Author Topic: I made my own treadmill desk.  (Read 2073 times)

maryofdoom

• Stubble
  • Jeopardy! loser since 2010
I made my own treadmill desk.
« on: April 04, 2013, 01:46:30 PM »
Of course, I can't use it as much as I would like, due to stupid Marissa Mayer and her stupid precedent of not allowing Yahoo! employees to work from home, which caused my organization to re-evaluate their own working-from-home policy, but still.

I replaced my desk in my home office with a treadmill desk. It was way easier than I thought it would be, but it had some pitfalls, which sucked. For one, it was hard to get it up the stairs (my office is on the second floor of our house). My husband had to call over his burly best friend to help out.

Many treadmill desk advocates say that you need a fancy desk setup. This is completely untrue. I use a Horizon T-101 treadmill and a chunk of wood that was probably a door to something from the IKEA scratch 'n' dent area. People who are good at woodworking can make their own desk platform, no problem. Honestly, if you're just getting started with putting one together, you don't need something super fancy. You can always add on to it later.

Since I'm not running on the treadmill, I wasn't too worried about putting the treadmill upstairs. I found that walking 1 mph is a good pace to start. It does take some adjusting to get used to typing, but it's only like half an hour. At the end of my first session, I was in the ZONE.

I wish I was working on my treadmill desk right now. Stupid office.

A440

• Stubble
Re: I made my own treadmill desk.
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 08:42:40 PM »
Congratulations on your new desk!

My husband has a treadmill desk as well.  Probably less badass than yours.  He got a used ikea desk (jerker?) that is adjustable and set it up over a treadmill.  Unfortunately it has fallen out of use, due to baby and orthopedic misadventure.  But he enjoyed it a lot, and the benefits from moving all day instead of being sedentary are substantial.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!