Author Topic: Just finished my 2nd free book from Overdrive  (Read 5186 times)

chevelle57

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Just finished my 2nd free book from Overdrive
« on: July 04, 2015, 07:04:22 PM »
I just finished reading my 2nd free book from Overdrive.  I even found a book that I had recently purchased for 9.99 on there.  Kind of making me kick my self didn't even think about checking on there.  I'v put my kindle buying on lock down, there are plenty of options on there vs spending money on a new book.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Just finished my 2nd free book from Overdrive
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2015, 10:29:48 PM »
Agreed. Overdrive is amazing for both eBooks and audio books.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

enb123

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2015, 05:46:59 AM »
I use it pretty much exclusively for audiobooks and e-books.  The only exception is when Amazon/Audible offers me or my wife the occasional trial membership.  Love it!

Insanity

• Handlebar Stache
Just finished my 2nd free book from Overdrive
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2015, 05:58:16 AM »
Overdrive is pretty sweet, but it ultimately depends on the library system and what it has.  That isn't to say it is bad, but it is limited.

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
  • FIRE: June 17, 2016
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2015, 06:57:22 AM »
I love overdrive!  One of the best tricks is if you're taking a college class, check out the book(s) you need for the course from the college library and transfer them to a nook. Don't connect the nook back to your computer until the semester ends - that way even though the checkout time is expired, the book won't get deleted.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2015, 09:18:24 AM »
I adore Overdrive.  I have also found that once I transfer audio books from my computer to my mp3 player they are there forever unless I throw them away.

chevelle57

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2015, 12:49:12 PM »
I adore Overdrive.  I have also found that once I transfer audio books from my computer to my mp3 player they are there forever unless I throw them away.

This is very good to know I might see what my options are for audio books.  I travel a lot for work and this should give me more then a few flights and long drives worth of entertainment.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2015, 05:48:14 PM »
Just Downloaded the last of the Cahill, Hinges of History Series.  Had to do this one as an ebook instead of an audio book.  Irks me when I have to switch to a different medium part way through a series.  Definitely a 21st Century complaint.  The excellent book I get through the air for free comes as print instead of sound waves. 

enb123

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2015, 04:00:52 AM »

Thanks for the tip!  I've been using the app to download them and, even with the possibility of renewing it once, I feel like I need to plow through the books to finish on time.  I will definitely give this a shot.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2015, 08:46:21 AM »
About 5 years ago I made a resolution to read/get through more books, of more different genres. Prior to discovering Overdrive, I was reading physical books, maybe around 30/year...WAY too few. This year, combo of physical books and Overdrive, I'm on track to finish more than 150 books!

So exciting, esp since my list (yes, actual physical list) of to-be-read books numbers in the thousands.

However, I'm getting close to burning through the local library system selection. BUT, I discovered that for an annual sign up fee, you can become a member of the Philadelphia Library System, and have access to their Overdrive catalog. Their library is much bigger, so I figure I have 3 or 4 more years going at the rate that I currently am, before I exhaust their resources.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2015, 09:46:53 AM »
Don't forget to have friends/family who trust you and live in different areas get a library card so you can use it on overdrive.  I have access to a few different library systems through that.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2015, 09:51:36 AM »
Don't forget to have friends/family who trust you and live in different areas get a library card so you can use it on overdrive.  I have access to a few different library systems through that.

Oh, that's a good idea! Will look into it!

eostache

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2015, 07:22:14 PM »
I've been collecting free ebooks from Kindle for a couple of years now. I think I have about 400 now. I subscribe to Book Gorilla and Bookbub. I get emails every day that have cheap ebooks, and a few free ones. Some books are free for a short time, like a day. Any free ones that look ok I just grab them. Some books are not so great, but some are good.

I recently found one in my collection that I don't recall when I got it, but it is a book about a woman's trek on the Pacific Crest Trail. (Through Hiking Will Break Your Heart, by Carrot Quinn.) I started reading it and loved it. Then I had to go read her blog, then I just reread the ebook again.

A couple years ago my brother gave me a DVD with 4000 epub books that he downloaded from somewhere. I picked out 200 from that that I want to read. It included a lot of sci fi and fantasy books, and other fiction. I am currently reading Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. It's been a long time since I've read that book.

I had a Nexus 7 tablet but never got much into using it. I recently got a used 5.5 inch phone that I just wanted to use as a wifi tablet. I like the size of it much better than the Nexus 7. The phone has 32gb + 16gb card. Plenty of space for the 600+ books I have on it.

bludreamin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2015, 09:27:37 PM »
Just Downloaded the last of the Cahill, Hinges of History Series.  Had to do this one as an ebook instead of an audio book. Irks me when I have to switch to a different medium part way through a series.  Definitely a 21st Century complaint.  The excellent book I get through the air for free comes as print instead of sound waves.

I have this same problem - mostly going from print to audio at least because it never sounds like what I think.

Also - a tip for those in NYS - you can get a library card number through the NYC public library to use on their system, which I know has more than my local branch.  It's been a while since I've had an account but IIRC it's a short term (0.5-1 hr) account and you have to provide NYS proof of residency.

FLA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2015, 09:16:40 PM »

However, I'm getting close to burning through the local library system selection. BUT, I discovered that for an annual sign up fee, you can become a member of the Philadelphia Library System, and have access to their Overdrive catalog. Their library is much bigger, so I figure I have 3 or 4 more years going at the rate that I currently am, before I exhaust their resources.

my library has a ton of stuff on Overdrive, but you wait months for anything good.  So I Philly for a while.

you do know you can tons of new magazines free to your device?  The New Yorker, $100- now free, love it!

ck25

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2015, 09:15:51 PM »
I LOVE OverDrive. It has saved me thousands in ebook costs over the past two years; I now make it my goal to collect library cards to have a larger selection of books to borrow.

CA residents have it made - Los Angeles Public Library has a really extensive collection and you only need a CA driver's license to get a card (you don't have to live in LA county). I picked one up while vacationing there a couple of years ago and it's the first place I check for books now because they have SO much.

Also, if you're ever in the Austin, TX, area, be sure to stop by a branch of the public library. They will give literally ANYONE who walks in off the street a card for free - being physically present in their library location is the only requirement to get a card; Austin/Texas residency is irrelevant. They have a wide selection as well, and really great availability for popular books.