Author Topic: I negotiated a 90+% compensation increase for a job  (Read 2407 times)

minority_finance_mo

• Pencil Stache
    • Minority Finance
I negotiated a 90+% compensation increase for a job
« on: February 04, 2015, 07:38:44 PM »
My side gig is working as a teacher for a major test prep provider (think: SAT, ACT, etc. for those of you in the US). My typical rate is 30/hr for teaching time, and 12/hr for time spent proctoring tests. The usual break-down is:

Type of Work           |Number of Hours per 10 session class           |Hourly Rate           |Total Pay
Teaching1830540
Proctoring20.512246

I got an email this morning from my manager asking if I could jump into a class starting this weekend that the original teacher backed out on. The class fit my schedule perfectly (and I was actually looking for some extra hours) - sweet! I was going to accept, but I remembered the teachings of Remit Sethi's I Will Teach You To Be Rich: always negotiate. Thus I asked my manager to give me an incentivized rate because of the late notice.

I knew they didn't have anyone else to take the class, so this made me a bit bold. When asked what rate I'd like to charge, I asked for 1.5x my teaching rate (so $45/hr to teach). I had to talk myself into asking for this much for over an hour before I actually had the balls to hit send. My manager didn't reply for a few hours, so I was basically sweating bullets. She just got back to me and offered me: $50/hr for teaching time and a raise to $32/hr for proctoring time as a thank you for accepting on such short notice!! That simple request (which I never would have done prior to watching IWT) just allowed me to nearly double my effective payout for the same job!

Type of Work           |Number of Hours per 10 session class           |Hourly Rate           |Total Pay
Teaching1850900
Proctoring20.532656
$1556

WAHOO!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 10:07:51 AM by moe_rants »

innerscorecard

• Pencil Stache
    • Inner Scorecard - Where financial independence, value investing and life meet
Re: I negotiated a 2x raise for a side-job
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2015, 07:54:50 PM »
Good job. I think people really do treat people who know how to stick up for themselves a lot better.

minority_finance_mo

• Pencil Stache
    • Minority Finance
Re: I negotiated a 2x raise for a side-job
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2015, 10:05:06 AM »
Good job. I think people really do treat people who know how to stick up for themselves a lot better.

Totally agree. From a psychology standpoint, I think sticking up for yourself makes the other party stop and reconsider that it might be burdening you. Ironically, being overly accommodating results in fewer rewards - definitely something I have struggled with.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 10:06:40 AM by moe_rants »