Author Topic: It pays to (nicely) complain  (Read 2714 times)

Trudie

• Handlebar Stache
It pays to (nicely) complain
« on: October 05, 2015, 02:33:37 PM »
Awhile back my husband and I bought $150 in bedding from Macy's (necessary for a new king size mattress).  Per company policy they shipped it to us at home for free.  It was nice to not have to schlep it on the light rail.

Got home and figured out the bed skirt (annoying invention) did not work, and so put it back in the package and prepared to return it.  I went on the Macy's website to get the free return information and it did not work.  I called the store, they gave me a number to call, and I kept getting bounced around between a call center and the store.  Finally I gave up and called store management.  They'll pay for my return, and comped me $25 in store credit for my "trouble."  And of course I can return the item.

Now while I realize that the store may have been originally doing me a favor by shipping the stuff, my nearest Macy's store is an hour from my house.  Moreover, Macy's is closing even more brick and mortar stores in the next year, which will make it even harder to do business in person.  As stores transition to online models (and realize cost savings from that) they need to work hard to keep business.  So, it pays to complain.

FIRE me

• Handlebar Stache
  • So much technology, so little talent.
Re: It pays to (nicely) complain
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 11:00:19 PM »
Two weeks ago, I got free one day shipping from Amazon by complaining politely. I was trying to buy a item that was marked as free two day shipping with Prime. But in the cart, it was not free shipping. Probably just a website glitch.

Did an online chat with a CSR, and nicely asked for free one day shipping for my trouble. Request was granted. Amazon really does have hard to beat customer service.

HAPPYINAZ

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 10:48:08 AM »
I have done the same with Amazon...the item didn't arrive on time (and I had paid extra for fast shipping)...so I complained since it was a heat sensitive item (probiotics) and I was leaving for vacation and didn't want it to sit in the mailbox for a week while I was gone.  They refunded the shipping and offered to refund whole amount of item, but I said give it one more day and it arrived OK.  So I got the item a little slow but it was free shipping.  Amazon does have great customer service!!

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 11:07:58 AM »
An hour on the phone to BT (UK telecoms provider) got me half price internet for the next year.  My router was crapping out (13 years old), and I needed a new one. They refused to provide it unless I signed up for a year (I've been paying monthly).  I politely said "why should I give you that when I'm just asking you to provide the service I'm already paying for?"  The third person I talked to understood the point and offered the deal.

Note to UK mustachians telling me to swap providers: I'm way out in the rural hinterland of a remote peninsula which is subject to weather outages: cable and superfast are a remote dream and the ease of having only one organisation to complain to when the internet goes down outweighs any possible financial advantage.