Author Topic: Instant $118 savings, not great but it made me happy  (Read 2462 times)

BCBiker

• Stubble
    • Business Casual Biker - Health, Wealth, and Mental Stealth BTYB Bicycle Commuting
Instant $118 savings, not great but it made me happy
« on: April 23, 2015, 06:09:26 PM »
I used my Hyatt Chase Credit card to pay for a business trip that was reimbursed by my work.  The conferences I attend are almost always in a larger city with a Hyatt and I get 3x points for using the card at Hyatt Hotels and restaurants.  This has worked out really great and I have already benefited from 4 free nights at the Grand Hyatt in New York which generally runs $400 per night.

Anyway, my work took a while calculating my receipts so I didn't get reimbursed right away and since I don't use this card normally for anything other than these expenses I completely missed my payment that was due on Friday. I realized this on Sunday and quickly paid the full balance.

On Monday my statement came in and not only did they charge a $30 late fee they also charged an $88 finance fee.  I was pretty upset with myself, to say the least.  What a stupid thing to spend $118 on...

But I called up the company and in literally a 10 second conversation, in which I said, "I had the payment on the wrong day on my calendar and the payments even posted before the statement came out..."  The agent said, "Oh, I see that and I am refunding the money right now. Have a nice day."  That was really worth my time!

Has anyone had a similar experience?  That is the way these sort of thing should always happen but usually they give you the run around!

Chrissy

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Instant $118 savings, not great but it made me happy
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 08:07:36 PM »
Way to go!  Yes, I've made a couple of mistakes like that.  I call and apologize, and they usually volunteer to refund the fee.

mandy_2002

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 11:04:39 AM »
This happened to me once, and a similar 10 second conversation occurred.  I then asked if I could change the due date so that all my cards are the same day (this one was randomly 10 days earlier).  Everything got moved, and it's worked well ever since.

misschedda

• Stubble
    • The Chedda
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2015, 01:02:06 PM »
Woohoo! It's always amazed me how easy it can be to get discounts or refunds just by asking politely.

kindviking

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • KindViking.com - Slay debt, build wealth & feast on life!
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2015, 07:55:45 PM »
Great work! Yeah, I've found the best approach is the "you aren't going to get it unless you ask" strategy.