Author Topic: Q1 of Mustachianism  (Read 8166 times)

OutOfTheAbyss

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Q1 of Mustachianism
« on: February 04, 2016, 04:32:20 AM »
I just wrapped up my first quarter of financial sanity after years of waste and frivolity. Here's a recap:

1) Maxed out 403b contribution, AND saved $5k more in emergency fund.
2) Sold ridiculous 2015 luxury sports car with $1100/mo payment and bought a low mileage 10 year old used car in immaculate condition (I looked for one owned by one retiree for years and years who put less than 5k miles a year on it). I actually like it better, truly. I don't feel sick to my stomach about the payment and freak out if someone parks close to it. And it's a classic body style that still looks nicer than the newer cars. Car payment went from $1080/mo to $158 per month and will be paid off in a few months.
3) Quit my life-ruining, miserable, $135k/year job with a 3-4 hour commute per day that pushed out my family, exercise, hobbies, and any energy or motivation I had to socialize, etc. Took a $95k fun job within 10 miles from home. The 40k reduction in income is going to reinforce my new frugal habits. No more $12,000/ year on pet sitters, thousands on auto maintenance and gas, etc. I was able to make this change thanks to a new outlook on what I "need" to live a fulfilling life. The extra money was at the expense of basically every activity and person I love.
4) cut 2 person grocery bill from $800+/mo to $375, and still cutting. My new budget this month is to simply split it into 3 parts: 1/3 bulk foods like quinoa, beans, rice, etc, 1/3 Costco meats and cheeses (for my S.O.), and 1/3 fresh produce from local markets. I learned (for free on the internet) how to make my own bread and yogurt and the taste is so much better. I bake bread on the weekends, slice, and freeze it. I also learned how to make my own tortillas and refried vegetarian beans, so I don't need to ingest BPA from cans. I learned to cook dry beans. The result is like eating at good organic restaurant every day without the bill.
5) I only allow myself to make book or clothes purchases with rewards points. I don't want to give up my hair services, so I use freelance income to pay for that. I have challenged myself to self unnecessary stuff to buy any unnecessary stuff (like clothes).
6) I got $300 free for opening an extra bank account and investment account
7) Mint.com changed my life. I went from being in the red on 10k a month to saving 40% of my income each month and staying on track with retirement, savings, and debt payoff goals.

Basenji

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Q1 of Mustachianism
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 06:54:50 AM »
Wow, nice job! What finally made you start making changes?

EXLIer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 07:09:02 AM »
Man - That looks like a GREAT start!

Just curious - What was the luxury sports car?  I'll admit, I sometimes succumb to the urges to buy one.  I've never had a sporty car, and a Corvette Z06 or 911 calls my name.  Frequently.

GrowingTheGreen

• Bristles
    • Growing The Green
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 07:28:31 AM »
Wow. From a psychological standpoint, did you find it tough to transition from a luxury vehicle to a more economical one? A lot of people don't want to give that up. Very commendable.

OutOfTheAbyss

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2016, 10:36:50 AM »
I still have a long way to go, but now it's becoming reality- I can see my progress on mint every day.

Here's what changed my perspective:
-The MMM blog subscription (truly life changing- look at the impact one person has had on so many people and the planet)
-the realization that I would  probably die young before ever retiring due to stress and lack of sleep and exercise
-the stark realization that after working my tail off for 15 years and making 6 figures for several of those years, I have nothing to show but negative net worth and a ton of debt
- the realization that when I picture my happiest moments in life, there is no "stuff" in them- not fancy dresses, not fancy cars, etc
- Feeling like a slave/ feeling dehumanized by my job, which intruded into my nights, weekends, robbed me of sleep,  cancelled my plans with friends, etc., and realizing that I had nothing positive to share with friends because work consumed my life. I realized I didn't feel like myself anymore, and I would get the "sunday flu" for half of what little weekend I had with my loved ones.

