Author Topic: Initiative. My next book, also May 21  (Read 5742 times)

JoshuaSpodek

• Bristles
    • Leadership, values, meaning, purpose, importance, passion
Initiative. My next book, also May 21
« on: May 19, 2019, 06:33:45 PM »
Following @Kem 's book announcement, my next book, Initiative: A Proven Method to Bring Your Passions to Life (and Work), launches Tuesday!

It's the book version of a highly-reviewed course I teach at NYU. You'll see a lot of MMM in it. This community and its support has helped make it happen. The book page describes it, along with videos of people who have done its exercises, most spending no money to bringing projects to life -- some companies, some getting themselves promotions, raises, and job offers. I'll describe it here with a few reviews:

"Whether leading or following, you need to read Initiative. I have long yearned for such a book—the most clear and persuasive on personal development and leadership I've found in 60 years of adulthood. Spodek's focus on initiative and reflection matches what I found important serving in and leading organizations from a few people to over 15,000 Marines and Sailors. He illustrates key ideas with meaningful examples and helpful practical exercises. It's lucid, succinct, easy to read, and deeply profound. It has earned a prominent place in my library."

-- Lieutenant General Paul K. Van Riper, US Marine Corps (Retired)

"The disease is helplessness and inaction, and Joshua Spodek has the cure: INITIATIVE. By taking initiative, we can connect with our passions and with people who can nurture those passions into actionable ideas that make money, create happiness, or maybe even change the world. Spodek starts off with some hard truths about today's business environment, then follows up with the Method Initiative, a series of exercises that will help you identify your interests and create those connections that lead to success."

— Daniel Pink, author of WHEN and DRIVE

"Many congratulations to Josh Spodek for Initiative! I loved his comparison of Shark Tank to the dog show. The common "wisdom" of expecting passion to automatically lead to action only works if you’re amazingly lucky. Initiative gives you a powerful toolkit to explore your interests and passions and create what makes you excited to work – how to make your own luck. No more Monday morning blues. If you work through the exercises here, you’ll stop saying “somebody should fix that” and become the one who does, to the world's benefit, and especially your own."

-- Alan Iny, Global Leader, Creativity and Scenarios, Boston Consulting Group and co-author of Thinking in New Boxes: A New Paradigm for Business Creativity

"Joshua Spodek restores the humanity, soul, and passion to the entrepreneurial spirit that built our nation. With simple steps and diverse stories, Initiative walks you through finding your passion and bringing it to life with confidence."

-- Frances Hesselbein, Presidential Medal of Freedom honoree, president and CEO of the Frances Hesselbein Leadership Institute

"If you've ever wanted to start a project but weren't sure how, Initiative is the missing piece. With effective, step-by-step exercises and engaging real-life stories, this book will show you how to become someone who can start projects you love from scratch."

-- Dorie Clark, Duke University Fuqua School of Business professor and author of Entrepreneurial You and Stand Out

Anyone interested in an excerpt, I'm happy to share the preface. Message me and I'll send it.

JoshuaSpodek

• Bristles
Re: Initiative. My next book, also May 21
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2019, 06:39:57 PM »
Actually, I'll save you a click and quote my description from the book page. You still have to go there to see the videos.

I felt trapped as I approached graduation. My advanced degrees led me to ask what I could do with them. They narrowed my options.

Wait. Isn’t narrowing options the opposite of what education is for?

Initiative will show you why your education likely did the same to you and why organizations claiming to promote entrepreneurship—like Shark Tank, media treating entrepreneurs like rock stars, and business plan competitions—discourage people taking initiative. Entrepreneurial activity is lower now than in generations.

Initiative then shows a way out: how to create in your life the success of hundreds of clients and students of a variety of ages, cultures, and interests. Its exercises work.

Initiative shares stories of people who started, often with no ideas, to develop projects they loved and others rewarded them for.

Initiative goes beyond “just” entrepreneurship. You can apply it to start for-profits, not-for-profits, community organizations, hobbies, or anything that takes initiative.

You can use it to gain responsibilities at your current job, get promoted, and get job offers.

You will unearth passions you forgot you had.

You will meet and lead valuable people in any field to see you as a peer and support you.

You will only wish you started earlier.

