Author Topic: Last minute dinner fed three teenagers  (Read 6447 times)

TrulyStashin

• Handlebar Stache
Last minute dinner fed three teenagers
« on: July 30, 2014, 06:35:43 AM »
As my 10-hour workday drew to a close yesterday, I had no idea how many 17-year olds were at my house and whether I'd be feeding them.  Such is life when you have trustworthy and mobile older teens.

At 6:49, as I shut down my computer, I seriously contemplated ordering pizza take out when I learned that three of them were hoping for dinner chez moi.   Nope, I did not give in to the temptation of an easy fix.   

Instead, I called and instructed Son to take 10 burritos out of the freezer.  Last month, I'd slow-cooked beans and carnitas and rolled 18 burritos assembly-line style.  I froze them individually and they're a quick grab-and-go for lunches or whatever.  Last night, they rescued me.   Preheat the oven to 400, I told him.  Then cook the burritos, two at a time, in the microwave for two minutes to unfreeze them.  Throw them in a casserole pan, dump enchilada sauce on top, add shredded cheese.  I'll be home in half an hour.

It worked.  Happy teenagers.  Tired, but financially secure, badass mother.

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Last minute dinner fed three teenagers
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 06:52:40 AM »
That's awesome :)

Doomspark

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 08:09:05 AM »
Well done!

greenmimama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 09:04:39 AM »
mama for the win!

skandrae

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 10:56:05 AM »
Excellent work! I just wish I could train my cats to do that :)

AllChoptUp

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2014, 11:16:51 AM »
Well done Mom!

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2014, 11:41:27 AM »
As my 10-hour workday drew to a close yesterday, I had no idea how many 17-year olds were at my house and whether I'd be feeding them.  Such is life when you have trustworthy and mobile older teens.

At 6:49, as I shut down my computer, I seriously contemplated ordering pizza take out when I learned that three of them were hoping for dinner chez moi.   Nope, I did not give in to the temptation of an easy fix.   

Instead, I called and instructed Son to take 10 burritos out of the freezer. Last month, I'd slow-cooked beans and carnitas and rolled 18 burritos assembly-line style.  I froze them individually and they're a quick grab-and-go for lunches or whatever.  Last night, they rescued me.   Preheat the oven to 400, I told him.  Then cook the burritos, two at a time, in the microwave for two minutes to unfreeze them.  Throw them in a casserole pan, dump enchilada sauce on top, add shredded cheese.  I'll be home in half an hour.

That sounds yummy, can I have the recipe?

Meggslynn

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2014, 12:57:09 PM »
Awesome!

TrulyStashin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2014, 09:44:17 AM »

Instead, I called and instructed Son to take 10 burritos out of the freezer. Last month, I'd slow-cooked beans and carnitas and rolled 18 burritos assembly-line style.  I froze them individually and they're a quick grab-and-go for lunches or whatever.  Last night, they rescued me.   Preheat the oven to 400, I told him.  Then cook the burritos, two at a time, in the microwave for two minutes to unfreeze them.  Throw them in a casserole pan, dump enchilada sauce on top, add shredded cheese.  I'll be home in half an hour.

That sounds yummy, can I have the recipe?

I use black beans instead of pinto.  I also vary the liquid (water or stock) because with more liquid it makes a great soup.  http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Refried-Beans-Without-the-Refry/Detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Title&e11=refried%20beans%20without%20the%20refry&e8=Quick%20Search&event10=1&e7=Home%20Page&soid=sr_results_p1i1

And

Ridiculously easy and delicious.  http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Slow-Cooker-Carnitas/Detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Title&e11=carnitas&e8=Quick%20Search&event10=1&e7=Recipe&soid=sr_results_p1i5

HAULIN3

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Plant Strong!
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2014, 10:07:04 AM »
you dont soak your beans??  Sounds too easy!  I'll have to try it!

TrulyStashin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2014, 10:37:41 AM »
you dont soak your beans??  Sounds too easy!  I'll have to try it!

Nope.  No soaking.  No time for that!  ;)

SingleMomDebt

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2014, 08:24:45 AM »
I totally understand that teen conundrum. That was a badass move for sure!

SnpKraklePhyz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2014, 09:05:32 AM »
Excellent! Sounds like my house - never know who is staying for dinner.

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
  • Live on minimum wage, earn on maximum
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2014, 01:59:56 PM »
Perfect!  And the teen learned a valuable lesson in self reliance.   Next time he might even text you -  "don't worry about dinner mom.  I'll have it ready when you get home. love you"

TrulyStashin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2014, 03:31:48 PM »
Next time he might even text you -  "don't worry about dinner mom.  I'll have it ready when you get home. love you"

Tease.  That's just cruel.....  [grin]