Because of my nightmare commute, I had rationalized a new Mercedes SLK convertible when I got my sign on bonus at my last job. It was my "consolation" for the 3-4 hours of driving each day. Prior to that I had two used Mercedes C-class sedans that I drove for over 5 years each (until someone else totaled one of them and the other was damaged in a flood). I have always liked those cars, and the maintenance was next to nothing, even over 100k miles. So I waited and scoured auto trader and every dealer around until I found 2 used older (9-11 years old) ones with ~40k miles in the 9-10k price range. I picked the better one, and paid mostly cash (including the very painful gap on the one I got rid of- the "stupidity tax", if you will), and with my new job being so close to home, I'll be like the previous owner who put so few miles per year on it. Granted, it's not the LEAST expensive vehicle I could buy, but I'm thrilled with it, it's always been one of my favorite cars, and I will keep it for many many years. So I went from a 50+k idiotic decision and daily regret to something much more reasonable that I enjoy and will own outright in a few months.

Other areas of idiotic work related spending were manicures and clothes. I realized that I tend to wear the same favorite outfits all the time, and went through all my clothes and rearranged them and "found" several outfits. Shopping online was an addiction to distract from the overwork depression.  I realized I have plenty of nice clothes. I wear out shoes fast, so I signed up for coupon/ promo notifications and I won't replace anything unless it's 70% or more off, or I find it new without a box on ebay.

I've retrained my brain from feeling self conscious next to my colleagues' professional gel nails to reminding myself that many healthcare organizations don't allow fake nails for infection control reasons, and that the toxic chemical nail polishes and UV light cause cancer (something also discussed on the Thriftygal blog). Also, I'm lengthening the time before I donate old clothes by shaving the pills off sweaters, polishing shoes, and doing minor repairs (like when the lining detaches from your suit skirts) myself. I am recognizing how wasteful I have been.

I'm also summoning my depression-era grandmother. What would she do? What would she say about my next expenditure? She was a wealthy lady who saved her money all her life and lived modestly in the same house, owned rented out real estate, and kept nice but prudent cars for 10 years each.

ReluctantMillennial

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2016, 12:44:00 PM »

I'm also summoning my depression-era grandmother. What would she do? What would she say about my next expenditure? She was a wealthy lady who saved her money all her life and lived modestly in the same house, owned rented out real estate, and kept nice but prudent cars for 10 years each.

I use my grandmother as inspiration as well.  I always appreciated the "use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without" mantra, but now that I'm making a concerted effort to really live that way, I feel like she'd have been proud.  Plus it helps that I'm no longer a slave to marketing.

simpleFIblog

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Financial Independence Simplified
    • Simplified Finance
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2016, 06:00:23 PM »
Those are some impressive changes in a relatively short amount of time. Good on you! It also looks like you know exactly what you can do to continue making progress, which is fantastic!

Like you, I recently took a job with a lower salary and found myself coming out way ahead (both in terms of happiness and my finances).

STBJ

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2016, 06:27:07 PM »
Wow that post is impressive.  I like the last line about MINT usage.  I use it too.  It tells me how much more I need to address.  I am not ready to take a job at a lower salary though.  I have however decided to do this.

I finally had to admit I am addicted to snack and fast food spending during the work day. Now I have decided to reward myself for everyday I don’t spend money on restaurant or snack purchases I will pay myself $20 in savings deposits.  So I am going to make my 1st deposit today. 

Nickels Dimes Quarters

• Stubble
    • Nickels, Dimes & Quarters ~ It All Adds Up
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2016, 07:40:24 PM »
This is pretty amazing. You've changed several bad habits quickly and with great results!
Congrats!

NDQ

Bbbent

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2016, 06:18:00 AM »
This is a great story. Using your grandmother as a guide you're going to really have great success!

My wife sells jamberry nail wraps.  Not expensive and they look really great. She gets a lot of compliments, so that might be a 'pro nails' option you could investigate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MVal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2016, 09:39:00 AM »
I just wrapped up my first quarter of financial sanity after years of waste and frivolity. Here's a recap:

