Author Topic: Just cut my own hair  (Read 23057 times)

Honest Abe

• Bristles
  • Emancipate Yourself from Mental Slavery
Just cut my own hair
« on: December 14, 2013, 06:17:57 PM »
I finally bought a Wahl Deluxe Haircutting Kit from Costco (On sale for $25.) My wife was a bit apprehensive about me cutting my own hair. Tonight while I had an hour to myself I decided to give it a go.

I scissor cut the top and used a #8 around the sides. After my hair dried a little I combed it the way I would for work and checked it out in the mirror. I then used a #6 (I should have used a #7, it got a little dicey at one point) to blend the sides with the top a little better.

The results... well it's not quite as good as a barber could do it, but with a little practice I could get it darn close. But now I don't have to worry about keeping hair cutting appointments. I feel very empowered by this, and to top it all off this thing has already paid for itself.

To anyone who is apprehensive about doing it: unless you're high maintenance you'll probably do a passable enough job and not mind the less-than-perfect result.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 06:19:28 PM by Honest Abe »

Fireman

• Bristles
Re: Just cut my own hair
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, 07:55:11 PM »
Well done!  I've been cutting my own hair for several years and i'm into 4 digits of savings.  From the sounds of it though, my hair is a lot easier to cut...same length all the way around!

Congrats and keep up the good work.  Every little bit counts!

ethilo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2013, 07:57:12 PM »
Cut it 1 more time and you'll break even for supercuts.  With every haircut thereafter you will continue to get more skillful and each one will be free!

If I'm doing a job interview, or have some reason to make sure the haircut is perfect, then I'll go to a nice fancy hair stylist since I already am saving so much money by cutting it myself the rest of the time.

You might also consider... If you get your wife to cut your hair it should be even easier.  She would just have to be up for it.

AtlStash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2013, 08:03:37 PM »
I bought a Remington from Walmart for $12 and started having my wife cut it last week. It turned out good. I just could not see continuing to pay the full $15 for a hair cut when I only have half the hair. Genetics will eventually make any hair cut unnecessary.

JPier

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2013, 04:33:15 PM »
Been doing it for 14 years...im not a barber but I pretty much do what ever stile I want,
Its really easy I dont see the point off paying $20+ per haircut
I do have a trimmer + a clipper ,I do it every week,Fade haircut.
Just get a hand held mirror at dollar store and clean and oil up clippers with every use.
There are a lot off videos on youtube.

greenmimama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2013, 07:27:28 PM »
I am a hairdresser by trade, but I had been going to see a friend in a fancy salon for my long hair, it was bugging me so much I cut it today and it looks great, thus saving me a 30min drive, a babysitter, a $50 haircut and a $10 tip.

I felt pretty accomplished, I have always cut my DH and kids hair too, can't imagine my little boys liking a stranger doing it after all this time.

annaraven

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2013, 10:50:05 PM »
I cut my husband's hair. I use one of the trimmers as well. I start with a # 5 or 6, then #4 for the sides, then a #3 for above the ears and along the back, and then clean up his neck. Looks better and saves $20 a go over the lady he used to see.

robtown

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2013, 07:38:48 PM »
Congratulations Honest Abe on you savings of time and cash.   

I started shaving (bic and electric) but have gotten a bit lazier and buzz cut my hair once a week.   I also bought a kit for under $25.   The shorter cut has many benefits.   I don't need to comb, never have bed hair, and look a few years younger with the gray hair minimized.   

JessieImproved

• Stubble
    • Jessie : Improved
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2013, 08:14:26 AM »
I've been cutting my own hair for years, but it's long (lady) hair, so a little different.  Side swept bangs and fairly straight on the bottom.  I consider my job to be lower quality than a schmancy salon but higher quality than a discount haircut.  (I know a lot of people have success going to discount places but I was just never satisfied with the result, and I tried a LOT of them).

Oh, and FYI, I literally use a well sharpened pair of scissors and a comb.  Yay long hair!

iwanttobelive

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2013, 08:20:11 AM »
I do the same thing. If you buzz it, its super easy, slightly longer styles theres a lot of youtube videos out there on how to do it. I've found it helps to use a shaving razor to clean the back of your neck after you've shaped the back with the trimer. If you're not growing your hair out (like a shaggy style hair cut or longer), cutting the side burns, around the ears, shaping the back (takes less than 5 mins for all that) can get you by every few weeks (vs taking the time to do a whole hair cut).

