Author Topic: Just hooked up my very first bidet  (Read 8107 times)

PeachFuzzInVA

• Stubble
Just hooked up my very first bidet
« on: January 05, 2014, 01:17:24 PM »
With a household of 5, and 3 of us being human poop factories, we go through quite a bit of toilet paper and baby wipes. After years of wanting to make the switch to cut down on tp cost, my better half finally got me one for Christmas ($39 for the Luxe MB110 off Amazon). It's been a busy few weeks since Christmas, so I just now finally got a chance to install it and, of course, tested it out right afterwards. All I can say is that cold water can be a bit shocking, but 100% clean (did a TP test after spraying to make sure), just have to dry the booty off you're done. I still don't have her on board for using it, but she'll come around. Does anyone else use one? Recommendations for getting the whole family on board?

Mlkmn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Just hooked up my very first bidet
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 01:40:57 PM »
My wife and I use a handheld one. It works well.  We have a stack of cloth squares in a basket on top of the tank that are just for those using the bidet to pat the water off. We have a small lidded trash can with a removable plastic liner that we put them in. About once a week they go into the laundry with the other towels. It equals about one extra hand towel so there is no extra laundry. 

There is regular tp for guests who won't use the bidet. 

amha

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 09:38:42 PM »
$39?!? That's incredible. I went to elementary school in Japan, and ever since have had an obsession with Japanese toilets (electronic bidets, air dryers, heated seats, etc., etc.), but all the toilets/toilet seats that Toto (the main manufacturer) sells in the US are hundreds of dollars (and the top models are in the low four digits). $39 for a bidet! I know just where I would stick that... well, er, thanks for the tip.

How is it working? Would you recommend it? (The Japanese models tend to have heated water, which is a bit more pleasant.)

Honestly, it seems like not having any toilet paper available would be a sufficiently strong motivator. They just need a push to get over that initial hurdle, and then they'll realize how awesome it is!

blackfedora

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 01:03:41 PM »
My wife and I went to Thailand for our honeymoon and fell in love with the "bum gun" (It's just a kitchen sink sprayer). Definitely a necessity when eating a ton of spicy Thai food.

We just moved into our first house and I put together a bum gun in the master suite for about $30. I like it better than a bidet since you can aim it. We still use TP to dry off, but we're using less than half of what we were using, and clogs have been much less of an issue as well.

PeachFuzzInVA

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 07:02:03 PM »
I've only used it once so far, but that one time it definitely got the job done. My better half tried it today, she wasn't as excited as I was, but I think over time with a little bit of gentle encouragement she'll use it on a regular basis too. The one she got me is completely manual, so it doesn't have any of those fancy electronics or anything, but there are versions available with warm water too. They just didn't make sense for the layout of our bathroom.

milla

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2014, 06:01:14 PM »
The bidet is like the one and only thing I miss about South America...

Who the hell am I kidding, I miss the FOOD....

but bidets are great. I think I could convince my husband to install one if only our bathrooms could even remotely accommodate them.

Emilyngh

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2014, 06:35:07 PM »
We have a diaper sprayer hooked up to our toilet for spraying off cloth diapers.

I never considered using it myself, but sounds like it's similar to what you just got.   I'm not thrilled about the idea of cold water, and if I were to ever switch I'd need a good solution to the drying issue, but I might try it to see what I think.....

Mlkmn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2014, 03:45:31 AM »
We have a diaper sprayer hooked up to our toilet for spraying off cloth diapers.

I never considered using it myself, but sounds like it's similar to what you just got.   I'm not thrilled about the idea of cold water, and if I were to ever switch I'd need a good solution to the drying issue, but I might try it to see what I think.....

Here is what we use for drying.

We just bought a yard of terry cloth, cut it, and put a stitch around the edges. They work quite well. After use we throw them in this:

Then we throw them in the wash when that gets full with other towels/clothes. It doesn't make any extra laundry because its like one or two hand towels worth of cloth. Altogether with the handheld bidet, cloth, and trash can we spent at most $50.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 03:49:41 AM by Mlkmn »

Emilyngh

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2014, 07:27:00 AM »
We currently use very similar cloths, and pretty much the exact same trash can for DD's cloth diapering.   To be frank, I don't love the idea of the cloths sitting out in the bathroom, but I guess I could try putting then in some kind of closed container.   Let me first try the sprayer and see if I can handle the cold ;)

Itchin4Scratch

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2014, 05:53:12 PM »
I would like to know what bidet you have.  Could you pot a pic or link of the product?

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2014, 09:11:10 PM »
With a household of 5, and 3 of us being human poop factories, we go through quite a bit of toilet paper and baby wipes. After years of wanting to make the switch to cut down on tp cost, my better half finally got me one for Christmas ($39 for the Luxe MB110 off Amazon).
My goodness, how much have you been spending on toilet paper?

No lifestyle criticism from here, but we go literally months between buying 12-packs... even when our daughter is home from college.

meadow lark

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2014, 01:17:03 PM »
Just looked up diaper sprayers, thinking they would be a low cost option.  Wow - they are expensive.

jba302

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2014, 01:51:54 PM »
This is tempting. I think our 2 daughters are under the impression that the minimum amount of tp to use per visit is a full roll regardless of purpose.

PeachFuzzInVA

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2014, 06:31:27 PM »
With a household of 5, and 3 of us being human poop factories, we go through quite a bit of toilet paper and baby wipes. After years of wanting to make the switch to cut down on tp cost, my better half finally got me one for Christmas ($39 for the Luxe MB110 off Amazon).
My goodness, how much have you been spending on toilet paper?

No lifestyle criticism from here, but we go literally months between buying 12-packs... even when our daughter is home from college.

Easily a 36 pack every 2 months. Without going into too much detail, I have some pretty severe digestive issues and it's not uncommon for me to make 2-3 trips to the gentleman's room daily. Since installing the bidet, our consumption has dropped to about a roll per week. For some people, it may not be worth it, but it is definitely an investment that will pay for itself in a rather short amount of time for our family.

lauraredcloud

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2014, 07:08:16 PM »
I just got one too! TBH I don't think it's a savings for us but it's kinda nice and the cold water is nowhere near as shocking as I thought it would be. I'm glad we didn't spring for the added utility cost & installation complexity of the heated model.

Mama Mia

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 09:20:15 PM by Mama Mia »