1) Maxed out 403b contribution, AND saved $5k more in emergency fund.
2) Sold ridiculous 2015 luxury sports car with $1100/mo payment and bought a low mileage 10 year old used car in immaculate condition (I looked for one owned by one retiree for years and years who put less than 5k miles a year on it). I actually like it better, truly. I don't feel sick to my stomach about the payment and freak out if someone parks close to it. And it's a classic body style that still looks nicer than the newer cars. Car payment went from $1080/mo to $158 per month and will be paid off in a few months.
3) Quit my life-ruining, miserable, $135k/year job with a 3-4 hour commute per day that pushed out my family, exercise, hobbies, and any energy or motivation I had to socialize, etc. Took a $95k fun job within 10 miles from home. The 40k reduction in income is going to reinforce my new frugal habits. No more $12,000/ year on pet sitters, thousands on auto maintenance and gas, etc. I was able to make this change thanks to a new outlook on what I "need" to live a fulfilling life. The extra money was at the expense of basically every activity and person I love.
4) cut 2 person grocery bill from $800+/mo to $375, and still cutting. My new budget this month is to simply split it into 3 parts: 1/3 bulk foods like quinoa, beans, rice, etc, 1/3 Costco meats and cheeses (for my S.O.), and 1/3 fresh produce from local markets. I learned (for free on the internet) how to make my own bread and yogurt and the taste is so much better. I bake bread on the weekends, slice, and freeze it. I also learned how to make my own tortillas and refried vegetarian beans, so I don't need to ingest BPA from cans. I learned to cook dry beans. The result is like eating at good organic restaurant every day without the bill.
5) I only allow myself to make book or clothes purchases with rewards points. I don't want to give up my hair services, so I use freelance income to pay for that. I have challenged myself to self unnecessary stuff to buy any unnecessary stuff (like clothes).
6) I got $300 free for opening an extra bank account and investment account
7) Mint.com changed my life. I went from being in the red on 10k a month to saving 40% of my income each month and staying on track with retirement, savings, and debt payoff goals.

What is this $95K "fun" job you speak of? Sounds like you are totally in the zone with everything!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 10:07:35 AM by MVal »

OutOfTheAbyss

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2016, 08:03:58 AM »
Nonprofit director. I went from one nonprofit director job in a congested urban area to a lower paying one down the street. There is a huge difference in culture as well- the old one has thousands of employees and all the politics that go along with it, the new one is less than 100 employees.

It's going to take me 2.3 years to dig out of debt. A large chunk was education, a comparatively reasonable destination wedding, and veterinary surgeries, but an equally large chunk was utter frivolity on retail and facials and massages. Now that the emergency fund is back to acceptable levels, I'm attacking the debt with a machete and a fire hose. It's about 75k.

Because it's all unsecured debt, I'm a little reluctant to cut off all savings and postpone retirement savings. I'm still maxing out the 403b (also because of my higher tax bracket) while using 0% interest offers, lower interest rate personal loans, and freelancing income to accelerate the debt payoff. I'm also offloading stuff on craigslist, ebay, amazon etc and putting every little bit into the debt. I'm using the Mint.com payoff plan to make sure I pay off the 0% offers before they go up. Moving the emergency fund in chunks means $150, $200 free money from banking/new account offers (Suntrust, Motif most recently). Meanwhile I'm using an Acorns account with the round ups, and each time I get a paycheck, I sweep the remainder of the previous one into one of those accounts.

I know rationally that I should pay off the debt because the overall interest rate exceeds the returns on the savings and investments, but I also know that if anything bad ever happened, unsecured debts can be reduced and written off due to hardship, but lack of savings and retirement can't. So I'm trying to be simultaneously aggressive about both goals, which is hard because of the burning temptation to throw it all at the debt. I'm about watching the debt plummet in my second quarter of Mustachianism.

queenie

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2016, 06:06:41 PM »
Wow!  I'm so impressed by this!

beantown

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2016, 10:00:01 AM »
I'm so impressed by this as well and inspired to continue on my journey towards mustachianism. Like you my mustachianism is quite new (2ish months) and I hope to be able to write a similar type of writeup at the end of my first quarter (minus the job change).

FreedomInc

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2016, 03:12:16 PM »
If you don't mind sharing, what is the used car that you ended up getting? Make/Model, Year, Miles, Price Paid? I'm asking because I'm currently in the process of looking for a good mustachiobile, and it's always interesting to see what other people on this forum decided on for their vehicles.

OutOfTheAbyss

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2016, 03:56:08 AM »
I'm not the ultimate mustachian for cars- I have a weak spot for the Mercedes. I tried buying cheaper Nissans, Toyotas, etc and the maintenance was more, and I hated them and got rid of them in a year which was costly. I ended up buying my third C-class (230) Mercedes, a 2007 with 50,000 for $10k. Previously I owned 2 used C240 or C230s I had purchased with 20-30k miles used, and I drove both for over 5 years until their untimely deaths at the hands of a red light runner etc. I had every intention of keeping them another 5 years and was still very happy with them 5 years later. Other than the basic maintenance, for over 100k miles and 5 years there was very little else other than an occasional set of tires, replacement bulbs for lights, and one of them did need new spark plugs at one point over 100k miles. All 3 had various warranties.