FIreDrill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2013, 09:22:11 AM »
I've started cutting my own hair recently and I have probably done it 6-8 times so far.  It really isn't that hard and the only times I've been frustrated was when I was in a rush for something.  I think I'm going to start cutting it more often, I figure if I'm taking off less then it should be easier and not take as long.  I think I'm going to shoot for every two weeks. 

anastrophe

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2013, 09:25:49 AM »
Any tips for cutting short hair with scissors rather than with clippers? There's a lot on YouTube but I'm overwhelmed. I have a comb and good scissors and all that, just not sure where to start (clippers are so much easier).

Allen

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2013, 03:31:10 PM »
i'm lucky as being black I just use my professional grade Wahl trimmer I bought several years ago for $50, put on the 3mm attachment, buzz my whole head, and call it day.  My wife will clean up my neck sometimes to help make it look more professional. 

It's amazing how much money I saved by doing this.

/edit: Also, by having super short hair all the time my shampoo/conditioner costs go way down, and time to get ready in the morning is much shorter. - Super Short Hair, it's a total win.

Akscal

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2013, 04:51:33 PM »
I just cut my own hair last week. I got angry enough to make the change. I always hated going to get my hair cut, the waiting, the gossip, and the cost; all things I could do without. I also bought a wahl and gave myself a dark Cesar. Not quite as good as the pros, but passable non the less, at least no-one said anything bad yet. I am excited, as this will save me at least 180/ year if not more, and has given me a weird new confidence as I search for other things that I hate to outsource, that I could be learning to do myself. This mustachian movement is awesome.

RootofGood

• Handlebar Stache
  • Retired at age 33. 5 years in, still loving it!
    • Root of Good
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2013, 07:22:59 PM »
I just cut my wife's hair.  Just a trim off the back (her hair is long).  I imagine that would have been $30-50 at a salon minimum.  It took me under 10 minutes including clean up.  It's only required a few times per year. 

I always cut my own hair, which consists of shaving the head, eyebrows, and goatee with varying guard lengths (or no guard for my cue ball head).  20 minutes max including clean up.

Both his and hers haircuts are definitely good enough for professional office environments.  It's quicker than driving to a barber shop or salon (let alone undergoing the cutting and waiting in line).  And it saves at least $300-400 per year judging from what others pay for haircuts. 

Oh, we also cut 1.5 year old Mr. RootofGood Jr's hair.  And got compliments from a semi-pro hair stylist.  Another $15 cha-ching!
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 07:25:46 PM by RootofGood »

girly mustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2013, 07:43:03 PM »
I too, am amazed at how empowering it is to cut my (and my daughters) hair. Not only are we saving money - but it's one less errand we have to spend time on.

marz1982

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2013, 02:28:12 AM »
Well done!!  I've started cutting my own hair - using a pony tail technique (I'm female, long hair :)).

My husband is less adventurous, though I tried to convince him I'm up to try it.  We did at one stage get a *very* cheap set of clippers, and it worked for all of 3 runs through his hair before it completely stopped cutting :(  We ended up with a trip to the hairdressers to fix it up.  But I put that down to a very cheap pair, since no-one else seems to run into that problem?

He pays $25 a cut, a good pair would cost us $40 on special, so really worth it...  Will brave it and get ourselves a decent pair :)

RootofGood

• Handlebar Stache
    • Root of Good
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2013, 09:10:21 AM »
Well done!!  I've started cutting my own hair - using a pony tail technique (I'm female, long hair :)).

My husband is less adventurous, though I tried to convince him I'm up to try it.  We did at one stage get a *very* cheap set of clippers, and it worked for all of 3 runs through his hair before it completely stopped cutting :(  We ended up with a trip to the hairdressers to fix it up.  But I put that down to a very cheap pair, since no-one else seems to run into that problem?

He pays $25 a cut, a good pair would cost us $40 on special, so really worth it...  Will brave it and get ourselves a decent pair :)

I don't think I paid over $20 for my clippers at walmart 5-7 years ago.  It's still going strong, although a few years ago it randomly stopped working.  I smacked it firmly and it has worked since then.  Loose connection? 

lackofstache

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2013, 07:32:25 AM »
I bought a $20 set from Wal-Mart about 7 years ago, it's still going strong. Of course as I've started balding more and more my haircut has gotten much more simple and takes less & less time, though I now cut it once every 1-2 weeks where I used to go a month or two between trimmings.

chardog

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2013, 10:30:34 PM »
Been cutting my own for 30 years using clippers.  For all the reasons stated above.  I keep mine pretty short, so gets cut every couple weeks.  So convenient.  It would feel strange to go someplace to have it done.

greenmimama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2013, 09:43:50 AM »
I just cut my wife's hair.  Just a trim off the back (her hair is long).  I imagine that would have been $30-50 at a salon minimum.  It took me under 10 minutes including clean up.  It's only required a few times per year. 

