Author Topic: Library saves me a thousand dollars!  (Read 4409 times)

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
Library saves me a thousand dollars!
« on: February 12, 2018, 03:44:54 AM »
I'm a avid book reader and earlier I used to pay for books. Fast forward a few years and I use the library extensively. I'm trying to change my parents and they don't think using the library is worth it. So to give them an idea I started a new savings account and transfered the cost of the book on Amazon to the account everytime I got or downloaded a book. A year later, I have $1065.70 in that account. Yay! It's going into my investment account now. And my parents who read more books than me are properly convinced.  Double yay!! They'll be saving thousands now.

Minnowstache

• Bristles
Re: Library saves me a thousand dollars!
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 03:54:06 AM »
What a great practical way to prove a point. Wish my husband would do this - he spends a lot on books and it drives me nuts because most are just fantasy epic type things that are just as bad as romance novels in my view :)

Lucy_83

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 04:50:39 AM »
That's a great idea! I've been trying to convince my BF to get a library card for months and this might be the thing that does the trick. Congratulations and thanks for sharing :)

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 05:16:32 AM »
Many libraries will give tours to people and can highlight things of which they might otherwise be unaware.  Some libraries lend things like cake pans, technology, and things far beyond just books and related media.  Then there are things like language software, online downloads (you don't even have to go to the library to get ebooks and audio books) and they will even help you set up your account and show you how to do it.  Often they also offer classes on everything from creative writing to using technology, and more.

You might consider checking with their local branch to see what services beyond book lending they offer, and if they will do a tour for a new patron.   

Mrs. Rocker

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Off Our Rocker RV
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 08:23:00 PM »
We use our library for e-books all the time. We have minimal storage space for books as we live and travel full-time in a small motorhome. So convenient to go online and download books whenever we want where ever we happen to be. It's like Christmas when an email pops up stating a book you've been waiting for is now available. Love it!

andreamac

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 06:23:37 PM »
Our local library also offers museum passes for families. We use these a couple times a year to go to museums. Also e-books and dvds so just not books anymore. I also take my 9 month old to babytime (45 mins of singing songs, playgroup for small children which she loves). Our library is our community so it is super important and saves us a ton. I looked up other playgroups for singing etc and some of them are 20 dollars per week!

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2018, 06:33:35 PM »
Great thread!  I recently discovered that my library system has 2 services for ebooks.  I really like "Hoopla".  I forget what the other one is called.

cats

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2018, 10:20:37 AM »
So cool that you tracked the savings like that!  I have been a library user for years and recently have gotten more into the downloadable audiobook offerings--I find they are a great way to motivate myself to go for a walk or do some boring chores.  And I have been meaning to look into what my parents library system offers in that vein as my dad's eyesight doesn't allow him to read *or* drive anymore, so audiobooks that return themselves to the library seem like a fantastic option...so thank you also for the idea of sharing the library resource idea to parents!

PizzaSteve

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2018, 10:22:12 AM »
My wife and I approached 100 books downloaded last year.  Many libraries do not require residence to be an online user too....

2microsNH

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2018, 11:39:09 AM »
What a great way to save money (and prove a point)! I used to buy books, but in the last 10 years have almost exclusively used my local library. Last summer I went through the hundreds of books I'd been carting around with me for decades, and donated almost every one to the library for their annual book sale. It was incredibly freeing. My boyfriend was amazed... he said, "But books are good things to have!" In my view, books are good things to read.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 11:41:38 AM by 2microsNH »

hgjjgkj

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2018, 11:48:46 AM »
The reason we live in hellworld is because it takes people seeing 1 year of actuals before they are convinced of the benefit of a publicly accessible good. Would of been so easy for them to tally their own spending on their online bank accounts towards books (and potentially movies) to make the benefit apparent right away. Sigh.

redbird

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2018, 12:55:36 PM »
Some people also don't think they want to use libraries because they expect to have to wait. My library gets the most popular books within a few days of its release at book stores. They take requests for buying books.

