Author Topic: I woke up today and realized I love my job  (Read 3486 times)

clairebonk

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Wear a mask
I woke up today and realized I love my job
« on: October 14, 2020, 08:34:10 PM »
I haven't thought about retiring in awhile (still working towards FIRE but not obsessed with it). I realized today that I'm finally at a place in my career where I enjoy my colleagues, respect my company, and have great work/life balance. I will definitely quit when we hit our number. But, I can finally enjoy working towards FIRE compared to before when I felt frustrated and empty.

I have to say the biggest investment I made was working towards a career I enjoy and finding a good fit (after many, many bad fits, so many that I gave up a few times only to be pulled back in by people who saw my potential).

I'm a software engineer and the one thing I'm passionate about is making tech more accessible and palatable to women and BIPOC. I feel the best way to do that is to be a female software engineer lead. Be visible, lift colleagues up, etc. So, now I'm not even thinking about quitting when I FIRE because when I'm FIRE I want to do the same thing as when I'm not FIRE. Do you know what I mean? That's the great thing about FIRE. It's almost unlimited options.

expatartist

• Handlebar Stache
Re: I woke up today and realized I love my job
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2020, 12:38:05 AM »
Probably one of the top 5 thread titles on MMM. Congrats! It's a great place to be.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2020, 02:27:40 AM »
That is legitimately splendid. Power to your elbow!

LPG

• Stubble
    • 1000x Faster Blog
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2020, 09:10:43 AM »
Congratulations @clairebonk! Building and/or finding a career that you genuinely enjoy and don't want to leave is an amazing accomplishment. I'd go so far as to say that it's the dream for many, and why many of us pursue FIRE in the first place. I, for one, primarily use FIRE to get to a point where I can do meaningful work with people I like, and as little political hassle as possible.

I'm wondering, do you have any lessons learned or tips that you could share for those of us still climbing that particular mountain?

LightTripper

• Handlebar Stache
  • Rural Londoner. Lazy workaholic. Confused.
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2020, 09:15:52 AM »
Well done! That is a brilliant achievement (and sounds like you are doing good for others too, by showing this is possible in your workplace, and making technology work better for more people). 

I would love to find that one day, but I think if I'm going to have any hope of finding it I'm going to have to stop and reset: the path I'm on professionally is not going to take me there.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2020, 09:30:35 AM »
This is how I feel about my job.

I love it.

I don't have interest in FIRE right now.  Just FI, and we are very very close.

2sk22

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2020, 07:03:27 AM »
Really happy for you! Being in a position to make a positive impact on the world is wonderful.

Rhinodad

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2020, 10:45:35 AM »
That's kind of how I feel about my job. We are focused on FI, not necessarily the RE. I feel by continuing to work, I not only add value on a daily basis to those I have the privilege of serving, but because of the excess capital it affords my wife and I, we are able to add value to the overall community when I'm not working.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2020, 03:28:05 PM »
That is a great position to be in!!! Congrats.

I think DW and I are to a place where we have finally made peace with our jobs.

Loving our jobs would be great. I envy that for you.

clairebonk

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Wear a mask
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2020, 09:26:03 AM »
I'm wondering, do you have any lessons learned or tips that you could share for those of us still climbing that particular mountain?

I stayed at some jobs because the benefits were good, or I liked the mission. However, these environments were management- or people-toxic. I believe it's always possible to find a healthier environment with colleagues that work in a way you respect. We're all mustachian, which means deep down we are all really, really hard workers. Find a team or colleagues that recognize what you have to contribute, and in the right environment you will flourish in both professional growth and happiness. If you're not happy where you are, look around. There is always something better, even if you have to take a payout initially. Given the right conditions, you can flourish and surpass where you were before. Think of it as a plant in really horrible soil. Sure it grows, but not well. Move it to healthy soil and initially it will look like it's dying but before you now it, it will be bigger and greener!

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2020, 09:11:02 AM »
Three or four years ago,  I'd had enough and couldn't wait to go.  Now it's a breeze going to work.  Once you've got the bank to leave anytime you wish, it's almost stress free.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2020, 09:34:13 AM »
Finding a job that you love and are good at is a great feeling, and being in a position to help others into the same position is awesome.

I would just say: I had a job I loved for 25 years but given the opportunity to FIRE aged 50 I've had no regrets.  So I'd just say: don't lose sight of your potential for FIRE in the current love of the job.

paideuma

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2020, 05:03:13 PM »
@clairebonk That's awesome! Hold onto that gig for as long as you can :) Hopefully your bosses with reward your passion and positive attitude.

Another female engineer here in a job I definitely do not feel excited about. I moved into (looking back, was pushed into) management and it has not been easy. Really considering moving back into an IC role after the new year.

Aeowulf

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Aeowulf Forums
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2020, 05:22:31 PM »
That's awesome! Really is a dream to do what you love, but still have the ability to leave on your own terms (if you ever want to)! Great place to be.

Accrual

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2020, 09:02:57 AM »
Congratulations! Like many others who have posted in this thread, I hope one day I can say the same thing.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2020, 10:00:18 AM »
Didn't see this thread until now. Reaching FI really is the thing. It opens your whole life to new possibilities. It gives you insane levels of control, which equals freedom. IMO, that's the real goal. If you're doing work you love, I see no reason to walk away from it, just because you've hit an arbitrary number. Congratulations on the revelation, and the work it took to get there.

cincystache

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2020, 07:13:11 PM »
congrats! very inspiring and I hope to be able to say the same someday.