I always cut my own hair, which consists of shaving the head, eyebrows, and goatee with varying guard lengths (or no guard for my cue ball head).  20 minutes max including clean up.

Both his and hers haircuts are definitely good enough for professional office environments.  It's quicker than driving to a barber shop or salon (let alone undergoing the cutting and waiting in line).  And it saves at least $300-400 per year judging from what others pay for haircuts. 

Oh, we also cut 1.5 year old Mr. RootofGood Jr's hair.  And got compliments from a semi-pro hair stylist.  Another $15 cha-ching!

How exactly is someone a semi pro hairstylist?

RootofGood

• Handlebar Stache
    • Root of Good
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2013, 10:19:04 AM »
How exactly is someone a semi pro hairstylist?

Cuts hair sometimes.  Works in a salon usually doing nails and facials.  Doesn't have whatever formal license required to cut hair. 

Ed Mills

• Stubble
  • Join the FI Revolution Y'all!
    • The Millionaire Educator
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2014, 10:20:10 AM »
A few months ago I posted about my experience cutting my hair with a pair of clippers I bought for $20.  My wife insisted on cutting my hair with both the clippers and scissors.  That did not go well!  My wife is super deliberate and precise (she used to be an architect...it's important that buildings not collapse), but I could not take the marathon sessions of little snips here and there with very little cutting actually taking place.  After one of the rare disagreements in our 17 year marriage, we agreed that I would be cutting my hair from now on.

Yesterday I noticed that my hair looked bad, so I took out the clippers and started trimming away.  Before I attached one of the "guide combs," I took out a chunk of of hair on the side.  I thought, "Oh shit!" and decided to just go for it.  I attached the guide comb and ran it over various areas.  After a shower and a comb, my hair didn't look as bad as I anticipated.  My wife had a good laugh at my attempt.

This morning I decided to trim my uneven spots.  I attached the longest guide comb and evened out my hair.  I wouldn't say it's a good haircut, but my hair feels much better.  Overall, I'd rate the cut a 4 on a scale of 10.  However, the price was right and it was done right in my bathroom sink.  Plus, I'm no longer afraid to cut my own hair.

Happy New Year everybody,
Ed
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 10:22:27 AM by Ed Mills »

windawake

• Bristles
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2014, 09:57:26 AM »
I've been cutting my own hair for about a year and a half and I love it. I can cut it as often as I want without worrying about cost. I used to stretch out the time between haircuts to save money and my hair would look raggedy. I use a well sharpened scissors, a comb, and a hair binder. I used to just follow the pattern of the old haircut but have gotten more adventurous. My last haircut got lots of compliments, people couldn't believe I did it myself. It's really satisfying to get your hair exactly how you want it (and to only have yourself to blame if it goes awry).

amyable

• Bristles
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2014, 10:48:49 AM »
This thread gave me the courage to cut my hair for the first time today! Woohoo.  I used this tutorial:  http://www.cosmopolitan.co.uk/beauty-hair/beauty-tips/how-to-cut-your-own-hair-video-beauty-lab.  It looks really good--no different from when I get it done at the hair dresser.  I totally recommend this technique if you're a woman with longish hair and want slight face-framing layers. I've always been afraid to cut it, because I didn't want it too look too "blunt" on the ends, and the ponytail technique solves that problem!

prestojx

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2014, 02:51:22 PM »
I've been cutting my own hair for about a year and a half and I love it. I can cut it as often as I want without worrying about cost. I used to stretch out the time between haircuts to save money and my hair would look raggedy. I use a well sharpened scissors, a comb, and a hair binder. I used to just follow the pattern of the old haircut but have gotten more adventurous. My last haircut got lots of compliments, people couldn't believe I did it myself. It's really satisfying to get your hair exactly how you want it (and to only have yourself to blame if it goes awry).

If that photo is of your DIY haircut it looks awesome! However your stash could use a trim!

ThatsMyOtter

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2014, 09:24:30 PM »
This thread gave me the courage to cut my hair for the first time today! Woohoo.  I used this tutorial:  http://www.cosmopolitan.co.uk/beauty-hair/beauty-tips/how-to-cut-your-own-hair-video-beauty-lab.  It looks really good--no different from when I get it done at the hair dresser.  I totally recommend this technique if you're a woman with longish hair and want slight face-framing layers. I've always been afraid to cut it, because I didn't want it too look too "blunt" on the ends, and the ponytail technique solves that problem!