Again, I'm happy to share excerpts if you message me where to send them, or to answer questions here. I put my heart and soul into the book. I'm inspired by the results of my students and clients who did its exercises, unearthing passions and building projects they loved that served others enough that they rewarded them for it.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2019, 07:06:27 PM »
Congratulations!  @JoshuaSpodek

JoshuaSpodek

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2019, 07:19:57 PM »
Congratulations!  @JoshuaSpodek

Thank you!

They say writing is easy: "Just sit at the keyboard and bleed." I can't disagree.

But worth it.

Kem

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2019, 11:37:10 AM »
Most Excellent JosuhaSpokek!
Preordered
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 07:26:08 PM by Kem »

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2019, 09:05:47 AM »
Congratulations! This looks like an interesting book, Joshua. I assume it will be available as an ebook at some point? I personally don't really buy print books anymore, for space/clutter reasons.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2019, 09:38:46 AM »
Ordered it.  Sounds good!

Kem

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2019, 07:43:11 PM »
Began digging into the book today Joshua - the material is outstanding.  Thank you for sharing.

JoshuaSpodek

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2019, 09:19:00 AM »
Began digging into the book today Joshua - the material is outstanding.  Thank you for sharing.

Wow, thank you. That means a lot, because I put so much into it, hoping and intending for it to affect people.

If it's not too public or forward to ask, do you mind sharing what resonated -- the profiles, exercises, etc?

Congratulations on your book too! I read and reviewed it.

Kem

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2019, 07:57:21 PM »
I will certainly share - would like to finish it first.  I've only scratched the surface and I'm headed out into the woods through Monday.   I've put down my 30min/evening fiction block and am reading your material instead.  So, outside of the 4 day break I'll be through it soon.  (loved your review too!)

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2019, 03:23:59 PM »
50 pages in and I'm really enjoying it.    You've really nailed what's wrong with much of our education system and culture as it relates to this topic, and in a way that opens up our thinking to better possibilities.

I'm looking to the solution part now!

JoshuaSpodek

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2019, 09:32:11 PM »
50 pages in and I'm really enjoying it.    You've really nailed what's wrong with much of our education system and culture as it relates to this topic, and in a way that opens up our thinking to better possibilities.

Glad to hear it resonates. I lived under those problems with the educational system for too long, as you probably noticed from my story. Then I spent more than the past decade figuring out how to teach to be able to do, not just test well.

In the midst of all the details and work of the launch, the feedback helps. Thank you. Please let me know if you decide to do the exercises.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2019, 09:35:50 PM »

Glad to hear it resonates. I lived under those problems with the educational system for too long, as you probably noticed from my story. Then I spent more than the past decade figuring out how to teach to be able to do, not just test well.

In the midst of all the details and work of the launch, the feedback helps. Thank you. Please let me know if you decide to do the exercises.

I intend to.   I've done many of the kinds of things you mention in various projects in my life.  It will be good to have a way that can be used to teach this way of approaching life!

Kem

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2019, 09:40:41 AM »
Joshua – you have created a relatively short piece of work that is by no means short to implement.

A longer review IS coming after I’ve had time to put to the fire your methods.

Let me start by saying that I’ve considered my own ability to Initiate as far above most of my peers.  However I have grown comfortable in those abilities and thought patterns, and like most traits in life it is when one grows content that they are in most need of a shake-up. 

After my first scan 3 weeks ago I have recognized some minor patterns that led to excuses (well intended though I believed at that time).  Applied to my workout - my first trial - I have upped my deadlift and backsquat 1RM to a 4RM (yea gods am I sore).  If ego allows, I will go into further detail upon a deep dive review. 

I am also considering, strongly, accelerating our path to FI via a strong interest in RE due to the impressions this guide is heating up.

To put it bluntly, this material – like a financial literacy – should be taught to our youth at large.

Excellent share.

JoshuaSpodek

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2019, 12:43:12 PM »

To put it bluntly, this material – like a financial literacy – should be taught to our youth at large.

Excellent share.

As a professor and coach, rectifying a major problem with our educational system, which I see based in coercion, robbing students of developing social and emotional skills valuable for work and life. It's not just another subject. It's learning social and emotional skills.

