Author Topic: Longest Commute by Bike?  (Read 9536 times)

AJDZee

• Bristles
Longest Commute by Bike?
« on: August 21, 2013, 05:55:30 PM »
Who's got the longest bike commute in the MMM community? Who's the got the title for Most Badass bike commuter?!

I would say you don't have to commute every day, but if you bike majority of the time I'd like to hear your distances!

I'm hoping this will be a bit of an inspiration for me... I just started biking to work in August, my goal for now is to do it at least twice a week. My commute is 10 mi one way, but I'm sure there are members that do much, much more than that.

Ok fellow Mustachians, leave me with no excuse not to man up!

*sorry if a thread like this already exists, I found one that was similar, but when I went to post on it said it was over 120 days old and suggested I start a new thread*

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
Re: Longest Commute by Bike?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 06:04:38 PM »
I started regular bike commute about 10 miles each way last month.  It is awesome!  I did 98 miles last month and this month I should easily hit my goal of 150.

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 06:23:48 PM »
Current commute is 15 miles each way, which I do no matter what. I doubt that's the farthest of anyone here though. We have some pretty serious cyclists on this forum.

I'm moving in September, which will take me down to 10 miles each way. I'll be glad for it when that happens. Not that 15 miles is super difficult, but it takes a lot of time I'd prefer to spend on other things.

My longest bike commute ever was 80 miles one way for first-day orientation, which was in a different city than the factory where I was starting. I was planning on riding home too, but someone offered me a ride and I would've lost a lot of social points if I said no.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 06:27:40 PM by Russ »

Hamster

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 06:39:38 PM »
Nowhere near the most badass, but my standard commute is 7-9 miles each way depending on whether I go fast or scenic. I've been slacking a bit lately and driving more due to laziness and meetings at odd hours. My longest was 18 miles each way which I did for a few days at a work related training in Madison, WI in June. I hope to repeat that this October for another 3-day training session.

Undecided

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 07:06:27 PM »
I work from home, but I typically ride 2.5 hours before I start work on a weekday, or about 45-55 miles depending on my route. Does that count?

mpbaker22

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 07:06:59 PM »
I do 12.5-13 depending on the route.  But I also only do 2-3 days a week.
I've been falling behind though.  I've only ridden once combined last week and this week.  I'm buying a house that is 16.5 miles away, so that will make it even longer, but I'm going to be renting out half the house, so it more than evens out.

Once I move, I will probably do 1-2 days a week.

SavingMon(k)ey

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 07:28:25 PM »
11 miles one way, but so far not every day. I want to be really good about it this year (school just started for us teachers). Once a week I teach at another place after school, and I haven't done that by bike. that would mean 11 miles, then another 5 or so to second job, then about 9 home. I just don't know if I can make it in time for second job. I'll have to try to bust that excuse to use the car on those days.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2013, 07:53:23 PM »
I work from home, but I typically ride 2.5 hours before I start work on a weekday, or about 45-55 miles depending on my route. Does that count?

Jesus... I say you win no matter what the title of the thread.  I mean technically you start at home and finish at work.  Even though it's one way, still super badass.

kendallf

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2013, 08:34:21 PM »
My commute is 18-19 miles one way, depending on which route I take.  I have done 2-3 days per week for years, and the past couple I've car-pooled one way and ridden home the majority of the time. 

The past three months, I've been either on travel or working on our new house, which is 12 miles from work and 20ish from our current house.  I haven't been able to make the bike commute work out and still be able to work on the house in the evenings, so I've been riding a motorcycle to work.  I'm riding my normal evening and weekend group rides, but really missing the bike commute.  When we move, I'll go back to 2-3 days a week, both ways.

jflo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2013, 09:39:29 PM »
I did a 20 mi roundtrip for a year or so in London, but often went up to 25 since I'd go meet my husband.  I'd like more tales of badassity since I'm feeling sorry for myself having to get up early for a 15-mi ride to the airport (same day travel, so 30 rt).  No choice on this one as husband is out of town w/ the car, and the flight is too early for public transport or a shuttle to make any sense (shuttles always insist on picking up hours early - err).
Just added more to my daily commute too w/ a new job - 16 mi roundtrip up from 12.  Funny how those extra miles wipe you out by the end of the week till you're conditioned.

HumanCalculator

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • crunch... numbers... crunch...
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2013, 06:00:53 AM »
24 kilometers, 9 regulars stop signs, 6 stop lights, 55 minutes one way, 4 times a week when not studying. Winter is out of the question, I take the bus and read books.

wing117

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2013, 06:49:57 AM »
~16.5 miles round trip 4 days a week. I have a rotating work from home day, otherwise it'd be 5.

It costs me 6 dollars for parking every day I drive into work, so I have quite a motivator to hop on the bike! I haven't ridden through the winter yet, but I use to camp in -20 F in a hammock tent, so riding a bicycle in 20-35 F weather shouldn't be bad.

jonchappelle

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2013, 09:41:10 AM »
My commute is 26 miles one way, ~ 1 hour 40 min on average. 10$ gas saved per day! I commute mon-wed-fri. Tues-thurs-sat are speed workout days.

I started cycling as a triathlete, so I've been trying to mix commuting in w/o sacrificing quality of workouts for racing.

etselec

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2013, 01:32:14 PM »
24 kilometers, 9 regulars stop signs, 6 stop lights, 55 minutes one way, 4 times a week when not studying. Winter is out of the question, I take the bus and read books.