I just tried that today and it turned out great! DH agreed that I can cut his hair next time it needs it, on the condition that he gets to go back to a professional if I haven't gotten the hang of it after four months. Looking forward to the savings (and to avoiding awkward small talk at the hair salon)!

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2014, 11:51:43 PM »
Props!! Way to go :)

FIreDrill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2014, 02:18:20 PM »

I just tried that today and it turned out great! DH agreed that I can cut his hair next time it needs it, on the condition that he gets to go back to a professional if I haven't gotten the hang of it after four months. Looking forward to the savings (and to avoiding awkward small talk at the hair salon)!

Nice!  You should be able to get the hang of it in four months ;).  I just cut my own hair for the 3rd or 4th straight time and it keeps on getting easier every time.  I am also loving the savings as well!

ArcticaMT6

• Stubble
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2014, 02:55:24 PM »
My mom used to shave my head when I was younger. Highschool I was lazy and never cut it. Once I got to college, I had to keep it clean cut, so I was paying $11 for a haircut (including a straight razor neck/sideburn shave w/hot foam, it was nice), and since then I bought a pair of clippers using a gift card to Amazon that I got for free from swagbucks. I just throw a #3 on and shave the entire head. I'd do a #2, but my wife wants it a bit longer. That was 3 years ago now.

Nancy

« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2014, 06:07:29 PM »
My husband and I just cut my hair! I am beyond happy. It looks awesome, took ten miniutes, and saved me $70. I used the two ponytail shlob technique (without buying the more in depth video of course). http://www.howtohairgirl.com/2012/01/the-glory-of-the-shlob-shaggy-layered-bob/

b4u2

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2014, 06:52:18 AM »
I have been cutting mine and my boy's hair for years. It's pretty easy for us since we just use the shortest guard then a trimmer to line it all up.

coconutpop

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2014, 01:07:00 PM »
I also have been cutting my own hairs for years now. My hair cut is not really hard to make tho. I trim my side and back shorter than my top. Voila, new haircut for free in the space of 10 minutes.

Shor

• Bristles
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2014, 04:01:44 PM »
Cutting my own hair for just 1 years now via clippers + 2 guards.
It was one of my first cuts to the 'misc.' expenses category.

tpozywio

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2014, 01:17:15 PM »
Been cutting my own hair for almost a year!  This week I knocked my clippers off the counter and broke my main gaurd :(.  But pretty cheap replacements on amazon.  Been trying to convince my wife to let me cut her hair

Honest Abe

• Bristles
  • Emancipate Yourself from Mental Slavery
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2014, 01:38:28 PM »
Update: just cut my hair for the 2nd time.

Money saved: $60
Cost of clippers: $25

$35 profit and counting!

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2014, 08:53:55 PM »
:( But I always think of you as having dreds.

growingstaches

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2014, 09:18:23 PM »
My wife cut my hair for the very first time.  I think it looks great, and as a special coincadence it occurred on the 15 year anniversary of our first date.  I'm looking forward to many more cuts from her.

- growingstaches

mxer54

• Stubble
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2014, 11:20:19 AM »
What an outstanding post!  After reading this last night it inspired me to go for it...for me, this is a big one.  I'm required to have a fresh haircut weekly...haircuts are $12 with tip nowadays (used to be $3 in 1994) .  Doing it ourselves saves us $48 a month...$624 a year!  Thats a 624% return! Haha...Especially since I already had a pair of clippers from years ago. While it doesnt look as good as a pro...I dont really care.  it's $624 and my wife will get better with experience!

Now just to convience her to let me cut/dye her hair lol

Thanks honest Abe, for the post!

sheepgetlambs

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2014, 02:05:20 PM »
I bought a Wahl with different colored guards to speed up the process when cutting dc's hair. My son hates getting his hair cut and looking at little numbers printed on black plastic would have been slow. I found our Wahl on sale for $20. I felt the extra cost was worth it for the colored guards. I've been cutting hair with it for two years. It's paid for itself many times over.

Gen Y Finance Journey

• Stubble
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2014, 02:10:53 PM »
My haircuts are really cheap at the local cosmetology school, but those students take a REALLY long time to cut your hair. They need to document everything they're doing, they work slowly and meticulously, and they need to have an instructor come by a few times to check their work. It takes at least 2 hours, often more. I've considered cutting my own hair before, but never gotten up the courage to do it. Maybe I'll give it a go. But probably not in the next 4 weeks, don't want to accidentally mangle my hair right before my wedding. :)

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2014, 02:21:42 PM »
Anyone have fine, curly-wavy hair and manage this? Seems like it's harder to do layers on yourself.