But also pretty much every library has an interlibrary loan system. My town's library did not have a book my husband wanted to read. He emailed the library asking if they could get it. A week and a half later they email him that it's available for pickup. They found a copy from a community college's library elsewhere in the state and borrowed it from them for him. How much did he have to pay for them to ship the book from the community college? Nothing. It's just one of their services. :)

Libraries sometimes have great events, free classes, etc.

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2018, 12:59:36 PM »
My wife and I approached 100 books downloaded last year.  Many libraries do not require residence to be an online user too....

Interesting.  Can you share the best one?  :)

caracarn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2018, 01:19:29 PM »
I use my library a lot again in the last few years after having fallen away for a time once I got out into the world and made money.  As a kid I would ride my bike to the library and borrow a dozen books each time, but then liked the idea of owning some. 

I would love to use the ebook lending more (our systems uses Overdrive), but I find I need to wait months and months for the book to get in because they usually only have 1-2 copies versus the dozens in the system of physical books for the same title.  I am usually number 80 or 142 on the wait list for the ebook, and this is for a decent sized city library system so not like we are in the sticks. 

I love my Kindle (just had to get a replacement after my last one I've had for 5 years finally went belly up) and much prefer reading on it, but my reading rate would be very slow if I had to wait for ebooks, plus they still only offer a small segment of the books in e format.

PizzaSteve

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2018, 01:33:40 PM »

Interesting.  Can you share the best one?  :)
Then we would be competing in the online queue...🤔

Seriously though, I sighed up long ago and don t want to give out inaccurate information should policies have changed.  I would try large cities in liberal minded areas.  For example, Los Angeles I believe serves a large community, but does require an address they send a post card to.  You dont need to be a resident, but you need a friend in LA county region to get the code for you.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 01:36:33 PM by PizzaSteve »

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2018, 02:57:32 PM »
I use the library to read ebooks as well. I've kept track of my cost savings as well since I got my kindle for Christmas in 2015. So far I've read $702.84 ebooks from my library via Overdrive. Checking ebooks out from the library has really (sorry) re-kindled my love for reading. ;)

I don't have the same problems with waiting forever for just a couple copies. I've had to wait occasionally, but I have such a big wish list that I can always find plenty to read without a wait.

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2018, 01:16:24 AM »
The reason we live in hellworld is because it takes people seeing 1 year of actuals before they are convinced of the benefit of a publicly accessible good. Would of been so easy for them to tally their own spending on their online bank accounts towards books (and potentially movies) to make the benefit apparent right away. Sigh.
I offered to share how much I spent on Amazon and half Price books for books at end of 2016 but my dad shot it down saying not all books are available in library and why it's not a good comparison. So I had to do a fresh experiment to prove that all the books I needed were available on my library system AND how much I saved doing it.

I'm so happy to see so many of us use the library system so extensively. Library is one of the best public resources available to all.

I'm also a member of two library systems (my past one and current one) and between those two, I end up having a full plate of books to read. At any point, I'm on hold for 5-10 books and have checked out 5-10 (some short, some long, some serious nonfiction and some light fiction). I like to intersperse my nonfiction reading with light fiction and this number is perfect for me. I also read atleast 1 hour a day (commute, breastfeeding, before nodding off to sleep, etc). I'm usually not in a hurry to read the newest books (still on hold for the book 'What happened?' by HRC for the past five months to give an idea) and the library works great for it.

Interestingly, after this experiment, my mom has taken up online reading (she uses Kindle app on her phone) and loves the option to change font size based on the lighting, how tired her eyes are, etc. I was expecting my tech savvy dad to jump on it first. She is saving the money she would've otherwise used to buy herself a Kindle.

Road42

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2018, 06:08:20 AM »
We're a family of four with two kids who are fast and avid readers - we must be saving several thousand dollars a year using our library! The children's section is so amazingly well curated that I'm pretty sure my kids could just pull out books randomly with a blindfold on and still love whatever they got. Also, the walk back and forth to our branch is always a nice way to hang out with the kids.

