Author Topic: Just cut my own hair  (Read 23069 times)

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
Re: Just cut my own hair
« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2014, 09:01:56 PM »
I cut my own hair once in a while.  I have medium-length, layered hair (Sometimes it's fluffy enough to look like Farrah's in the famous poster, but a little shorter).  I bend over at the waist, let my hair hang down straight, then try to cut a straight line at the bottom.  It usually looks fantastic for a week or two.  I can use this technique twice in a row before it starts looking like a 2 year-old cut it.  It's pretty embarrassing when I go back to the hairstylist who invariably asks "who did this?"   

enigmaT120

• Bristles
« Reply #51 on: March 18, 2014, 03:42:11 PM »
My wife found a Flowbee at Goodwill, so I cut my own hair with it, pretty short as I'm always wearing helmets or bump caps.  She trims the short stuff at the back sometimes as I can't easily do it.  Not evenly, anyway.

mark_saver

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #52 on: March 18, 2014, 04:44:46 PM »
I've been cutting my own hair and my boys hair for a few years now. In fact, I just checked on Amazon and I purchased the cheapa** Wahl version in August 2006! This is the one I got http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006IVEQ it was $10.49 back then and now it is still pretty darn cheap. I bought it when haircuts started costing me $18 with tip and I noticed that it took the guy/gal only about 5 minutes with the electric cutter. I figured I could do that myself pretty easily, and sure enough I can with a little help from my wife. When we do haircuts, we go outside in the yard, attach an extension cord to the cutter, and cut away. I cut both boy's hair, one with a #3 and the other with a #4. After the hair is all cut, I take the guard off and even out the sides around the ears, and the back of the head above the neck. Takes about 6-7 minutes per boy. Then I begin doing my own hair with a #1, and then my wife finishes it up to catch the spots I missed. Then I head to the shower where my wife uses a razor on the back of my neck to get a nice even cut and a clean neck all the way till below my shirt collars.

The funny thing is that in 2010, I bought a spare cutter (a slightly better Wahl version) thinking that the cheapa** one would eventually break, but it still works perfectly after nearly 8 years! The new one is still in the box somewhere in the house.

Vorpal

• Stubble
« Reply #53 on: May 04, 2014, 06:01:56 PM »
Bought a sweet yellow/black Wahl trimmer (probably the Cadillac version, haha) today, and my lovely wife cut my hair. She did a great job! One more haircut and this puppy will have paid for itself :D
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 06:07:20 PM by Winston »

The Borgs

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #54 on: May 05, 2014, 04:30:11 PM »
I started cutting my husbands just before we got married. Though that had less to do with frugality and more to do with me not liking the flirtatious hairdresser rubbing her boobs on his head (he hadn't noticed that particularly, but admitted he'd found haircuts quite relaxing). In the past 9 years he's been to the hairdressers on 3 occasions, generally when I worry about his hair being uneven and want them to give it the once over. His is cut with scissors and trimmed around with clippers.

My hair I've alternated between hairdressers and DIY. Currently my hair is sort of "Ellen style", I recently set to and cut it myself. The job wasn't 100%, but then again I've had worse cuts from hairdressers.

The advantage to hairdressing over other things you can DIY is when it grows back you can try again. And I've found there's a fairly steep learning curve, given you're more apt to try hard not to have yourself looking like a fool!

k8esfolly

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #55 on: May 05, 2014, 05:00:51 PM »
Anyone have fine, curly-wavy hair and manage this? Seems like it's harder to do layers on yourself.

I go to a wonderful lady who takes care of me in like 20 mins for $30 including tip. Upside of my hair texture is it grows out well so I only go about every 3-4 months.

I do!  I cut mine for several years in a medium-length layered cut.  Check out howtohairgirl.com--she has a few hair vids for pay but also some free ones on youtube and tutorials on her blog and shows how to do many different styles, from a pixie cut to bob to long-layers.

Now mine is pretty short and I swap haircuts with my mom.  I do hers (also fine and very curly, like a 3B, and quite short) and she does mine. We learned how on youtube. :) Win-win.

SJS

• Stubble
« Reply #56 on: May 05, 2014, 07:35:32 PM »
YAY!!! A HUGE way to save money!!! Another BIG money pit is the hair salon/barber.  My hubby has been cutting his own hair this way with clippers for close to 15 years.  And I have a very short cut that I pay only $25 a month for.  Hubby use to highlight my hair and did a pretty darn good job - at least girlfriends would ask if he'd do theirs!! ha ha    And I have to say, I am always getting compliments on my hairstyle!  So you don't have to pay a fortune to get a good haircut.  I had asked a gal who had a really cute short cut where/who did her hair, and she gave me the info!  SCORE!   

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #57 on: May 05, 2014, 09:58:49 PM »
Anyone have fine, curly-wavy hair and manage this? Seems like it's harder to do layers on yourself.

I go to a wonderful lady who takes care of me in like 20 mins for $30 including tip. Upside of my hair texture is it grows out well so I only go about every 3-4 months.

I do!  I cut mine for several years in a medium-length layered cut.  Check out howtohairgirl.com--she has a few hair vids for pay but also some free ones on youtube and tutorials on her blog and shows how to do many different styles, from a pixie cut to bob to long-layers.

Now mine is pretty short and I swap haircuts with my mom.  I do hers (also fine and very curly, like a 3B, and quite short) and she does mine. We learned how on youtube. :) Win-win.

Might still take me a while to take the plunge. Or maybe some desperation. Or maybe moving to an expensive area and not wanting to find another awesome hairperson.

Might teach the boy to do it. Not actually hard to do, just hard(er) to do on oneself...

carozy

• Bristles
« Reply #58 on: May 09, 2014, 10:33:26 AM »
This thread gave me the courage to cut my hair for the first time today! Woohoo.  I used this tutorial:  http://www.cosmopolitan.co.uk/beauty-hair/beauty-tips/how-to-cut-your-own-hair-video-beauty-lab.  It looks really good--no different from when I get it done at the hair dresser.  I totally recommend this technique if you're a woman with longish hair and want slight face-framing layers. I've always been afraid to cut it, because I didn't want it too look too "blunt" on the ends, and the ponytail technique solves that problem!

I just tried that today and it turned out great! DH agreed that I can cut his hair next time it needs it, on the condition that he gets to go back to a professional if I haven't gotten the hang of it after four months. Looking forward to the savings (and to avoiding awkward small talk at the hair salon)!

Tried it two weeks and ago and very happy with the cut I did myself!  The sides around the face look really good.  You can't tell it's a homemade cut, at least with my hair.  I cut it about shoulder length too, and then did the front pony-tail cut for the side layers. 

I remember being unhappy with haircuts I paid for in the past many times.  Sometimes I would even have to get another hair cut just to fix it.    From now on I'll just cut it myself. ~ :)

$200k

• Stubble
« Reply #59 on: May 09, 2014, 12:06:09 PM »
Everyone on this thread is awesome.  I need to cut my own hair.  I get a #2 on the back and sides, and a trim up top.  I'm guessing this shouldn't be too hard, except maybe for the back.

I have fast growing hair and I require a cut once a month for $18 + tip. Never again!