Author Topic: I just got my first side hustle!  (Read 9461 times)

ace1224

• Bristles
I just got my first side hustle!
« on: June 25, 2013, 05:36:00 AM »
I am now getting paid to do something that I already do.  My new second career is dog walker.  I take my German Shepherd out and while I was walking him I was stopped and asked would I consider walking this lady's lab 3 times a week with my dog for an hour and she'd pay me 10 bucks an hour. 
I am now getting 30 dollars a week to keep doing something I was already doing, plus adding a super sweety doggy into the mix! How awesome is that?  And obviously since I am now a member of the mustache club instead of calling that fun money it is going into the savings account. 
I wonder if this means new tennis shoes are tax deductible now.....lol

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
Re: I just got my first side hustle!
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 05:47:43 AM »
Well done.

cerberusss

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 06:34:33 AM »
Nice work! No upfront investment necessary, no paperwork, just some good cold cash in the pocket!

EK

• Pencil Stache
    • Happily Enough
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 07:19:58 AM »

I wonder if this means new tennis shoes are tax deductible now.....lol

Kidding aside, my husband is a dog walker and shoes are a legit tax deductible expense!!

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2013, 10:16:10 AM »
Nice!  Depending where you live, dog walkers can do really well for themselves but it's particularly in those areas where it can be tough to get into.  So  now you have a client to use as a referral if you ever want to do it more!  For example if you have a period of unemployment or want something to do once you're FI.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2013, 10:18:57 AM »
Money to do what you'd do anyways for free?

Very nice!
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2013, 10:46:18 AM »
Awesome job! That sounds great.
I've thought about starting a little dog-walking on the side myself, since I already do it and enjoy it. I didn't want to commit to advertising and rounding up customers, but it sounds like you even worked around that!

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2013, 10:49:59 AM »
extra bonus:  adding another dog is good socialization for your own.  It's like you're taking your dog to one of those yuppie doggie day care places and someone is paying you to do it.

ace1224

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2013, 11:23:50 AM »
extra bonus:  adding another dog is good socialization for your own.  It's like you're taking your dog to one of those yuppie doggie day care places and someone is paying you to do it.

haha awesome

FrugalAussie

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2013, 07:00:49 PM »
My daughter had a small dog walking, holiday pet sitting business when she was a teenager.  We made up cute flyers and put them in neighbors mailboxes near to our house.  It was a great little earner especially during the long summer holidays and a good education for her about customer service etc.

Because it's a side hustle you can be particular about clients you take on, keeping the experience fun yet profitable.  Well done!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!