Author Topic: Just setup tax planning to save me $6,580 additional dollars per year!  (Read 2560 times)

Bearded Man

• Handlebar Stache
Many are already doing this, but I have only in the last year or so gotten serious about tax planning to get more of my money back. I just finally enrolled in my companies 401k (took them a while to figure out my account issues) so I can sock away 18K there each year. Also, I started using the IRA last year too, and got 2K back just from that! Of course there are the rentals, which gave me the income basically tax free AND I got 1K back for them as well. But the focus of this post is just merely putting money into these types of accounts I was able to get almost $550 a month worth of my money back (each month).

Because I was only able to enroll today, I had to allocate 100% of my December pay to the 401K. It still won't max out this year, only about half, but the machine is in place for future years. Will have to live off rental income and savings in December, but that's OK.

Also, I had setup an HSA a few months ago, saving me $980 a year on top of the above. Basically, my income is about 162K a year counting rental income, and with deductions, I am paying only about 32K a year in taxes with this strategy. Still not perfect but a lot better than before!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 01:48:40 PM by Bearded Man »

4ednazoe

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Just setup tax planning to save me $6,580 additional dollars per year!
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2015, 12:30:24 AM »
Many are already doing this, but I have only in the last year or so gotten serious about tax planning to get more of my money back. I just finally enrolled in my companies 401k (took them a while to figure out my account issues) so I can sock away 18K there each year. Also, I started using the IRA last year too, and got 2K back just from that! Of course there are the rentals, which gave me the income basically tax free AND I got 1K back for them as well. But the focus of this post is just merely putting money into these types of accounts I was able to get almost $550 a month worth of my money back (each month).

Because I was only able to enroll today, I had to allocate 100% of my December pay to the 401K. It still won't max out this year, only about half, but the machine is in place for future years. Will have to live off rental income and savings in December, but that's OK.

Also, I had setup an HSA a few months ago, saving me $980 a year on top of the above. Basically, my income is about 162K a year counting rental income, and with deductions, I am paying only about 32K a year in taxes with this strategy. Still not perfect but a lot better than before!
Impressive.  I read and read still didn't know jow you did.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Bearded Man

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2015, 07:56:52 AM »
I said exactly how I did it...401k, IRA, HSA and rental deductions.

txranger

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2015, 06:48:28 AM »

How are you deducting rent, when working as W2?

jnc

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2015, 06:56:23 AM »

How are you deducting rent, when working as W2?

I assume he is talking about rent income from rental properties. You can deduct mortgage interest against that income and there's also depreciation, just to name a few things.