Author Topic: I need to get better at ripping people off.  (Read 6849 times)

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
I need to get better at ripping people off.
« on: August 17, 2017, 07:09:54 AM »
So, DH spent $15.95 on a solar filter for his camera and it came with 5 pairs of eclipse glasses.
We only need 2 of the glasses, so I listed the others on facebook- 3 pairs $20. 

They sold within seconds.

I should have listed them higher I guess.  But hey- free solar filter and eclipse glasses for DH and I.

Capt j-rod

• Bristles
Re: I need to get better at ripping people off.
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 07:15:58 AM »
The stupidity of the consumer sukkas in this world is endless. Those will be in the trash 15 minutes after the event.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2017, 07:38:40 AM »
The stupidity of the consumer sukkas in this world is endless. Those will be in the trash 15 minutes after the event.

But they are sold out everywhere, and you got to have them if you want to watch the eclipse and not a projection of it.

Capt j-rod

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 07:46:32 AM »
#12 or darker welder's mask. Not torch goggles.
Yes they are sold out, this is why department stores bring out umbrellas to sell everytime it rains. People can't plan dinner much less anything else.

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2017, 09:32:59 AM »
Why are you ripping people off? You are selling a product, they are buying it.
A market is a created when a willing seller meets a willing buyer and they agree on a price.

(It's unfortunate about the waste, but eh...)

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2017, 09:54:41 AM »
Why are you ripping people off? You are selling a product, they are buying it.
A market is a created when a willing seller meets a willing buyer and they agree on a price.

(It's unfortunate about the waste, but eh...)

But I need to gouge more.  Basically I didn't rip them off, I just sold a bit higher than what I paid.  Based on the number of responses, I probably could have doubled that price.

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2017, 02:32:17 PM »
But I need to gouge more.

Gotcha now thanks :)

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2017, 03:09:17 PM »
I should have capitalized on this people all over Facebook book are begging for them. I should have bought 200 and sold them for 10 each. Easy money.

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2017, 03:26:07 PM »
I should have capitalized on this people all over Facebook book are begging for them. I should have bought 200 and sold them for 10 each. Easy money.

200? My buddy bought 3000 for resell! Not sure how much profit he made, but I would imagine plenty $$$. Another buddy was looking at $12 per pair somewhere online this morning.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2017, 03:54:23 PM »
Next eclipse is 8 years away. Now I know.

martyconlonontherun

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2017, 06:49:06 AM »
Speaking of sukkas.... Any alternatives for idiots like me who are waiting til the last minute?

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2017, 07:11:06 AM »
Speaking of sukkas.... Any alternatives for idiots like me who are waiting til the last minute?

Pinhole camera to watch a projection?

DoingMe

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2017, 08:57:35 AM »

Try your local library or museum.  Several here in Massachusetts will be handing them out for free as part of their Eclipse "program."

carozy

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2017, 09:45:08 AM »
My boss bought us some, which I thought was very nice and generous of her.  Also, I heard Kaiser was giving them away, but they might be out by now.  OP, at least you got them free :)

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2017, 10:04:28 AM »
ARBITRAGE!!!

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2017, 10:53:52 AM »

Try your local library or museum.  Several here in Massachusetts will be handing them out for free as part of their Eclipse "program."

Our libraries here all have signs that they are out :( 

stein79

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2017, 12:04:59 PM »
My boss is flying to his house in Jackson, WY to get a better view of it.  He bought several pairs on Amazon.
However, this morning - Amazon refunded his money and warned that they could not verify if the glasses would be safe to view the eclipse directly. 

bobechs

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2017, 12:39:49 PM »
About a week ago I went to Amazon and ordered a sheet of approved solar film, thought I better spring for rapid shipping just in case...

Amazon accepted the order and when I went to see the shipping details it showed that the paid-for overnight shipping was going to take twelve days and delivery was expected the day after the eclipse.

Cancelled the order most stat.  Also recalibrated what overnight delivery means and what it is worth.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2017, 12:41:41 PM »

Yes, go to any place where people will be gathering to watch.  Wait 2 minutes into the start of the eclipse.  Groups that are together will soon realize that it's incredibly boring (and neck-ache inducing) to stare up into the sky for more than a few seconds at a time.  In a group of 5, at least 2 of them will offer to give you their glasses.  The other three will share among themselves. 

Don't sweat it...people will be throwing away their glasses before it's even over.  There will be plenty as long as you're near other people. 

p.s.  I got 12 free pairs from my museum last weekend and now there are major lines and "sold out" signs.  I fully intend to give away most of mine during the eclipse to anyone who seems desperate (and nice)

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
  • Location: A poor and backward Southern state known as minimum wage country
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2017, 02:00:39 PM »
I recommend not trusting your eyesight to a piece of film manufactured by unaccountable people. Just looking around will be more interesting than seeing what you could already see on youtube.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2017, 02:07:13 PM »
Someone on our "nextdoor" website has noticed all the clamoring for glasses.  He has 45 pairs due on Saturday and is selling them for $10 each.  I'm not that cutthroat.

I ordered ours from a reputable source quite a while ago, and they work very well.  I never realized the sun was so small during the day.  Like the moon, it appears much smaller up high than at sunrise/sunset, but I just never thought of that.  I'm starting to think the eclipse will be underwhelming. 

cantgrowone

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2017, 02:21:21 PM »
I was in my local hardware store a month ago and saw a big display of glasses. Me not paying attention to the news I thought they were left over from 4th of July.

You can be like this guy on eBay and sell 2 pairs of glasses for $935.00. That auction has sold 38 times, nearly $38k.

Mark your calendars to buy all the glasses for April 8, 2024, http://earthsky.org/?p=1905

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2017, 04:32:07 PM »
Someone on our "nextdoor" website has noticed all the clamoring for glasses.  He has 45 pairs due on Saturday and is selling them for $10 each.  I'm not that cutthroat.

I ordered ours from a reputable source quite a while ago, and they work very well.  I never realized the sun was so small during the day.  Like the moon, it appears much smaller up high than at sunrise/sunset, but I just never thought of that.  I'm starting to think the eclipse will be underwhelming.

I can't imagine an eclipse in totality being underwhelming. Seeing the corona will be amazing.

We only get 92%, so it will be interesting, but mostly a good excuse to leave work for an hour.

However, it's supposed to rain. So likely we won't see anything.

Lunar eclipse I find underwhelming. The moon disappears on a regular basis.

Polaria

• Stubble
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2017, 06:10:38 AM »
This reminds me the story of Thales of Miletus:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thales_of_Miletus#Business

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2017, 04:25:15 PM »
I was eating at a Mexican restaurant waiting for totality, the wait staff at the restaurant were
trying to get a look without glasses. I hope one guy didn't get eye damage, I saw him keep trying to look! I had two extra pair of eclipse glasses, I gave them to one of the staff, they traded them back and forth so they all got to see. The staffer offered me $10, I got them free at Mamoth Cave Park,
so I just gave them away. When I got them, my daighter quized me, "why do you need more glasses"
 I said, I don't, but somebody will, and they did.