Author Topic: I just saved 15% on my car insurance. Not by switching to Geico...  (Read 3412 times)

welliamwallace

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Trying to squeeze out those whiskers
My car is insured through State Farm. I have no collision insurance. However, I noticed my comprehensive coverage (theft, vandalism, weather, etc) only had a $250 deductible. I increased that to $1000. I also noticed that I only drove 7,200 miles last year. State Farm has a low mileage discount, and I just had to email pictures of two service receipts (about a year apart) with odometer readings as evidence.

My new-found bicycling habit is partly what made this possible!

hexdexorex

• Stubble
Re: I just saved 15% on my car insurance. Not by switching to Geico...
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 09:48:56 AM »
Have you considered switching to Geico? Def the lowest in my area. ;)

Donovan

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 10:12:12 AM »
Have you considered switching to Geico? Def the lowest in my area. ;)

Same here. I was re-evaluating insurance recently and dropped >20% switching to the British gecko.  Progressive was close, but just a tad higher. I'm now insuring 2 cars for $30/month, which is actually $5 less than just one of those cars was at SF.  Brief customer service inquiries have been a breeze as well, especially compared to waiting for my "dedicated" SF rep to get back to me (sometimes > 2 days on simple changes/inquiries).

Denarius

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 04:05:51 PM »
I just saved 58% switching carriers, same coverage limits! it pays to shop around every few years.

MicroRN

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 04:31:34 PM »
Good work!  We can't drop any coverage on my husband's car since it still has a loan, but my car is paid off and only worth about $5K.  I dropped everything except liability, and increased our deductibles all around, including on my husband's car.