypan to hold lids.  Place empty, open jars on rack in canning pot to ensure water is deep enough to cover by ~1.5”.
When canning pot starts to boil, reduce heat, remove and drain jars and pour enough hot water into frypan to cover lids.

Pour puree into Dutch oven (high sides keep foam off the heating element), and add...
1 cup apple cider vinegar (again, white vinegar should also work)
Small (~1/8” thick pat) amount of butter to minimize later foaming
Immediately whisk in 1 pkg. (1.75 oz.) Sure-Jell dry pectin

Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring often

Keeping heat on high, add 5 cups granulated sugar and whisk well to dissolve.
Bring to full, rolling boil (you are there when mixture starts to foam) for 1 minute.

Remove from heat and quickly skim any foam (if any) off the top with a metal spoon. (Didn't have any foam to speak of, maybe due to use of butter)

Ladle hot jam into jars, leaving a ¼” headspace. 
Wipe rim of jars with damp cloth to remove jelly. 
Place lids on jars, and tighten screw tops to fingertip tightness. 

Place jars back in canning pot, bring water to a boil, and maintain a light boil for 10 minutes. 
Remove from canner and allow to cool and seal. 

Listen for the PING of each successfully sealed jar!

Once jars have sealed, they can be turned upside down (and back to right side up, and back...) as needed, while the jelly sets, if the pepper pieces are concentrating in one end of the jar.

Made a somewhat spicier batch with
2 large orange bell peppers, veins and seeds removed
5 red salsa peppers and 5 red cayenne peppers, including veins and ~1/2 seeds.  Might leave in all the seeds, or replace the bell peppers with spicier varieties, for the next batch. :)