Author Topic: Made my own glass cleaner  (Read 1840 times)

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
Made my own glass cleaner
« on: October 26, 2015, 09:33:27 AM »
I ran out of glass cleaner yesterday before I ran out of windows. So I made my own - vinegar and water. I did 50/50, but apparently didn't need nearly that much vinegar. It's cheap, effective, and doesn't set off my asthma!

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
Re: Made my own glass cleaner
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2015, 09:40:30 AM »
I ran out of glass cleaner yesterday before I ran out of windows. So I made my own - vinegar and water. I did 50/50, but apparently didn't need nearly that much vinegar. It's cheap, effective, and doesn't set off my asthma!
This is what I use, only I dilute 1:5.  It works as an effective every-day multi-purpose surface cleaner (though maybe not with granite countertops - mine are wood).  Add 2-3 drops of food-grade citrus oil per bottle to make it smell nice (I the same lemon-oil extract you'd use in baking muffins and cakes, though almond or peppermint or any other flavor/smell would work equally well).

Works great, super cheap, and best of all I don't have to worry about spraying surfaces that might come into contact with food (countertops, kitchen table, around plates and dishes).

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
Re: Made my own glass cleaner
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2015, 09:44:22 AM »
I do this too!  I do similarly to nereo and do about 20% vinegar with 5-10 drops of lemon oil.  Works great as a glass cleaner or general multi-surface cleaner, and don't have to worry about getting it on food surfaces or surfaces the dogs come in contact with (for example: everywhere).

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!