Author Topic: Just replaced my laptop screen for 12 bucks  (Read 2375 times)

Goatee Joe

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Just replaced my laptop screen for 12 bucks
« on: October 26, 2013, 09:56:20 AM »
Feeling pretty badass this morning, in a tech-geek sorta way.  I accidentally stepped on my netbook a couple weeks ago, smashing its LCD screen (well, it was still kinda useable but had these black, inky streaks all across the screen).  Figured I'd have to buy a new laptop, and was looking around on sites like bestbuy.com and the deals for a comparable computer weren't too great.  Was gonna have to pay several hundred bucks to replace it.  Similar ripoffs to have the Geek Squad fix it.  So I hunted around a bit and found a DIY tutorial on Youtube that walked me thru it.  Then it dawned on me that I had enough points on my Amazon credit card to almost get it for free.  $12 and a week later, it was at my door.  Thanks to my artist wife and her fine motor skills (those screws are tiny!) we disassembled the computer, popped the old screen out, and installed the new one in just a few minutes.  Works like a charm!

Anyway, just thought I'd share.  If you're clumsy like me and manage to eff up your laptop screen, don't waste money buying a whole new machine, or taking it to a repair shop.  Most screens are fairly standardized these days and this is a fix you can do yourself with nothing more than a new screen ordered online and 7 minutes worth of training from the Screen Surgeons page on Youtube.

SavingMon(k)ey

• Bristles
Re: Just replaced my laptop screen for 12 bucks
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2013, 10:02:07 AM »
Oh, man, that's awesome. I feel stupid now. I am clumsy too, apparently and damaged my screen a few months ago. Paid a couple of hundred to get it fixed. How much would the screen have been without your Amazon points?

totoro

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2013, 10:30:43 AM »
I have the same problem.  I'm going to try to find a new screen online. 

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2013, 06:06:27 PM »
Badass

Goatee Joe

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2013, 07:57:51 AM »
worldstrad - The screen was originally about 40 bucks.  I had around $28 in credit from my Amazon visa (gives you points you can either cash in, use on give cards, or use toward purchases on Amazon.com), so that knocked it down to around $12.  Got the free Super Saver shipping too, since it was over $25 sales price.  To find it, I just searched something like "Toshiba netbook replacement screen" in the Amazon search feature.  One of the comments from previous buyers led me to the Youtube tutorial page.

Tami1982

• Handlebar Stache
    • Disabled Girl on Fire
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2013, 12:00:08 PM »
I would also recommend trying ebay.  I did something similar years ago and replaced both my keyboard and screen for $30.  There are computer scrappers parting out all over ebay.