Though I wrote the book for each reader to apply in his or her life, you could probably tell from the epilogue what I think they book can do at a society level. I hope it reaches the level of helping people of all ages.

Thank you for sharing your further impressions.

I look forward to hearing how accelerating your path goes. And you're welcome for the soreness ;). The material, which I live, leads me to personal bests, as I did in yesterday's intervals on my rowing machine.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2019, 04:26:44 PM »
@JoshuaSpodek ,

Thanks again for your excellent book.  I'll be gifting copies of it to people I know.

I found this in my fortune cookie today and immediately thought of you.  Hope it will come in handy with your students:

quote]
"Problems are only opportunities in work clothes."[/quote]

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2019, 07:03:44 AM »
Looking forward to reading this. The library here ordered a copy upon request, and I'll be picking it up this weekend.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2019, 11:34:15 PM »
Gave my copy away to a friend who will put it to good use.

Ordered four more copies, one for me and the rest for early Christmas presents.

JoshuaSpodek

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2019, 08:56:29 PM »
@SwordGuy, I'm glad to see it resonating. Let me know if I can help. A few people have formed study/mastermind groups to do the exercises together and it looks like I'll meet with them online for a session or two for support. If you're interested in something similar, let me know.

@Kem, I'm curious if you've put the fire more to it.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2019, 09:33:52 PM »
@SwordGuy, I'm glad to see it resonating. Let me know if I can help. A few people have formed study/mastermind groups to do the exercises together and it looks like I'll meet with them online for a session or two for support. If you're interested in something similar, let me know.

I've done a number of things like it before, though never so well structured, so I flat out know it's a framework that will produce results.

I'm just glad to have a way to teach others this kind of skill.   I tried to show by example but few people got it.   They couldn't make the connection between what I was doing **in a specific situation** and how to adapt that to **their different specific situation**.   After awhile I just quit trying.

Kem

• Stubble
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2019, 10:18:16 PM »
The method and articulated skillsets are the most consise I've stumbled across @JoshuaSpodek

In going through the applicable exercises ive
* reduced fear on pitching ideas (I now know that feeling as if my soul is strolling naked down a public path is the starting point of something great and akin to muscle soreness is to be embrased)
* heard and interjected upon financial literacy with complete strangers.   From this a local university dept head is purchasing a round lot of my first book
* realized necessary tweaks to make my second book more approachable
* coached 2 shop owners a number of near strangers, and a family member on a path towards financial foundation.  These folks ended opening up entire financial status!  Floored.   This has led to a few cases of health coaching as well!
* been invited (tentatively) to host a public roundtable on finances and health litteracy
* have begun jotting down value add ideas at an increasingly accelerated rate
* invited to Ukraine for roundtable (may not be able to swing this one with work)
* am strongly considering a financial children's blog
* have been interviewed for a James Altucher publication due out in 1-2 months
* offered a job unasked for (not switching as it would delay FI).

*busted through some physical ceilings I had apparently set on myself

*juggled schedule to make more time for my kids

* find myself waking up having to write down more ideas at night (ok, my sleep is litterally suffering)

* been referred to by spouses independently wealthy and stringy in compliment uncle that 'this guy gets it, you guys are going to be very well off'

*and all of this with work schedule having exploded to many 12 hour breakneck paced days
* and dealing with executor duties for father in law (had to pull plug)

16 hour work day today, responding from mobile.  Please forgive quality of response.   I do NOT consider this a formal review, more of a status update.

Also, I will likely be in Manhattan mid July for a few days if you'd have a desire to sync up for lunch, dinner, other.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 10:19:51 PM by Kem »

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2019, 11:41:32 AM »
I found your book on a local website last night (in Europe, didn't expect to find it there so soon) as an ebook and it finally gave me a reason to use that long due giftcard I still had lingering around. The ebook is on my phone now and after reading all the results in this thread I'm thrilled to start reading!

Kem

• Stubble
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2019, 08:05:02 AM »
While I am not 100% through the book's second dive it is time for a formal review.   I directly responded to the email function, hopefully it reaches you Josh.  It'll be fun to listen to your JA podcast - interesting individual.