Just wanted to throw out there the idea of giving back to the library if you love using it! We donate $ every year and have tried to also volunteer there when possible.

andreamac

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2018, 10:29:13 AM »
Just wanted to mention as well that our library also have video games, even newest ones, but older ones you don't have to wait.

Off the Wheel

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2018, 08:41:57 PM »
So great. I'm a big reader too, and thanks to this community I was inspired to sign up for my local library. In the past two weeks, I've got 11 books either read or currently checked out. Assuming an average price of $15, I've saved $165. Crazy.

Kyle Schuant

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2018, 08:47:27 PM »
What a great practical way to prove a point. Wish my husband would do this - he spends a lot on books and it drives me nuts because most are just fantasy epic type things that are just as bad as romance novels in my view :)
Run Dungeons & Dragons for him, you buy 2-3 books once and never again, and there's his regular dose of epic fantasy.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2018, 08:48:57 PM »
We just got library cards a few months ago as well.

At 31/27 years old, I haven't had one since elementary school!

Not only are we getting books, the library here offers classes for free (cooking, horticulture, etc).

They are doing a seed exchange soon, which we are looking forward to participating in.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2018, 01:19:05 PM »
I use my library a lot again in the last few years after having fallen away for a time once I got out into the world and made money.  As a kid I would ride my bike to the library and borrow a dozen books each time, but then liked the idea of owning some. 

I would love to use the ebook lending more (our systems uses Overdrive), but I find I need to wait months and months for the book to get in because they usually only have 1-2 copies versus the dozens in the system of physical books for the same title.  I am usually number 80 or 142 on the wait list for the ebook, and this is for a decent sized city library system so not like we are in the sticks. 

I love my Kindle (just had to get a replacement after my last one I've had for 5 years finally went belly up) and much prefer reading on it, but my reading rate would be very slow if I had to wait for ebooks, plus they still only offer a small segment of the books in e format.

That has been my experience, unfortunately - I have a really hard time getting the books I'd like to read. I'm giving it another go by actually visiting our main library sometime this week. Maybe I'm missing something - maybe there is something else I can sign up for.
Overdrive has been fine for romance books though - but I want to read books on a ton of other topics too.

My nearby branch usually doesn't have the book I want, but they can get it usually within two or three weeks, sometimes longer. They seem to specialize in young adult and kid sections.
I recently discovered that the really small branch at the beach community nearby has excellent, all new selections of finance, investing, economics, politics, philosophies etc.
I wonder why - maybe they had a local sponsor?

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2018, 05:43:08 AM »

That has been my experience, unfortunately - I have a really hard time getting the books I'd like to read. I'm giving it another go by actually visiting our main library sometime this week. Maybe I'm missing something - maybe there is something else I can sign up for.
Overdrive has been fine for romance books though - but I want to read books on a ton of other topics too.

My nearby branch usually doesn't have the book I want, but they can get it usually within two or three weeks, sometimes longer. They seem to specialize in young adult and kid sections.
I recently discovered that the really small branch at the beach community nearby has excellent, all new selections of finance, investing, economics, politics, philosophies etc.

I have had the same issues with finding books available on the shelf/online. My solution was to start a list of books that I want to read--I keep it in a Google Doc so I can get it online...there are also different apps/websites like Goodreads. I use the "request item" system for physical books from various branches and almost always have new items by the time I swing by on library day, and can always find books online that I want to read. The secret (like a lot of Mustachianism) is not to be after the newest items. Things tend to be very in-demand for a few months while everyone's reading them and then there are plenty of copies. One advantage to that approach is if you find a trilogy or series you like, you can read the whole thing instead of waiting for each book to come out!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 05:51:46 AM by Noodle »

caracarn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2018, 08:52:34 AM »

I have had the same issues with finding books available on the shelf/online. My solution was to start a list of books that I want to read--I keep it in a Google Doc so I can get it online...there are also different apps/websites like Goodreads. I use the "request item" system for physical books from various branches and almost always have new items by the time I swing by on library day, and can always find books online that I want to read. The secret (like a lot of Mustachianism) is not to be after the newest items. Things tend to be very in-demand for a few months while everyone's reading them and then there are plenty of copies. One advantage to that approach is if you find a trilogy or series you like, you can read the whole thing instead of waiting for each book to come out!
Yes, I certainly do that too.  I can find things to read on ebook, not as if they have nothing in, but yes, it would be romance novels, which is not my thing.  My wife can't even stand them.  I always check the ebook first, but then usually reserve the actual book as they have those available to move within the library system and only need to wait a few weeks.  I work to have something on the way as I wind down the current book.

