Author Topic: Link (Shell) Fuel Rewards to your Master Card...profit  (Read 1558 times)

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
Link (Shell) Fuel Rewards to your Master Card...profit
« on: September 19, 2017, 11:06:56 AM »
I have been getting Stop & Shop gas points for years, which used to yield 36 gallons of gas for a grand total of 69 cents.  Well, that's been greatly limited and since there are times I have zip for these points, I got a Shell Fuel Rewards card.  They've advertised these on tv lately (gold status...and the person glows).  The way it works is you press the rewards button on the pump, put in your fuel rewards card and it gives you 5 cents a gallon discount.  No huge deal but I'd rather get a nickle a gallon off than squirt gas in my eye.

Ok.  So big deal, right?  Yup.  Until I was watching on flyertalk where people talked about the sister company to stop and shop, Giant and how their gas points were linked with fuel rewards go add the 2 discounts together.  Cool.  I bang around my fuel rewards account and see how that works and that it's not set up for stop and shop.  Drat.  But there's a section on linking a master card.  Hmmmmm.  Not sure how this can help, but why not.  Seeing how I use a Citi double cash master card for just about everything, I link it.  As it turns out, we paid some medical bills, I spent a couple $k on gift cards to get those stop and shop gas points plus normal spending.  Several $k.  I look today on my fuel rewards account because I was bored and see that I have......$2.40 a gallon discount.  Yikes!  Well, alrighty then.  So if you have shell stations near you, go link up whatever master card you use.  Even though my local shell is 20 cents a gallon high, getting $2.40 is still cool.

https://www.fuelrewards.com/fuelrewards/shell-search?gclid=CjwKEAjwgIPOBRDn2eXxsN7S4RcSJABwNV90fbUAjdIhjABCEePmXenLjSpGzlw-w5ZZmIfgPo5lpBoCJszw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Oh....I have nothing to do with Shell or stop and shop other than trying to take advantage of them to save money on gas
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 11:08:29 AM by Car Jack »

cantgrowone

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Link (Shell) Fuel Rewards to your Master Card...profit
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 10:35:23 AM »
I mainly buy all my gas at shell because of this. There are no grocery stores we shop at that add reward points though. The $0.05 per gallon savings is worth a lot over time.

DW keeps the card so I do have to enter a super long number in. Annoying, but worth it.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Link (Shell) Fuel Rewards to your Master Card...profit
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2017, 07:57:21 AM »
Well, I stopped at Shell yesterday, equipped with a bunch of 5 and 6 gallon gas cans.  Used my Fuel Reward card first.  Filled up my Jeep (very un-Mustachian) and the cans to get 20 gallons.  My total cost?  38 cents.  Not a gallon.....total.  1.9 cents a gallon.

Ok, Elon Musk.  Tell me how your model S saves me money on fuel.  Hahaha