Author Topic: Lowe's 10% Price Match  (Read 5507 times)

Fishingmn

• Bristles
  • You never have to recover from a good start
Lowe's 10% Price Match
« on: June 16, 2014, 02:32:27 PM »
I needed a new dryer for one of my rental properties. Found Whirlpool with very good reviews at Lowe's for $460. I usually like Lowe's because they do free delivery, installation and haul away with their appliance deliveries which means I don't have to be at the rental property - they just deal with my tenant.

Then I went to Best Buy and found the same dryer for $350! At that price they don't offer free delivery.

I then remembered that Lowe's does a 10% price match so I printed the Best Buy page, went into the store and got them to sell it to me for $315 with all the freebies.

Not sure the department manager was happy about it but I felt like I got a great bargain.

Blindsquirrel

• Pencil Stache
Re: Lowe's 10% Price Match
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2014, 04:26:22 PM »
   Get a Lowes business credit card and knock another 5% of everything from Lowes, all the time.

stubby

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2014, 07:19:11 PM »
I really made them mad last year buying a fridge, originally $2799 it was marked down to $1699.00 at Home Depot, went to Lowe's to buy it and they did the 10%, went back the next day to do the same for my mother in law, Lowe's had made the adjustment, but went to $1699.99, technically still .99 above Home Depot, they really griped about it, but the manager eventually gave in. Two fridges for $1530 each that were originally $2800, they weren't happy.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2014, 08:27:12 PM »
I really made them mad last year buying a fridge, originally $2799 it was marked down to $1699.00 at Home Depot, went to Lowe's to buy it and they did the 10%, went back the next day to do the same for my mother in law, Lowe's had made the adjustment, but went to $1699.99, technically still .99 above Home Depot, they really griped about it, but the manager eventually gave in. Two fridges for $1530 each that were originally $2800, they weren't happy.

Why the hell would you pay $1500 for a refrigerator?

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2014, 08:22:44 AM »

Can't speak for the OP, but I can give you a scenario where it might make sense - we're facing a choice of a $1500 fridge or a new kitchen.  Bought a house, fridge is about 25 years old (possibly as old as 27 based on serial numbers).  It's a smaller size fridge, and opens into the peninsula.  So we need a side by side fridge or french door fridge to get into the fridge and a small size, the dimensions of which all add up to options starting about $1500.  Or we could renovate the kitchen and make space for a modern fridge that maybe doesn't open into the peninsula.  We wanted to replace it when we first moved in (before it broke and also to cut down on the energy bills), but have held off because we're not happy about our options.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 09:56:47 AM by CommonCents »

Spartana

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2014, 09:43:07 AM »
Lowes and Home Depo also give military Veterans and active duty 10% all the time. Just bring ID.

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2014, 10:13:49 AM »
hahaha - nice work man.

nawhite

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Reckless Choice
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2014, 11:06:38 AM »

Can't speak for the OP, but I can give you a scenario where it might make sense - we're facing a choice of a $1500 fridge or a new kitchen.  Bought a house, fridge is about 25 years old (possibly as old as 27 based on serial numbers).  It's a smaller size fridge, and opens into the peninsula.  So we need a side by side fridge or french door fridge to get into the fridge and a small size, the dimensions of which all add up to options starting about $1500.  Or we could renovate the kitchen and make space for a modern fridge that maybe doesn't open into the peninsula.  We wanted to replace it when we first moved in (before it broke and also to cut down on the energy bills), but have held off because we're not happy about our options.

I think you missed Rural's point. I can find a REALLY nice side by side fridge on craigslist for $500, and then I can pay a friend with a truck a case of beer to help me move it to my place. And, I can get paid another $100 from the local energy company to haul my old fridge away (its part of an energy efficiency campaign). A $1500 fridge is at least $1000 more than I would pay for one.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2014, 11:25:11 AM »

I think you missed Rural's point. I can find a REALLY nice side by side fridge on craigslist for $500, and then I can pay a friend with a truck a case of beer to help me move it to my place. And, I can get paid another $100 from the local energy company to haul my old fridge away (its part of an energy efficiency campaign). A $1500 fridge is at least $1000 more than I would pay for one.

Ok let me try again as well: That plan works great if you have the space for a standard size fridge, the type you are likely to find on CL.  I don't.  A standard side by side does not fit in my kitchen.  While I might get lucky randomly, I could look for 2-3 years on craigslist and not find one that does before my current one breaks.  (And if I did, odds are pretty high I'd be trading one broken old energy-inefficient fridge for another.)  Not all kitchen spaces are well designed.  Mine sucks.  But paying more for a fridge that fits the space is cheaper than rehabbing the kitchen.  At the moment we're just holding our breath that our 25-27 yr old fridge doesn't blow up while we try to figure out a reasonable option, because losing the food in our fridge/freezer isn't really a great plan either.  I'm not really wanting to turn this thread into analysis of a potential decision I *might* make, I just put this out there to say there are legit reasons you might be stuck with an expensive fridge as the "least bad" option, although odds are that the OP doesn't have this issue.

And good for you for having friends with trucks.  Unfortunately for me (although likely good for them, given gas mileage on trucks), the closest person I know with a truck lives about 1500 miles and 7 states away.

okashira

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2014, 02:22:22 PM »

I am still failing to see how $1600 for a fridge is a good deal.

Fishingmn

• Bristles
  • You never have to recover from a good start
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2014, 07:31:21 PM »
First off, buying a $500 used fridge isn't necessarily a good deal. Life expectancy is 15 years - what if the used one is already 10 years old or is being sold because it's already having problems.

Also, many people have homes with kitchen's that have cabinet built ins that mean you must have certain sizes. Previous owner of our house had cabinetry that fits the $3k fridge. Not looking forward to when that dies. It will mean a new $3k fridge or major cabinetry changes.

SDREMNGR

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2014, 03:20:19 PM »
My $1500 fridge (Frigidaire Gallery) sucked and ice maker broke in 2 years.  Luckily I had the service contract and they are replacing it with a new one.  The fridge is one where I would either 1) buy it used on craigslist and just buy another one when it breaks or 2) buy new but get 3 year service warranty.  They do break down a lot these days and the repair can be very costly.

eil

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2014, 03:30:38 PM »
I know Home Despot had a 10% price match, but did not know Lowes did the same thing. That's good to hear.

I had been eyeballing a DeWalt table saw that they both carried. Did not have one, and wanted this particular one for its compactness and excellent reviews. But the price was more than what I wanted to pay. And I was seriously striking out on Craigslist at finding a similar saw. Well, my patience eventually paid off. Lowe's dropped the price by a good fraction so I went to Home Depot that very evening and was happy to see that they hadn't dropped their price yet. Go to the service desk, explain that I wanted a price match (they called it a "meet-and-beat") and Bob's your uncle, got about a 20% discount total since I paid for it with discounted gift cards bought online. (With a rewards credit card to boot.)

They didn't bother to verify the Home Depot price, so in retrospect it occurred to me that I probably could have given them any price I wanted. Sometimes I am just too darn ethical for my own good. ;)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!