Author Topic: It's 14 degrees...  (Read 5940 times)

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
It's 14 degrees...
« on: November 11, 2014, 09:51:15 AM »
and my bike is the only one on the rack at the YMCA. Trailer and all.

We only have one car, so it was that or stay home with the toddlers all day (shudders). My getup needs work, as parts of me were cold (definitely getting a balaclava) and parts were overheated, but in general it was bearable.

forestbound

• Bristles
Re: It's 14 degrees...
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 10:30:46 AM »
Wow... you win! I couldn't do it.

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
  • Live on minimum wage, earn on maximum
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 12:32:00 PM »
So what's the wind chill?  Minus 20.   Shhh,  you might not want to mention peddling the toddlers around in that kind of weather.    Why am I not surprised you were the only bike there?   lol

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 12:41:42 PM »
There's no windchill in a bike trailer with a plastic screen.

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2014, 01:31:58 PM »
There's no windchill in a bike trailer with a plastic screen.

Hmmm? Interesting way to look at it.    True the wind isn't in direct contact with the skin but that holds true with clothes as well.  So is it that we don't need more clothes to stay warm when it is windy? 

Of course I could be wrong based on the NWS --

According to the NWS ---  "Yes. The only effect wind chill has on inanimate objects, such as car radiators and water pipes, is to more quickly cool the object to cool to the current air temperature. Object will NOT cool below the actual air temperature. For example, if the temperature outside is -5 degrees Fahrenheit and the wind chill temperature is -31 degrees Fahrenheit, then your car's radiator will not drop lower than -5 degrees F."   I might add that this also holds true to your body.  Your body wouldn't go below - 5 degrees.  So wind chill is more a measure of the speed of cooling.   

What the NWS does not state here is that heat dissipates and wind rapidly increases the rate this occurs.  Thus Sunday evening I was out and it was 60 degrees with no wind.  I felt fine in my long shirt and pants.  Had there been a 15 MPH wind I would have needed another layer due to the dissipation factor.

Same holds true for buildings.  A house takes more to heat on windy days as the outside wind facilitates the rapid loss of heat from the dwelling.   

So in this case I would say that the bike trailer would not go below 14 degrees but that the children would need to generate more heat in order to stay at 98  if it was windy or to wear more clothes to maintain their heat than if there was no wind.   

So I think wind chill is a good indicator to dress warmer!  lol

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2014, 01:43:41 PM »
The bike trailer is made of materials that block wind.  Your pants and shirt don't, which is why you feel windchill's effects more when wearing them.  The better a building is insulated, the less the windchill matters related to heating costs.  The dead air inside the bike trailer acts as an insulative bubble.  Typically a kid is seated on a raised platform, with their back against an outer wall of the trailer . . . so they're going to get the insulative effect from below, above, to the left, and to the right.  Stick a blanket behind them, and I'd wager that there's minimal drain caused by windchill after you account for solar gains (my bike trailer is basically a greenhouse with the plastic windscreen up).

This is not to say that you should put your child naked in a bike trailer.  Just that windchill is typically not much of a problem.  (I've also rarely seen a parent under-dress their kid for winter.  The norm is to go well overboard in the opposite direction.)

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2014, 03:01:08 PM »
The trailer would have protected them, but it was not windy and the children did not appear uncomfortable in any way. Except that their coats made the trailer a tight fit. Sheesh, I'm their mom. I can tell if my kids are cold!

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2014, 03:16:26 PM »

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2014, 08:46:50 AM »
The trailer would have protected them, but it was not windy and the children did not appear uncomfortable in any way. Except that their coats made the trailer a tight fit. Sheesh, I'm their mom. I can tell if my kids are cold!

I'm just joking with you all about the cold and the kids you know!   Of course you can tell if the kids are cold.   

You certainly had wind chill though due to the moving bike.  With or without wind though 14 degrees is too cold for me to pull around a bike trailer.   Burrrrrr!

crapula

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2014, 09:31:33 AM »
Jeezus.  14 degrees?!  Here I was feeling all good about biking to work this morning in 34 degree weather (that's Austin frigid).  Well done.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2014, 01:35:56 PM »
It really wasn't that bad. There's been snow on the ground all week so I've been driving around and I HATE it (husband's been taking the bus, or we drop him off). Hate muddy snow in my car, hate parallel parking, hate not getting enough exercise. If it was just me, I would get winter tires, but I have enough trouble stopping the trailer on dry ground. Hoping to be back out there next week!

Beaker

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2014, 04:04:27 PM »
Nice job! I always feel like a total badass biking in that kind of weather. I would've liked to be biking to work this whole week in that, but I'm trapped at home tube feeding a sick cat every 3 hours. Yay.

Quote from: Bob Werner
Your body wouldn't go below [ambient temperature].

Hmm, is that true?

Your skin has moisture in it, which takes heat with it as it evaporates. I believe evaporative cooling can lower your temperature below ambient, which is how people can be in 110+ degree environments without dying. Wind would obviously increase evaporation quite a bit, which I always thought was the basis of windchill. But I could certainly be wrong about any of that.

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2014, 04:14:01 PM »
NICE!
Biked it today at 27... cold enough for now!

Kriegsspiel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2014, 05:24:28 PM »
I, for one, was trudging around up and down hills today. It was totally awesome, and comprises one leg of the Kriegsspielkode:

1) Strength
2) The Ability To Withstand Cold
3) Feasting

NW Girl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2014, 12:27:07 AM »
Wow.  Good for you!  I biked in ~30d weather today and discovered that I need to overhaul my winter bike clothing.  On the uphills I was completely overheated and on the downhills I was freezing!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2014, 09:25:35 AM »
Wow.  Good for you!  I biked in ~30d weather today and discovered that I need to overhaul my winter bike clothing.  On the uphills I was completely overheated and on the downhills I was freezing!

Dress lighter, and pedal as hard on the downhills as you do on the uphills.  :P

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2014, 09:55:19 AM »
This thread really confused me until I realized you're probably talking in Fahrenheit and not Celcius.  :)