I go to a wonderful lady who takes care of me in like 20 mins for $30 including tip. Upside of my hair texture is it grows out well so I only go about every 3-4 months.

libertarian4321

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2014, 02:51:48 PM »
i'm lucky as being black I just use my professional grade Wahl trimmer I bought several years ago for $50, put on the 3mm attachment, buzz my whole head, and call it day.  My wife will clean up my neck sometimes to help make it look more professional. 

It's amazing how much money I saved by doing this.

/edit: Also, by having super short hair all the time my shampoo/conditioner costs go way down, and time to get ready in the morning is much shorter. - Super Short Hair, it's a total win.

That works for us white folks as well :)  A no frills buzz cut works just fine for me- cheap, and low maintenance.  You can't have "messed up" hair when it's 0.25 inches long.

I got a nice Wahl clipper a couple of years back (about $50), made in the USA, and works far better than my previous cheap Made in China clipper.

Milspecstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2014, 06:36:30 PM »
I cut my own hair last in 1996 but thanks to this blog, I've decided to go back to the past and pick it back up.  However, before I would cut it all one length to make it easy.  Now I actually tried to fade it a bit.  Some errors but nothing worse than what I've gotten from a barbershop in the last year.  I already had a nice set of Oster clippers from when my wife used to cut my hair.  Wahl's never last long on my hair as it is really thick.

Regardless I will be saving about $25/mo now.  Thanks MMM!

anotherAlias

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2014, 07:21:51 PM »
Anyone have fine, curly-wavy hair and manage this? Seems like it's harder to do layers on yourself.

I go to a wonderful lady who takes care of me in like 20 mins for $30 including tip. Upside of my hair texture is it grows out well so I only go about every 3-4 months.

I have curly shoulder length hair that I wear straight/wavy most days and have cut my own hair for years.   I cut my hair dry so I don't have to worry about shrinkage as I'm cutting.  I use the ponytail technique to cut it in layers.  I start with my hair in pigtails high on my head and cut to make the layers.  Then I put it in a back ponytail high on my head to get the layers in the back looking right.  Then I do the same thing but with the pigtails/ponytail very low at my neck to cut the length to the desired length.  After that I'll do some trimming around my face if needed.  At first it would take me 45 min to do this but now I can do it in 10min or so.

homehandymum

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #45 on: March 03, 2014, 01:16:27 AM »
I cut our whole family's hair.  DH has curly hair, which is really forgiving of the odd mistake.  He cuts mine too - long, blunt cut hippy hair that is mostly in a plait all day.  Very easy to trim.

Now that my son is needing his 4th ever haircut I'm thinking I'll need to get some clippers.  Poor child just can't sit still long enough for his mother to do a good job with scissors and comb. 

Anyone have any general recommendations for clippers?  Are the ones with a single adjustable comb any good or should I get one with detachable combs?

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #46 on: March 03, 2014, 10:47:32 AM »
I'm four self-haricuts in since purchasing my electric trimmer set, which means it's already paid for itself -- and I've gotten better at it with each haircut!  I used to think, every time I went to the barber, "damn, why am I paying $15 for this (tip incl.), when I could do this myself?  So glad I made the switch.

the fixer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #47 on: March 03, 2014, 11:43:52 AM »
I'm almost a year into cutting my own (male) hair using hand-me-down clippers and scissors. I have a comb but don't use it. I run the clippers with a guard around the sides and back, sometimes I use the taper guards to clean up the area right around the ears, then I use scissors on the top. I just grab a bunch of hair while looking at it through the mirror to assess length, then just cut off the excess. Repeat for a while until I can't find any more long stuff. It's messy for sure, but that's kind of an in look right now.

The stylist way to use scissors with a comb is to use the comb to gather hair in a line, use a couple fingers of the comb hand to stack for length, then snip off the entire line at the same length. I tried this approach but find it really hard to do with your own head.

The hardest part is getting the back of my head right. I can't see it directly with only one mirror, so I just try to assess by feel. Any tips?

tmac

• Bristles
« Reply #48 on: March 03, 2014, 11:57:49 AM »
I cut my husband's and kids' hair (saving $80/month), and I've decided to start cutting my own as well. I've asked my husband to do it, but he's chicken. What's the worst that could happen? Even if I mess it up, I see enough really bad haircuts out there that I should just fit right in. :)

coconutpop

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2014, 07:41:07 PM »
yeah you will be fine, you can just say it is new fashion in paris and you will see 2 people with the same one on next day.