Though Joshua’s Initiative is short of words, the lessons gleaned are awe-inspiring.  To put it bluntly, this material – like a full course for financial literacy – should be taught to our peoples at large.  Initiative is truly unique in that not only does it provide a foundation of knowledge through reading, but lays out a simple path of practice that strips most every excuse and hurdle that can lead to inaction or failure

Let me begin this ramble with a quip in that I’ve considered my own ability to Initiate as far above most of my peers.  However, I have grown comfortable in those abilities and thought patterns, and like most traits in life it is when one grows content that they are in most need of a shake-up.

Fortunately, I have developed many of the paths over the last decade via deliberate improvement.  It is Initiative which has opened my eyes towards improving the efficiency of these paths and which lays a foundation for anyone to recognize, begin, follow-through, and continually improve the path which leads towards the goal.  I have little doubt that armed with this knowledge in high-school I would have skipped the expensive lessons of an over-educated and under-entrepreneured youth.

Upon my first scan-through – but before formally delving into the simplified method regimes – I was able to recognize a well-intended excuse which had previously held back my physical strength training. 

Through the next 6 weeks I allowed the material to consume my time and I am certainly not done as of yet. 

Recognizing fears and excuses for what they are I am now in the process of Real Estate investing for cash-flow rentals in my local market while expanding my circle of influential friends, have accelerated the timeline of my own series of Financial Literacy books that grow with our children (The Path of Conni Chriselda & Lux Chanel), have provided pro-bono coaching to a number of shop owners and strangers to help set their feet on a path towards financial freedom, been invited to lead a round-table, and have even increased my scheduling efficiency to spend more time with my children. 

Combined with James Altucher’s recommendation of jotting down 10 ideas a day my goal has shifted from obtaining full Financial Independence to leaving a legacy for my children and community in 9 years.

Josh, I sing you songs of praise, you have done good work, and I would be honored to count you among those that I name as both mentor and friend.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 08:18:36 AM by Kem »

A Fella from Stella

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2019, 10:26:32 AM »
I'll request it from my library. Congratulations.

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2019, 11:48:30 AM »
This is an outstanding book. The exercise methodology is very clear. I did wonder how the large number of people involved in some of the exercises were determined to be optimal, as this could prove daunting to some people. And why a concise email would not prove as effective with certain personalities or niche topics. The distinction between a judgment vs advice when asking for feedback was very interesting and a bit difficult for me to grasp initially (an entire book could probably be written on that alone). Very interesting, thank you for sharing this @JoshuaSpodek!

JoshuaSpodek

• Bristles
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2019, 02:58:29 PM »
@Roots&Wings and @A Fella from Stella, thank you. I hope the book and its exercises deliver value. Let me know if I can help or answer questions.

better late

• Bristles
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2019, 09:39:15 PM »
just ordered Initiative! Sounds like just the right book for me right now.

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2019, 11:18:18 AM »
Hey @JoshuaSpodek , have you tried to interview MMM for your podcast? Seeing as that is his "secret mission" behind the website and many of us are working on various environmental initiatives.

JoshuaSpodek

• Bristles
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2019, 02:13:18 PM »
Hey @JoshuaSpodek , have you tried to interview MMM for your podcast? Seeing as that is his "secret mission" behind the website and many of us are working on various environmental initiatives.

I'd love to have him as a guest!

We emailed a few times about 5 years ago when the community was much smaller, before my podcast existed. I emailed him again about the podcast in the past year but didn't hear back.

If anyone reading this is in touch with him, please let him know there's demand to have him on the show. He'll be in great company of a Nobel Peace Prize winner, the 3-time Global Managing Director at McKinsey, an Olympic gold medalist, the person with the most viewed TED talk, plenty of bestsellers, etc and help create an environmental legacy.

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2019, 06:20:20 AM »

I'd love to have him as a guest!

We emailed a few times about 5 years ago when the community was much smaller, before my podcast existed. I emailed him again about the podcast in the past year but didn't hear back.

If anyone reading this is in touch with him, please let him know there's demand to have him on the show. He'll be in great company of a Nobel Peace Prize winner, the 3-time Global Managing Director at McKinsey, an Olympic gold medalist, the person with the most viewed TED talk, plenty of bestsellers, etc and help create an environmental legacy.

Paging @MMM , for a "secret mission" interview that many of us would love to hear! :)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!