Author Topic: I just had a thought...and saved almost $2k  (Read 5616 times)

JLee

• Walrus Stache
I just had a thought...and saved almost $2k
« on: May 22, 2015, 10:34:24 AM »
I got the OK from my employer to work remotely over the summer, so I'm 'moving' from Phoenix to Calgary for 3-4 months (my gf is there).  I was planning on driving up, bringing stuff I needed for work, tools to work on her car and my truck if need be, etc.

Then I was planning my route and realized it's 1550 miles each way. I do not have a Mustachian vehicle, so the IRS rate at ~57 cents a mile is likely not too terribly far off regarding depreciation, fuel, wear, etc.  Add a couple hotel nights (I'd try to do it in two days each way) and I'm right around $2k.

All I need is my laptop/docking station, keyboard/mouse, monitor, and clothes. I pack light. Then I checked my Chase account (thank you, Sapphire Preferred sign-on bonus) and saw I had $695 in travel credit.  A one way flight was $158.xx and I can check a bag (in which I can fit my external monitor) for 25 bucks. Not to mention a 3hr flight instead of a 24hr drive (each way)   SOLD!

I love cars and could hardly imagine living without one, but I'm trying to change my mindset. I remembered that my SO takes public transit to work and rarely uses her car, and the chances we'd both want to drive somewhere separately are infinitesimally small so I don't need a vehicle there at all.  My trip went from ~$2k travel cost to ~$50 (checked bag once each way).

:D

Another Reader

• Walrus Stache
Re: I just had a thought...and saved almost $2k
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 10:46:24 AM »
Think how much you are going to save on those SRP bills while you are gone!  Turning the A/C off altogether can cause problems for dual pane patio doors - saw a lot of shattered patio doors during the foreclosure times.  Otherwise, you might be OK to shut it off.

Be sure to have someone check the pool at least once a week - don't want an equipment leak to lose so much water from the pool that your new variable speed pool pump burns out.  I have a pool service for a vacant property and they caught a bad leak at the O-rings.  Car batteries tend to die in the heat as well.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 11:10:51 AM »
Think how much you are going to save on those SRP bills while you are gone!  Turning the A/C off altogether can cause problems for dual pane patio doors - saw a lot of shattered patio doors during the foreclosure times.  Otherwise, you might be OK to shut it off.

Be sure to have someone check the pool at least once a week - don't want an equipment leak to lose so much water from the pool that your new variable speed pool pump burns out.  I have a pool service for a vacant property and they caught a bad leak at the O-rings.  Car batteries tend to die in the heat as well.

My roommates would be angry if I shut the AC off. :P  I might pull the battery and leave it on a tender in the garage.

I should get a pool service so I don't have to rely on roommates to keep the pool from becoming a swamp..do you have any recommendations?

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2015, 08:55:08 AM »
I got the OK from my employer to work remotely over the summer, so I'm 'moving' from Phoenix to Calgary for 3-4 months (my gf is there).  I was planning on driving up, bringing stuff I needed for work, tools to work on her car and my truck if need be, etc.

Then I was planning my route and realized it's 1550 miles each way. I do not have a Mustachian vehicle, so the IRS rate at ~57 cents a mile is likely not too terribly far off regarding depreciation, fuel, wear, etc.  Add a couple hotel nights (I'd try to do it in two days each way) and I'm right around $2k.

All I need is my laptop/docking station, keyboard/mouse, monitor, and clothes. I pack light. Then I checked my Chase account (thank you, Sapphire Preferred sign-on bonus) and saw I had $695 in travel credit.  A one way flight was $158.xx and I can check a bag (in which I can fit my external monitor) for 25 bucks. Not to mention a 3hr flight instead of a 24hr drive (each way)   SOLD!

I love cars and could hardly imagine living without one, but I'm trying to change my mindset. I remembered that my SO takes public transit to work and rarely uses her car, and the chances we'd both want to drive somewhere separately are infinitesimally small so I don't need a vehicle there at all.  My trip went from ~$2k travel cost to ~$50 (checked bag once each way).

Any trip over 8 hours alone and I check for flights as it is not only less time, but usually cheaper.  If I have a passenger I drive (two tickets usually exceed driving costs).

J Lee - Great way to think about it!

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2015, 08:57:14 AM »

My roommates would be angry if I shut the AC off. :P  I might pull the battery and leave it on a tender in the garage.

I should get a pool service so I don't have to rely on roommates to keep the pool from becoming a swamp..do you have any recommendations?

I drive my van maybe once every two weeks, so I put it on a battery tender.  However, I just plug it into the auxiliary outlet (won't work that way if you have a Toyota since it isn't connected unless the key is on).

Cougar

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2015, 09:23:46 AM »

very jealous !

I can work remotely and have often, but they like to see people in the office.

DangleStash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2015, 02:19:30 PM »
I would suggest putting the vehicle on a tender, but then also having your roommate start it once a month or so for a few mins just to keep everything nice and lubricated internally.