Author Topic: Library Hacks - Video Games and Movies!  (Read 5442 times)

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
Library Hacks - Video Games and Movies!
« on: January 29, 2015, 03:47:38 PM »
Did you know that many libraries rent out video games? Oh yes they do! Mine does; does yours?

Also - for all you academics out there, did you know that through interlibrary loan (usually free) you can get sweet items delivered to your local university library? I used my connections to get this movie: http://www.worldcat.org/title/jiro-dreams-of-sushi/oclc/796035530

It's in Japanese, and I couldn't find a version with English subtitles, so I obtained it through interlibrary loan.

Yep. Libraries are great for saving the mula!! I saw on a post-FIRE thread that a MMM'er got a museum pass through his/her library.

Do you know any other cool library opportunities?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Library Hacks - Video Games and Movies!
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 04:32:40 PM »
The Kill-a-Watt thing to monitor energy usage of things in your home can often be checked out at the library.  Some have children's toys for checkout.

I'm old school, I've only ever checked out books from a library.  But it's neat that those other things like DVDs and CDs (audiobooks and music) exist there free to borrow.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 04:36:02 PM »
Also - for all you academics out there, did you know that through interlibrary loan (usually free) you can get sweet items delivered to your local university library? I used my connections to get this movie: http://www.worldcat.org/title/jiro-dreams-of-sushi/oclc/796035530

It's in Japanese, and I couldn't find a version with English subtitles, so I obtained it through interlibrary loan.

FYI to others, it's on Netflix instant right now.  I enjoyed it a lot.

Northerly

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 05:01:24 PM »
Interlibrary loans (and libraries in general), truly are the shit. But I don't think you have to be an academic or be at a University library to use interlibrary loan. My local city library will get me anything I want if I give them a week or two.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 05:04:36 PM »
for all you academics out there, did you know that through interlibrary loan (usually free) you can get sweet items delivered to your local university library?

I did not know that! Thank you, LibraryJoy! Boy, is my Serious Professor Cred gonna take a hit once I start exploiting this...

Do you know any other cool library opportunities?

I think the entire Toronto library system has museum passes available. They give out each week's supply Saturday mornings, and at some branches people line up like it's Black Friday. But people all chase the same passes (science, ROM, AGO), so you can get passes to cool smaller museums (ceramics, textile) almost any time.

Another great library resource: electronic versions of magazines. Like, hundreds and hundreds of current magazines online for free.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2015, 09:25:32 PM »
My library lets me download (to keep forever!) three music tracks every... week, I think.

The DVD collection is fantastic, we watch a lot of new release movies that way.

Marc Record

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2015, 09:44:45 PM »
Sacramento Public Library is hosting a vote on a Library of Things to offer for checkout!
http://sacramentolibrary.uservoice.com/forums/280313-help-us-create-a-library-of-things

gluskap

• Stubble
    • Money Savvy Mommy
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2015, 11:22:06 PM »
I just found out you can now download Kindle books using a library card so you don't even have to go to the library to download and read a free book!

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2015, 10:29:50 PM »
My old library used to have museum passes.  Usually a waiting list, but check it out for a week and it was good for admission for four people at a time.  Serious money saving.  Fun trips with kids.

lizzie

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2015, 06:46:27 AM »
Our library system lets you download a certain number of songs for free each month. It's through something called "freegal." When I checked it out a few years ago I noticed that it had current pop hits available; it wasn't just stuff whose copyright had expired.

ETA: Googling around to remind myself of the name of that service I came across a comprehensive list of the online resources available through our library. It blew my mind:

http://www.hclib.org/browse/online-resources
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 06:50:08 AM by lizzie »

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2015, 07:08:26 AM »
Our local library has the Chilton repair manual database online. Has solved a problem mid-repair for us more than once, and without having to go anywhere!

Also state park passes to check out (parking fees), and state historic sites.

KD

• Stubble
  • "Waste is a resource out of place."-Coors Mfg.
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2015, 10:58:39 AM »
Our library had paintings & statuary that can be checked out.  (Not sure if they still do this or not, at least they used to.)  And, I've heard of some libraries having tools that could be checked out. 

Note to newbies - some libraries do charge a minimal fee for interlibrary loans...not all.  Some I've used charged $1.00 per item for things that had to be shipped in from out of state, but FREE for those things found in our state's library system.

marblejane

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2015, 05:13:51 PM »
My library lets me download digital magazines to my iPad for free through Zimbio! And today I learned that I can stream free movies on indieflix.com through my library account.

N

• Handlebar Stache
  • You must change your life. -Rainer Maria Rilke
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2015, 06:17:09 PM »
THANK YOU for the zinio tip!!! OMG. awesomeness

N

• Handlebar Stache
  • You must change your life. -Rainer Maria Rilke
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2015, 06:18:01 PM »
I know there are a couple libraries in chicago that lend out fishing poles.

ambimammular

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2015, 09:00:58 PM »
My parents' library loans out life vests in kid sizes.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!