You've inspired me to count the stop signs and stop lights on my commute. In 4.7 miles I hit two stop signs and 49 stop lights - it takes me 35-40 minutes (with some very cautious Idaho Stop). No wonder I feel slow compared to a lot of the other folks on here!

The_Dude

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2013, 02:24:20 PM »
Well I don't feel as bad after reading this thread that I haven't been able to get into the groove of a 19 mile one way (38 round trip) commute.  I've tried it but it just takes soooo long.  I tried hauling my bike to a staging area that would make it 9.5 miles each way which is much more doable though still long BUT I use more gas driving my SUV to the staging area than I do riding my motorcycle round trip.

Maybe you guys will inspire me to try again.  For now I have a choice between 50 minute round trip 32 mile commute on motorcycle at 45 mpg vs ~3.5 hour round trip 38 mile commute on the bike.

amha

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2013, 03:11:02 PM »
I spent two years doing fifteen miles each way (one hour, 6-7am and 4-5pm), five days a week. It was in Phoenix, so people would always be amazed that I'd be riding in 110º heat in the summer---but unlike inside a car, you get a 15mph breeze to cool you down! It was only at stoplights that I really felt the heat.

In the evening I often had shows/whatever to go to in downtown Phoenix (7 or 8 miles each way), so near-50-mile days weren't uncommon. Oh, the joys!

COMO

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2013, 11:51:12 AM »
I know its not the longest but i have a 14 mile round trip.  So far I have ridden every day this month.  My goal is to ride every day until we pay off our student loans.

amerikian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2013, 11:54:57 AM »
1482 miles in 76 round trips since Feb. this year.  I would have more, but with not always going to the office, holidays, etc...

9.5 miles each way.  I'm shooting for 3000 miles this year!

I had to take a week off just to let me body recover.  Its a lot of city riding with stops, intersections, etc and all the nice weather makes the trails pretty busy.  Looking forward to colder weather to get the trails back to myself.

Here's my personal tracking sheet. 

Peanut Butter

• Stubble
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2013, 01:34:48 PM »

You've inspired me to count the stop signs and stop lights on my commute. In 4.7 miles I hit two stop signs and 49 stop lights - it takes me 35-40 minutes (with some very cautious Idaho Stop). No wonder I feel slow compared to a lot of the other folks on here!

I don't have any stoplights, but the stop signs on the last 1/4 mile of my route means that it takes me the same amount of time as the first 2.25 miles.

AJDZee

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2013, 08:02:56 AM »
Wow! Very motivating - I think I'll up my riding next week, go from 2 days to 3-4 days per week!
(In the mean time I'm also looking for a car that will be cheaper to insure and on gas than the one I have now)

Very impressive community - I'd say collectively we easily bike a few hundred miles a day! ... Half of which is done by undecided and jonchapelle, good lord you two!

Peanut Butter

• Stubble
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2013, 10:19:59 AM »
Very impressive community - I'd say collectively we easily bike a few hundred miles a day! ... Half of which is done by undecided and jonchapelle, good lord you two!

I wish I'd been aware of MMM and the forums back in spring - we could have started a team for the National Bike Challenge!

zinnie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2013, 11:05:55 AM »
Mine is 20 mi each way, but I only do it once a week so I don't quite meet your criteria :)

It's really, really hilly. Takes me two hours one way. My knees can't handle much more than two 20 mile trips on that route per week. I need to build up muscle better or something!

Props to all the long distance commuters who do it frequently. I'm in awe!

drg

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2013, 05:32:19 PM »
6.5 km / 4 mi round trip, every day all year round. Plus wherever else I go on the weekends, and an extra 6 km on Wednesdays.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 05:34:08 PM by drg »

chardog

• Stubble
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2013, 06:25:13 PM »
Before I retired this year, I bike commuted for 20 years.  It was only 6 miles each way, but I got to a point where I committed to bike in to work every day regardless of weather, excuses, etc.

I calculated I logged in over 50,000 miles of bike commuting in that time.  It was a great experience.

mindaugas

• Bristles
    • Mike Says Meh
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2013, 10:22:40 PM »
It's really, really hilly. Takes me two hours one way. My knees can't handle much more than two 20 mile trips on that route per week. I need to build up muscle better or something!

May be worth checking ... Check your saddle height or go into a bike shop and get a fit done. Should help your knees a lot. Also on the hills spin in the easiest gear possible.

mindaugas

• Bristles
    • Mike Says Meh
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2013, 10:24:46 PM »
I just started a route thread, so everyone should post their routes as well :)
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/share-your-badassity/share-your-bike-route/

I bike 18 miles one way, then take the train home and bike 5 miles from the station. Biking into work is almost all downhill so the 18 miles is much easier.

http://www.strava.com/activities/77667198

AnonymousCoward

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2013, 10:39:54 PM »
This summer I did 24 miles roundtrip, everyday. On nice days I'd ride along the river on the way home for an extra five miles or so. Before that is was 14 miles a day. Now I work within walking distance of home which is kind of sad, I have to run to stay fit which is way less fun.

zinnie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2013, 09:29:16 AM »

May be worth checking ... Check your saddle height or go into a bike shop and get a fit done. Should help your knees a lot. Also on the hills spin in the easiest gear possible.

Thanks; I do need to look into getting my bike fitted. I've been thinking that could be a trigger. I appreciate the tip!