Author Topic: Just clocked in 63.1MPG on my car!  (Read 2061 times)

MrOnyx

• Pencil Stache
Just clocked in 63.1MPG on my car!
« on: April 19, 2018, 06:08:28 AM »
This surprised me a lot, actually. For some reason I wasn't expecting a MPG rating too much above the lower 40s region. So when I ran the numbers after my recent refill, I was rather shocked! As it happens I don't have the cost-per-gallon to hand (firstly because I never converted it from the cost-per-litre we're given here in the UK, and secondly because I don't have the receipt on me currently, but I'll edit this post later with that if need be), but I DO have some other insights!

So I drive a three-years-new Skoda Citigo. It's a great car, and one of the smallest you can get without buying a capsule-like Smart car. Admittedly, I could have opted for an older version, but the higher-than-average mileage on this one brought the price down to a fairly comfortable region.

This Skoda insists you fill it with 'Super' Unleaded with an octane rating of at least 95 every time you open the fuel cap and read the instructions label printed on the inside of it. My local petrol station offers octane-99 petrol. Sweet. The fuel does make quite a difference if your car specifically asks for it, I believe.

Anyways, here are the numbers:

467 miles driven.

33.96l of petrol bought to fill it up (it was almost empty at this point, I usually don't let it get this far. Was a bit touch and go!)

33.96 Litres = 7.4 Imperial Gallons

~~~~~

467/7.4 = 63.1

This kind of thing makes me excited - like I could be getting close to breaking hypermiling records, but of course we probably aren't doing QUITE that well.

This has set the bar for me. I'd like to think I can beat it, but given that I normally fill up while the tank is half full still (and therefore heavier, requiring more of itself to carry around), it might be quite the challenge.

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Just clocked in 63.1MPG on my car!
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 11:29:45 AM »
You'd want to average several fill ups.  It's quite possible that the pump shut off early.  Next fill up, you may find you only got 18 mpg.  Both numbers will, of course be wrong.  With octane, only go with what's required.  Getting higher octane is a waste of money.  I know that Honda used to use those actual words in their owners manuals. 

APowers

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 08:36:23 PM »
At first, I was really impressed. 63mpg is really amazing. Then I realized you were using imperial gallons, while I'm used to american gallons, which are smaller by 32oz (4 quarts instead of 5). Which means that you have a U.S. equivalent of 50mpg; which is still pretty good-- nothing to be ashamed of.....except the Citigo is a Really Small Car. I drive a '96 Civic hatchback, which is not super-tiny, but it's pretty small, and I can get ~40mpg when I'm not just driving short-trip/cold starts/stop&go. I keep hoping for better fuel efficiency in newer cars, but I continue to be disappointed-- in 20 years, we've simply not come as far as I hoped.

Size-wise, the Citigo is pretty close to the original VW Rabbit in the 1980s, and at 50mpg, gets about the same as the diesel version did back then.

Buuuuuut.....I should probably stop complaining. 50mpg is great. It really is. Good job, and keep up the fine driving. For more tips and tricks on how to get the most mileage for your money, I highly recommend the ecomodder forums.

MrOnyx

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2018, 07:52:54 AM »
At first, I was really impressed. 63mpg is really amazing. Then I realized you were using imperial gallons, while I'm used to american gallons, which are smaller by 32oz (4 quarts instead of 5). Which means that you have a U.S. equivalent of 50mpg; which is still pretty good-- nothing to be ashamed of.....except the Citigo is a Really Small Car. I drive a '96 Civic hatchback, which is not super-tiny, but it's pretty small, and I can get ~40mpg when I'm not just driving short-trip/cold starts/stop&go. I keep hoping for better fuel efficiency in newer cars, but I continue to be disappointed-- in 20 years, we've simply not come as far as I hoped.

Size-wise, the Citigo is pretty close to the original VW Rabbit in the 1980s, and at 50mpg, gets about the same as the diesel version did back then.

Buuuuuut.....I should probably stop complaining. 50mpg is great. It really is. Good job, and keep up the fine driving. For more tips and tricks on how to get the most mileage for your money, I highly recommend the ecomodder forums.

Ah! My apologies for the confusion. I never know which gallons to use, so I'm sorry for that. Britain is a strange land where we've only half converted to the metric system that I was taught in school, meaning I don't know much about the Imperial systems, despite them being used basically everywhere still.

50mpg it is! I'm still happy with that.

You'd want to average several fill ups.  It's quite possible that the pump shut off early.  Next fill up, you may find you only got 18 mpg.  Both numbers will, of course be wrong.  With octane, only go with what's required.  Getting higher octane is a waste of money.  I know that Honda used to use those actual words in their owners manuals. 

I mean it has been pretty consistent so far. It certainly hasn't fluctuated by 50mpgs from refill to refill. As far as octane goes, I haven't seen any that are below 98/99. Maybe it's done for reasons of profit or making sure everyone can use the fuel - wouldn't know. I know that it IS a waste of money if your car doesn't specifically require it, though.

cerat0n1a

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2018, 08:57:14 AM »
I typically get around 60 mpg from my Honda Civic in summer, closer to 50mpg in winter just because I'll have driven 3 or 4 miles before it's warmed up and I don't do many long journeys. I guess a lot depends on the mix of urban/rural driving you do and how much driving you do at a steady 40/50mph rather than 70.

It's pretty difficult to get petrol with a Road Octane Number below 95 in Britain, that's what standard unleaded is. You almost certainly won't get any benefit from the more expensive super unleaded, unless your engine management software detects "knocking" and adjusts accordingly and uses it to produce more power, certainly some of the "luxury" German cars to do that.

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2018, 11:08:07 AM »
I recently got a (used of course) Ford Fusion hybrid.
It tells me the mileage it/I am getting;  an average, the current (though it's not exact) and the mpg of the trip when I turn it off.
On my 3.5 mile trip home from the grocery store yesterday, I got 60.3 mpg!

The 'current mileage' is quite enlightening. 
Hills and wind have more effect on highway mpg than I would have thought.  It gets 60+ (the gauge only goes to 60) going down hill, unless there is a good headwind.
I'm getting better at giving it just enough 'gas' (pedal pressure) to use the battery w/o starting/using the gas engine.  That's how I got 60.3 yest.   I really wish there was a button to ONLY use the battery, even though I can only do this when no one's behind me as it takes a while to get to any speed.

clutchy

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2018, 01:33:38 PM »
nice! 

I stopped even looking once I got my EV.  I went from $150/mo in gas to $35 in electricity.