This was a big step for me- it was my first cash car, and a change from a $55,000 2 seat convertible. I'm happy to report that I have not felt any pangs of loss for the ridiculous car, but then I've always loved the classic Mercedes sedans. When I was shopping, I did find some good deals like a demo Volvo S60 with only 30k miles for about the same $10k price.
Obviously there are more mustachian cars that are better for the environment and the wallet, but this was my personal transition.

My main goal was never to finance a car again, and to get rid of the car payment. Now I plan to minimize the mileage and stretch this car out over at least 5-7 years, hopefully more.

PARedbeard

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2016, 12:44:53 PM »
Blown away, OutoftheAbyss! Keep it up!

WSUCoug1994

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2016, 05:43:38 PM »
BOOM!  That is awesome change in a short period of time.  Congrats!

FreedomInc

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2016, 12:12:49 AM »
I'm not the ultimate mustachian for cars- I have a weak spot for the Mercedes. I tried buying cheaper Nissans, Toyotas, etc and the maintenance was more, and I hated them and got rid of them in a year which was costly. I ended up buying my third C-class (230) Mercedes, a 2007 with 50,000 for $10k. Previously I owned 2 used C240 or C230s I had purchased with 20-30k miles used, and I drove both for over 5 years until their untimely deaths at the hands of a red light runner etc. I had every intention of keeping them another 5 years and was still very happy with them 5 years later. Other than the basic maintenance, for over 100k miles and 5 years there was very little else other than an occasional set of tires, replacement bulbs for lights, and one of them did need new spark plugs at one point over 100k miles. All 3 had various warranties.

This was a big step for me- it was my first cash car, and a change from a $55,000 2 seat convertible. I'm happy to report that I have not felt any pangs of loss for the ridiculous car, but then I've always loved the classic Mercedes sedans. When I was shopping, I did find some good deals like a demo Volvo S60 with only 30k miles for about the same $10k price.
Obviously there are more mustachian cars that are better for the environment and the wallet, but this was my personal transition.

My main goal was never to finance a car again, and to get rid of the car payment. Now I plan to minimize the mileage and stretch this car out over at least 5-7 years, hopefully more.

Ah, interesting! Thank you for sharing. It sounds like you found a good sweet spot with the Mercedes, and $10,000 for a 2007 with only 50,000 miles is actually a pretty good deal! I'm sure you can drive that for many years.

Luckyvik

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2016, 03:48:05 AM »
Thank you for sharing, this is very inspiring.

I have to go lookup how to make tortillas now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2016, 09:47:02 AM »
WOW - TALK ABOUT A 360
I was able to make this change thanks to a new outlook on what I "need" to live a fulfilling life. The extra money was at the expense of basically every activity and person I love.

I like this statement even better - smart choice.
I know rationally that I should pay off the debt because the overall interest rate exceeds the returns on the savings and investments, but I also know that if anything bad ever happened, unsecured debts can be reduced and written off due to hardship, but lack of savings and retirement can't. So I'm trying to be simultaneously aggressive about both goals, which is hard because of the burning temptation to throw it all at the debt. I'm about watching the debt plummet in my second quarter of Mustachianism.

I bet you will have that 75K paid off in no time. Have you considered a journal? There is a lot of inspiration and support to be found in the journal section of this forum.  Good luck on your Mustachian path.

FrugalFan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2016, 11:51:36 AM »
Congrats! So many huge positive changes in a short amount of time!

purple monkey

• Bristles
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2016, 12:05:13 PM »
How wonderful.
Your post really shows why things happen.
Your explanations were helpful to the otherwise frugal person.
You rock!!!

Luckyvik

• Stubble
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2016, 04:32:23 AM »
I just re-read your post, I like what you said about being inspired by your grandmother, my grandmother was frugal and taught me how to mend socks for example, I'm going to mend some things this weekend instead of throwing them away and also hem some pants that need it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2016, 05:43:52 AM »
This is one of the most badass reversals I've ever heard of / read about.

I'm attacking the debt with a machete and a fire hose.

Basically, I read that and I pictured you like this:

I will now forever think of you as Samurai Cat. Look, he even has a skirt. xD