Author Topic: Just cut my vehicle recovery renewal by over 50%!  (Read 3714 times)

EarlyRetirementGuy

• Stubble
    • Early Retirement Guy
Just cut my vehicle recovery renewal by over 50%!
« on: July 10, 2014, 05:31:57 AM »
Everytime I signup for an annual service I always make sure to cancel to auto-renewal so that the company has to contact me to renew.

It's coming up to my renewal date for breakdown cover on my uber-cheap commuting motorbike so my recovery company calls up and quotes £60! Considering I paid £34.99 last year thats a huge increase! I pointed this out to the sales guy and he responded with the dreaded line "That was an introductory offer price". Oh.. so you value other people more than your current customers?! I told him not to renew and that I would call up the other major recovery company here in the UK.

After lying to them about my renewal quote (Said it was £34.99) they offered to cover for £28.99. Not bad, right? Well I thought what the hell, may as well see if my current company could match that. After all, its easier to just stick with the same company. They came back and said they would do the renewal for £28! Less than half the £60 they were originally stating.

I'd just saved £32 ($55) in 10 minutes.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 09:18:56 AM by EarlyRetirementGuy »

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Just cut my recovery renewal by over 50%!
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 09:17:24 AM »
I have no idea what you renewed (recovering from what?  I originally thought this thread was going to be about working out), but the process you used was solid, and saved you ~100/hr., so way to go!
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

EarlyRetirementGuy

• Stubble
    • Early Retirement Guy
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 09:18:41 AM »
Sorry should have been clearer! vehicle breakdown recovery. It really annoys me how companies will offer massive discounts to attract new customers and then just wack up the price hoping people are too lazy to change.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 10:12:12 AM »
I have no idea what you renewed (recovering from what?  I originally thought this thread was going to be about working out), but the process you used was solid, and saved you ~100/hr., so way to go!

I thought you don't support lying

okashira

• Bristles
Re: Just cut my vehicle recovery renewal by over 50%!
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 10:30:17 AM »
What is that? Is is like AAA?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 10:32:09 AM »

I thought you don't support lying

I don't do it myself.  I wouldn't have felt comfortable doing the "tell other person my quote was $X when it wasn't" part, I'd have just asked what the lowest pirce they could give me was.

But I also don't judge or have a problem with someone who does.  It's just not for me, and I think there are major benefits to living completely genuinely.

Sorry should have been clearer! vehicle breakdown recovery. It really annoys me how companies will offer massive discounts to attract new customers and then just wack up the price hoping people are too lazy to change.

Never heard of that.  Why are you paying for it at all?
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

EarlyRetirementGuy

• Stubble
    • Early Retirement Guy
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 10:40:07 AM »

If my motorbike breaks down, they come and repair it or tow me to a garage. It's only for when out on the road. If it breaks down at home I'd attempt to fix it myself but dont fancy the chances of being stranded on a motorway.

wtjbatman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2014, 10:48:08 AM »
We've got some shady people in this neighborhood. Remind me to always keep my belongings in sight.

EarlyRetirementGuy

• Stubble
    • Early Retirement Guy
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2014, 10:52:20 AM »
I don't do it myself.  I wouldn't have felt comfortable doing the "tell other person my quote was $X when it wasn't" part, I'd have just asked what the lowest pirce they could give me was.

I did, it was £60.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2014, 11:10:15 AM »

If my motorbike breaks down, they come and repair it or tow me to a garage. It's only for when out on the road. If it breaks down at home I'd attempt to fix it myself but dont fancy the chances of being stranded on a motorway.

Gotcha.  Similar to AAA, like okashira said, though AAA doesn't repair it, just will come give you gas if you run out, or a jump if your battery's dead, or tow it to a repair place.  They might fix flats too, IDK.  But no real repairs.  If yours does that, that's neat.

okashira

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2014, 11:27:41 AM »
That's actually pretty cool. Makes sense that that service would be combined with tow/flat/battery services. Why not carry a basic set of mechanic tools in the tow truck?

Here in Hoo Stan that wouldn't work. Our tow truck drivers are all convicts, scam artists (and downright dangerous/aggressive drivers) whom you can't trust to tow, let alone fix your car.
I don't speak for all of them, just most. :-)

EarlyRetirementGuy

• Stubble
    • Early Retirement Guy
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2014, 11:35:20 AM »
Gotcha.  Similar to AAA, like okashira said, though AAA doesn't repair it, just will come give you gas if you run out, or a jump if your battery's dead, or tow it to a repair place.  They might fix flats too, IDK.  But no real repairs.  If yours does that, that's neat.

Must be more of a european thing then. Here they will attempt to do repairs on side of road with a reported 80% success rate.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2014, 03:58:42 PM »

Must be more of a european thing then. Here they will attempt to do repairs on side of road with a reported 80% success rate.

Wow.  I've seen AAA fix change flats, provide gas and radiator fluid, slim-jim a door lock, replace a belt (not sure which), and bang on a starter motor with a broomstick (this actually worked!).  But nothing super serious.... still I'd expect 80% of "breakdowns" are the above kind of thing that can be fixed easily.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2014, 10:25:26 AM »

Wow.  I've seen AAA fix change flats, provide gas and radiator fluid, slim-jim a door lock, replace a belt (not sure which), and bang on a starter motor with a broomstick (this actually worked!).  But nothing super serious.... still I'd expect 80% of "breakdowns" are the above kind of thing that can be fixed easily.

You need to get (or ride in) more reliable cars.  :P

EarlyRetirementGuy

• Stubble
    • Early Retirement Guy
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2014, 11:32:15 AM »
still I'd expect 80% of "breakdowns" are the above kind of thing that can be fixed easily.

Yeah I expect so. Personally I have it as it is a relatively minor expense for the insurance of knowing you wont be stranded. I cant carry a tonne of tools around with my on a bike.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2014, 12:55:34 PM »

You need to get (or ride in) more reliable cars.  :P

Haha... yeah but only one of the above can't be attributed to user error.  I need to start riding in cars owned by people who properly maintain them!