Author Topic: Made $800 doing nothing yesterday.  (Read 3049 times)

RethinkTheRatRace

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Rethink The Rat Race
Made $800 doing nothing yesterday.
« on: August 21, 2017, 09:26:02 AM »
So, I went down to Alabama this weekend for a wedding. I had a surplus of points, so I booked flights for free and flew down Saturday morning, and flew back Sunday morning. On my way back, the flight from Atlanta to St. Louis was overbooked by 4 people (everybody is trying to fly to STL for the eclipse). I wasn't really in any rush to get home, so I was already planning on giving up my seat for the right price. They offered $500 to get bumped. No one budged. They offered $600. Same result. I was standing toward the front close to the ticket counter, and me and a couple guys were talking about volunteering. I convinced them to hold out for more money. So they offered $700. People started talking about it. Then they bumped it up to $800 and I saw a couple people get up, so I jumped up to the counter along with the guys I had been discussing it with. They offered to give me a direct flight but it didn't leave till 7 hours later. Or I could take an extra flight to Minneapolis that left in less than 3 hours, and then another flight to STL, which would still arrive an hour and a half earlier than the direct flight. So I took the extra flights. Not only would I not have to sit around in the terminal for 7 hours, or leave the airport to fill that time, but I would also be flying more miles, and getting more points out of it. All in all, not a bad day.

Debts_of_Despair

• Pencil Stache
Re: Made $800 doing nothing yesterday.
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2017, 10:31:22 AM »
Cash or a voucher for future travel?

RethinkTheRatRace

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Rethink The Rat Race
Re: Made $800 doing nothing yesterday.
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2017, 10:37:49 AM »
Cash or a voucher for future travel?

It was a voucher for future travel. I wish it was cash though...