Author Topic: Living aboard a boat  (Read 5001 times)

escohido

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Living aboard a boat
« on: November 29, 2015, 09:43:59 PM »
I am a liveaboard. I work in downtown Seattle, and live a walk + ferry ride away from the city (this means no car commute). My share of "rent" expenses for my 33 ft powerboat that I split with my girlfriend is $300. I fell in love with the liveaboard lifestyle, partially due to it's bare bones existence. This simplistic living was something I was shaping my life around before MMM entered my life, but now it serves a very excellent job in keeping my expenses down. There is no room to store anything on a boat. Once you have your supplies inside, you have to throw something out to buy something new. This philosophy really forces you to reevaluate your possessions due to your now need to store them. Another area that you cut out is electricity expenses. Before I lived aboard I had a heavy gaming computer with two monitors that were on close to 75% of the time. Now I can't use more than 30 amps at any given time (including my fridge, dehumidifiers, and heaters).

My expenses are about $1300 a month, which is the price for a bare bones studio apartment on the outskirts of Seattle. My boat cost 25k (which is the equivalent price of living in a car). My hobbies have changed since living aboard, but fishing and crabbing have more then paid for themselves in equipment after a season or two (This year we ate around 60 crab and at least 30 trout).

There are some downsides though... It's cold. Especially in the winter mornings. Keeping the entire boat above 50 degrees happens almost automatically, but anything above that requires some sort of heating. Also you have two weekly (or monthly depending on your tank size) chores. You have to empty your waste tanks, and fill your water tanks. If you can deal with them though, few things seem much different then the summer I spent in a cramped studio apartment. (Except we've seen 4 couples taking wedding pictures with our marina in the background. All that was in the background of my apartment building were two construction sites).

Making Cents

• Stubble
Re: Living aboard a boat
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2015, 09:50:25 PM »
My husband and I were once liveaboarders on our 30 ft sailboat. We have no excuse for not being better off by the end of our thirties! It's a great frugal/extravagant life. Congrats.

We were not badass like you though. We were in FL, then NC.

Bearded Man

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2015, 10:58:30 PM »
Way cool. A colleague of mine lives at the Des Moines Marina. $300 month fee, 10k for boat. Not bad at all.

patrickza

• Pencil Stache
    • I live on a boat
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2015, 11:31:16 PM »
I'm landlocked but if I wasn't I would have been on a boat a long time ago! Sounds like an awesome way to live. I assume you use the marina showers and land power too.

How about a few pictures and details on the boat?

escohido

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2015, 07:58:05 AM »
Here's a video of the same model I found on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBEtaxwDZos

@BeardedMan, Cool I love that marina! Cheap docking fees and good restaurants.

Edit: Definitely use land power and the land bathrooms for any serious bathroom needs. In the winter when it gets too cold they shut the water off at the docks :(
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 08:00:31 AM by escohido »

mikefixac

• Bristles
    • Uncommonly Brilliant
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2015, 01:23:50 PM »
I was a liveaboard in SoCal. Respect on being able to do it in Seattle. For me, it proved to be a springboard to a good life.

After a year, I got tired of bending over. Most liveaboards love to party. Be mindful.

livingthedream

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Becoming Financially Independent
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2015, 02:32:52 PM »
Nice. Although as a former/reformed boat owner I can tell you those maintenance expenses can really add up over time.

somepissedoffman

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2015, 10:18:33 PM »
That's so cool.  The gf and I are tossing around the idea of living on a boat or in an RV, still in research phase.

Axecleaver

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2015, 01:33:40 PM »
I know nothing about seaworthy vessels. Do you have any challenges with bad storms? Sounds like a great retirement lifestyle, maybe you just pull up the anchor and motor down to Mexico for a few months when the weather turns.

SailorGirl

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2015, 12:40:12 PM »
Are you on BI?  The part I dislike the most is the constant damp.

Conjou

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2016, 03:32:34 PM »
A few questions if you are inclined to answer...
Was it difficulty to find a spot to rent?
Is it necessary to know how to sail?
What is your experience on the maintenance costs mentioned by another poster? I have always heard too that the upkeep is a drag and expensive.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!