Author Topic: Just cancelled my TV service...Dish TV  (Read 5754 times)

johnmyster

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Just cancelled my TV service...Dish TV
« on: April 23, 2015, 05:00:09 PM »
I can only say nice things about DishTV from a customer service stance.  Quick to reach a real human on the phone and always quick to help.  I frequently travel for work, and they were always happy to pause my service.

A few months ago they went up on their rates.  At the same time I began to not care about TV.  I paused for an extended trip, then left it paused when I came home.  Then the weather got nice.

I was paying about $66 a month, I believe $9 was for DVR rental, I think the package was "America's Top 120."  As a valued customer, I was offered a discount of $25 a month.  Then I was given a final offer of $35 off.  $31 for the same thing that was nearly $70 last month.  Staggering.

Seems like Hulu fits my needs just fine, but if you can't live without it and haven't called in awhile for a better deal...

DirtDiva

• Bristles
Re: Just cancelled my TV service...Dish TV
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 05:59:43 AM »
We cancelled Dish, sent back our equipment, and are using Sling TV for $20/ month through our Roku.    Our bill was $80- including the sports package, because we were basketball junkies.  Fewer watching options encourages us to go live our lives instead of watching someone else live theirs.

REAL WORLD EXPAT

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2015, 01:43:07 PM »
I'm planning on cancelling my dish in a couple of weeks when our contract ends. Do they come and take the dish off the roof? I was planning on using the pole the dish is mounted to and putting an antenna on it using the cables to run the signals to the TV just a like the dish did, I assume they don't cut the cables when the remove the dish right?

johnmyster

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2015, 03:36:50 PM »
In my case, I'm going to put the receiver in a box and ship it back.  All other components stay in place.  You may have to connect some of the wiring in a different manner as I don't know how the duplexer/triplexer arrangements they use will work with antenna signals.   

When I moved in, the Dish dish and the Direct dish were already installed on the roof, as the place is a rental.  I brought my box from my last location, plugged it in, and it worked.  I called the "installation" company because they were the only ones who could "activate" and setup my new local channel arrangements.

MikeBear

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2015, 07:22:43 PM »
I'm planning on cancelling my dish in a couple of weeks when our contract ends. Do they come and take the dish off the roof? I was planning on using the pole the dish is mounted to and putting an antenna on it using the cables to run the signals to the TV just a like the dish did, I assume they don't cut the cables when the remove the dish right?

Nobody comes out. They send you a box for the receiver and remotes, and they ask that you remove and return the lnb that's mounted at the end of the dish. IF you feel it would be dangerous to go up there and remove the lnb (it comes out after unscrewing a Phillips screw), tell them that, and they'll wave you having to return that. The dish and such remains up there, unless you take it down. IF you do that, I highly recommend you leave the "foot", so your roof doesn't leak. Or, remove it and use roofing tar to seal where it was.

retireatbirth

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2015, 09:56:55 PM »
We cancelled Dish, sent back our equipment, and are using Sling TV for $20/ month through our Roku.    Our bill was $80- including the sports package, because we were basketball junkies.  Fewer watching options encourages us to go live our lives instead of watching someone else live theirs.

I heard sling had some hiccups during the final four. Did you experience any of that?

REAL WORLD EXPAT

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2015, 05:30:33 AM »

[/quote]

Nobody comes out. They send you a box for the receiver and remotes, and they ask that you remove and return the lnb that's mounted at the end of the dish. IF you feel it would be dangerous to go up there and remove the lnb (it comes out after unscrewing a Phillips screw), tell them that, and they'll wave you having to return that. The dish and such remains up there, unless you take it down. IF you do that, I highly recommend you leave the "foot", so your roof doesn't leak. Or, remove it and use roofing tar to seal where it was.
[/quote]

Great; I found a link on how to use the dish to mount my antenna on it. So I'll keep it up there and use it for that.

southern granny

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2015, 05:04:10 PM »
I called to cancel, but ended up taking the $30 a month discount and dropping the maintenance plan so saving almost $40 a month for six months.  I may still cancel in a couple of months.  If it was me I would have cancelled a long time ago, my husband is the big TV watcher.  But I guess $50 a month is better than $90.

daschtick

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2015, 04:34:36 PM »
I just canceled my Dish service also, and picked up a new Tivo DVR with Lifetime Subscription for $299!

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/reader-recommendations/cord-cutters-tivo-finally-has-a-low-cost-option!/

My only regret in canceling Dish was the loss of a DVR, but Tivo has solved that for me, finally at a reasonable cost.

3Mer

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2015, 11:19:24 AM »
I've decided to take the plunge and cancel my Dish service also.  I was keeping it mainly for my daughter (now 16) but noticed she hasn't even been watching TV, she mostly likes watchin TV series on Netflix.   So I discussed it with her and she is surprisingly in total support of it.   I am paying $110 a month, due to the need to have a 2nd box upstairs (Phone line constraint).   

I was also happy to read that you can just ship back the receiver and remotes and not have to have a guy come out to get the dish.  I'm not going to climb on the roof though to get a component off it.

My next related concern is switching internet.  We have AT&T and I want to switch to something else.  Anyone have experience with Comcast, JUST internet (no cable)?

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2015, 01:46:11 PM »
I've saved about $7k on cable since cancelling it several years ago. Plus, all the interest I made on the $7k in the market. And I don't really miss having it that much. I like spending the time learning stuff.

3Mer

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2015, 08:53:23 AM »
I've decided to take the plunge and cancel my Dish service also.  I was keeping it mainly for my daughter (now 16) but noticed she hasn't even been watching TV, she mostly likes watchin TV series on Netflix.   So I discussed it with her and she is surprisingly in total support of it.   I am paying $110 a month, due to the need to have a 2nd box upstairs (Phone line constraint).   

I was also happy to read that you can just ship back the receiver and remotes and not have to have a guy come out to get the dish.  I'm not going to climb on the roof though to get a component off it.

My next related concern is switching internet.  We have AT&T and I want to switch to something else.  Anyone have experience with Comcast, JUST internet (no cable)?

I did it!  I cancelled my service!   Had to spend a ton of time on the phone and talk to several different people, even got disconnected once.   They kept offering me better and better deals to stay.  It got down to them offering me less than half what I pay for 12 months and I still said no.   Annual savings for me will be $1,324.32     

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2015, 08:37:34 AM »
Wow, it amazes me how much folks spend on TV.  Good on y'all for cancelling!

3Mer

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2015, 07:37:23 AM »
Wow, it amazes me how much folks spend on TV.  Good on y'all for cancelling!

I know. I'm a little mad at myself.  Like I said, we don't even watch much TV and I still paid way too much per month for Dish.

3Mer

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2015, 07:39:09 AM »

I did it!  I cancelled my service!   Had to spend a ton of time on the phone and talk to several different people, even got disconnected once.   They kept offering me better and better deals to stay.  It got down to them offering me less than half what I pay for 12 months and I still said no.   Annual savings for me will be $1,324.32   

Yesterday at lunch I ran to Best Buy and picked up a $28 RCA antenna.  I connected it to the TV last evening, and we get 22+ channels even in the stormy weather we had.  Should have cancelled Dish a long time ago! 

MM_MG

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2015, 12:19:35 AM »
Nice!  I haven't had TV at home in a while.   When I travel for work and turn on the TV in the hotel room, I am reminded that I am missing nothing of any quality.  Enjoy your freedom!   

DirtDiva

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2015, 05:13:17 PM »

I heard sling had some hiccups during the final four. Did you experience any of that?

Sorry, just saw this reply.

WE didn't switch to Sling until April.  We will see how it goes this winter. :)