WootWoot

• Bristles
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2018, 12:51:31 PM »
If you live in Pennsylvania, the Free Library of Philadelphia will give you a library card for borrowing ebooks.

without_a_map

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2018, 08:51:33 AM »
I love my local library! I live in a small village but there is a small community-run library about 2 minutes from my house. It is tiny, but it is part of a network of libraries across the region, so I have access to all the books they all have! All I have to do is look at the online catalogue, request the book I want, and they send me an email when it is ready for collection, free of charge. I also recently discovered you can read magazines online through their system, they have subscriptions to loads of good stuff including New Scientist and the Economist, which are expensive to keep up with. Unlimited back issues too, and no waiting for someone else to finish with it. I must be saving an absolute fortune, tracking the savings is a great idea.

I can't believe more people don't use the service; I keep encouraging my grandparents who live in the same village to join, but they don't seem very enthusiastic.

I have also donated most of my books to them, free book storage, and others get to enjoy them too!

nara

• Stubble
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2018, 04:56:42 PM »
Agreed! I always checked out library books but due to disorganization would accrue late fees and fines all the time. I decided to just buy books on Kindle, but then I discovered that I can rent 30 Kindle books a year from the library! Only downside is that sometimes there's a really long wait for Kindle books and it is usually much faster just to rent the paper copy. But if I have plenty to read and am not impatient, it saves me the drive and the fees! Also no one really needs cable or any movie subscription when the library has everything!

alanB

• Stubble
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2018, 09:53:22 AM »
Important to remember that whether you use it or not, you are still paying for your local library, directly through property tax or indirectly through rent.  Choosing not to use it is like signing up for every possible streaming service and then buying DVDs one at a time anyway.

If you live in Pennsylvania, the Free Library of Philadelphia will give you a library card for borrowing ebooks.

Philly library also has free DVDs.  The competition is intense if you want anything good though. 

The libraries that I have joined have just require your name on a piece of mail with a local address.  I don't think too many people are trying to game the system and travel to another city/county to take advantage of better libraries.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2018, 01:52:44 PM »
I have a cooking class tonight thanks to the library! Hope the chow is good =)

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2018, 01:57:41 PM »
I've been a library user my whole life. Except for library fines and the occasional lost item, it has saved me a shitload of money.  When I got super serious about Spartan living to hit FIRE, I started buying books at the Friends book sales and selling them to the used book store when I was finished.

When I needed to make more friends, i started volunteering at the library. Eventually, I started serving on two library boards. Now that I'm FIRE, I give thousands of dollars back each year, directly and through fund raising efforts. It makes me utterly happy to be in a position to be able to do this. Ultimately, I hope to give more back than I got, but that's going to be a tall order.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2018, 09:14:57 AM »
Let's not forget that AARP will do your taxes for free at the local libraries - if you are willing to arrive early and wait in line that is:)
I did end up visiting my main library and was happy to see they do have a really nice selection of finance/economy/money books, incl. several just published books - happiness.
I am still curious about the small beach library though that has such an impressive collection of finance books (why is that?). Weather is perfect for a walk on the beach, stroll in the little tourist section of town and visit the library - sweet RE.

Davids

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2018, 10:59:44 AM »
I love the library. In addition to books and DVDs they have so many activities for kids which is great for my 3 year old and will be great in the future for my 4 month old.

And for those who may not be near a library or do not feel like trekking to one I recommend the overdrive app. You can borrow ebooks from there through your local library.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!