Author Topic: Keeping one car lifestyle for 6+ years plus personal growth win  (Read 1518 times)

Ponderosa

Keeping one car lifestyle for 6+ years plus personal growth win
« on: October 09, 2019, 07:41:24 AM »
We have kept one car our entire marriage which is coming on 6 years. Recently, we sometimes talk about a second car for convenience since my wife works weird hours.

A family member wanted to sell their car. This family member (FIL) is rather intrusive in our life and in the past has crossed boundaries when we were less independent and tried to steer our lives in the way he thought was fit. This is another example, as he really wants to pass down this car and 'help us out'. Really he upped what I found was the market price and said he would give us a 'deal' which basically brought it back to market price. He spent 20+ minutes talking all about this car and how he was helping us out by selling it. Mind you he is extremely wealthy and he could just give the car away without missing a beat.

We declined, since even if we wanted it, this was just another way of him butting into our lives. I feel great about the decision and strong boundaries are being built. We are continuing with our one car lifestyle which is freeing.

2sk22

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Keeping one car lifestyle for 6+ years plus personal growth win
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2019, 02:18:26 AM »
Good work - independence from family interference and sticking to a single car are both great!

ULminimalist

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2019, 09:10:39 AM »
I never paid more than $1200 for a car, and they were all reliable and lasted years. My last one was a 1989 Taurus wagon that lasted 7 years, and I got back $200 from scrapping it.

I have several methods that enable me to find reliable cars cheap. I know how to fix them, and what to look for that will cause future problems. I buy "old people" cars like sedans, minivans, wagons from older couples that put them in the yard with a sign. They are usually original owners and have taken care of the vehicle.

There are always minor annoyances with a vehicle this old, none of the heaters or air conditioners worked in my vehicles(in TN, got hot in summer), I just rolled down the windows or wore my winter clothes. The window motors usually didn't work, I took out the motor and jammed a sawed off 2x4 in to hold the window up. It was either up or down. Also, timing belts and water pumps might need replacing, alternators went bad pretty frequently. The shocks were completely gone, I never bothered replacing them.

I never cared what people thought about the cars I drove. A car to me is an appliance, like a washing machine. I just drove them until they died and it cost too much to fix, then scrapped them. I'd spend a couple days finding another one.

I haven't driven since 2013. I always found driving to be irritating and annoying, and I hated it. I scrapped my last car then, and never bought a new one, though I might soon.

AccidentialMustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2019, 10:07:29 AM »
Keep up the good fight. You can (continue to) do it. We'd considered a second car, but changes in life (daycare, job locations, home location) have meant we never had to cross that bridge.

- 14 years married, 1-car household of 3

AfricanMustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2019, 01:33:00 PM »
Well done on 6 years. We've just gone single car for the first time and still hoping it'll work out. In South Africa it is very difficult since long commutes are the norm and public transportation is very limited (I know it probably sounds a bit complainypants). It was possible for us since my wife stopped working and is studying through correspondence.

Monthly savings:

Depreciation $170
Insurance: $95
Maintenance: $55
Gas (it was a guzzler compared to the remaining vehicle): $90
The vehicle was paid off so no financing costs.

Total savings: $410

The $20400 we got out of the sale went into our mortgage at 9.2% for a monthly return of $156.

For a net benefit of $566 per month I figure I can get an Uber every now and then when we have no alternative.

bbqbonelesswing

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2019, 03:17:38 PM »
Nice! We recently became a one car family. As we both walk and take the train to work, we only need the car for errands and trips. It is saving us a lot every month just having one car. You have probably saved thousands over the past 6 years- keep it up.

Ponderosa

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2019, 07:14:11 AM »
I work at home, so it's easy to have one car. Sometimes I drop my wife off at work and pick her up in the event I need the car.

I've been looking at other jobs lately but most of them would be a paycut and I'd need to get another car, which seems silly, so I stay put and stack money in the bank :D

FunkyChopstick

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2019, 07:49:10 AM »
Good for you guys standing strong. In laws..... the double edged sword. Sounds like your FIL is a piece of work. Stay strong and stick it to the man ;)