Author Topic: Increased my wages by 25%  (Read 2770 times)

ETBen

• Bristles
    • I started a journal about single parenting and the new life towards FIRE
Increased my wages by 25%
« on: March 13, 2016, 07:21:52 PM »
cross posting from my journal. 25% wage increase in 1 year.  Actually a 10% wage increase but 25% compensation. Every bump increases your potential future salaries too.

Advocate for yourself at work Bc the $ add up. This resonates a lot for me as a woman, but applies to all. Don't suffer in silence. Don't apologize for asking. Do some research.

I got a spot bonus this week and my boss is actively working to increase my salary. I've been covering an extra role for over a year.  I have no problem asking for more compensation but I don't feel confident it will be effective. You just have to bite the bullet and do it.

Over the past 15 months, I have negotiated 2 spot bonuses, a larger yearly bonus, and 2 raises (with hopefully a third bump coming).

My first boss was not a strong advocate in this. My new boss is much better. With both, I provided very detailed quantifiable arguments as to why I deserved it, as well as appealed to one of their key values: leadership. And my demonstration of that and the proven outcomes. YMMV

AdiposeFinn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Increased my wages by 25%
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2016, 07:57:03 PM »
Congrats! And don't be afraid to interview for other jobs when your pay levels off. That might be the easiest way to get pay bump bigger than the annual 3% raise.

ETBen

• Bristles
    • I started a journal about single parenting and the new life towards FIRE
Re: Increased my wages by 25%
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2016, 08:07:57 PM »
Congrats! And don't be afraid to interview for other jobs when your pay levels off. That might be the easiest way to get pay bump bigger than the annual 3% raise.

That I definitely don't have a problem with. Looking for new jobs, yes. Using an offer as leverage, not so much. I don't negotiate with employees who come with a new offer. Even if they stay, then usually leave within a few months anyway.

As for looking for new positions, I've actually been doing so. I'm find that as I move up through the ranks, it will take longer to find positions that I find appealing. And offer the flexibility I have now.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!