Author Topic: I just bought 2 days per year of free life, indefinitely. 363 to go.  (Read 249511 times)

intotherealworld

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Since I'm around 7+ years away from my ideal FIRE I've realised it can be more motivating to look at what your day to day actions are worth.

My current cost of living is 25000 per year.

That means my cost per day is $68

I just invested $2000.

Assuming 7% returns over the long term (10+ years), without even taking into account compounding, the return on $2000 will be around $140 per year.

That's two days of financial independence, every year, for the rest of my life.

For every $1000 I save I have instantly bought 1 day of financial independence, every year, forever

EDIT: Check out the awesome calculator the user CCCA has made to calculate this!

https://engaging-data.com/freedom-calculator/

« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 01:31:47 AM by intotherealworld »

happy

• Walrus Stache
Re: I just bought 2 days per year of free life, indefinitely. 363 to go.
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 01:51:09 AM »
Nice idea!  Running off to work out my own figures….

intotherealworld

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 02:46:49 AM »
Nice idea!  Running off to work out my own figures….

It gets even more exciting if you actually decide to take into account compounding!

To buy 1 day of financial freedom each year, forever, starting 7 years from now costs me $600 today.

($600 compounded at 7% annually for 7 years = roughly $1000)

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 04:27:11 AM »
I'm amazed that even after all this time, people still come up with new ways to measure something like this.

I like this one. So easy to understand.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 05:46:50 AM »
I like this perspective, too!

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2016, 05:52:56 AM »
Oh this is so cool to think about in terms of days!

I am going to disagree with taking into account compounding for one reason. We can't predict returns in such a short time period. Sure the market returns 7-8% average over the long haul but periods between a half and two decades are anyone's guess as far as what the market will do.

That being said our FIRE spending if we pulled the plug today would be ~$36,500 for two people. Which makes the math easy. We need $100 per day, and with our current 'stache of $150k throws off $6,000/year @ 4% WR which means we have 60 days of our year =)

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2016, 09:18:03 AM »
I'm also loving this way of looking at it! Nice work OP!!

soupcxan

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2016, 10:09:05 AM »
Not to be a downer but 4% is a much more realistic assumption to use than 7%, so $1000 invested only gets you $40/year.

ikonomore

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2016, 01:20:24 PM »
So OP, you've saved $2,000 in sum total and except to retire in 7 years?
Just curious on how you plan to go from saving nothing almost ($2k), to $365k.

I wish you well.

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2016, 01:39:32 PM »
I'll throw in my 2 cents on percentages.
Historically the stock market has returned just over 10%/year, after inflation that's about 6.5%. The trinity study has shown us that 4% is a safe withdrawal rate for early retirement. Many economists including Wade Pfau believe it will be slightly lower this century. The Shiller P/E10 has historically done a good job at predicting real returns over a decade or more. On 12/1/15 there was a Shiller CAPE ratio of 25.6, making the recommended withdrawal rate for those retiring right now about 3.9%.

Jojje

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2016, 02:04:45 PM »
I like the thinking!

Ebrat

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2016, 03:56:22 PM »

I wish you well.

I think the $2,000 was the most recent investment.

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2016, 04:09:07 PM »
$2206 will give me one day.  What an idea.  :)

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2016, 04:10:31 PM »

I wish you well.
I reckon he needs $625,000, not $365,000($25,000 x 25 = $625,000), and the plan would probably to save around $60,000/year(assuming he is currently at $2,000) or so which is possible with a very high paying job.

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2016, 04:15:22 PM »
Since I'm around 7+ years away from my ideal FIRE I've realised it can be more motivating to look at what your day to day actions are worth.

My current cost of living is 25000 per year.

That means my cost per day is $68

I just invested $2000.

Assuming 7% returns over the long term (10+ years), without even taking into account compounding, the return on $2000 will be around $140 per year.

That's two days of financial independence, every year, for the rest of my life.

For every $1000 I save I have instantly bought 1 day of financial independence, every year, forever
If you want a 4% SWR and $25,000/year I think it will cost $1,700 per day rather than $1,000 per day

jorjor

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2016, 05:08:57 PM »
363 to go? What about leap years? ;)

misterhorsey

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2016, 03:05:44 PM »
I love the idea of calculating a daily cost of living.  So simple and so relatable!

Genius!

(I haven't bothered to do a calculation of how many days I've bought of freedom with an investment, but I've started calculating my expenses per month, and then created a rolling 3 month and 12 month average to account for lumpiness.  Creating a daily cost based on these averages gives you very tangible immediate feedback).

Thanks!

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2016, 03:16:10 PM »
Interesting way to think about it. 

I always considered my savings as giving myself an annual raise. Save $1000, gave myself a $40 raise.  Save $10,000, a $400 raise.  I've probably always beat my annual (non-promotional) raises in a year.

Nickels Dimes Quarters

• Stubble
    • Nickels, Dimes & Quarters ~ It All Adds Up
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2016, 07:16:03 AM »
I do love the simplicity of this. The method I've been using is monthly income replacement, but thinking about a daily amount to invest in order to buy a day is also good. Anything that gets us motivated to save and invest is a worthwhile project.

Because I work for a government agency, there really aren't raises like the ones you hear about in private industry. The only way for me to earn more is to spend less and invest all that I can. Eventually, I will add in some side hustles to boost my numbers.

NDQ

snshijuptr

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2016, 10:37:13 AM »
I do this every New Year based on my current net worth and my spending from the previous year. Here is the formula from my spreadsheet

=DATE(A2+1,1,1)+(D2/25)/(B2/365)
A2 = last year (eg 2015)
B2 = Spending from last year
D2 = Current Investments

My current day is January 25.

ETBen

• Bristles
    • I started a journal about single parenting and the new life towards FIRE
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2016, 07:23:06 PM »
I love this and am now running off to paper and calculator

Vertical Mode

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2016, 08:02:40 PM »
This is awesome! I've been brainstorming ways to break down the larger numbers into smaller, bite-sized goals, and this may just do the trick. Fun to think of new frames-of-reference for the old FIRE calcs!

I've already sorta run the numbers for (current stash)(.04) = (annual income, disregarding subsidies or expected SS for the sake of simple calculations)

I'm also not sure I will want to ultimately use a 4% WR on the back end; I think of it as a baseline but psychologically I think I'd be much happier with 3%. We will see when I'm further along.

OutOfTheAbyss

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2016, 04:07:27 AM »
This is so much more motivating than the way I was doing it. Thanks!

intotherealworld

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2016, 03:25:07 PM »
I'm trying to figure out how even smaller amounts can be thought about in a motivating way.

For example, saving $100 = $4 return every year (conservatively)

That's enough to buy a simple breakfast for a week.

So rather than saving $100, it's buying 1 week of breakfast every year, forever, for $100.

MVal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2016, 03:18:05 PM »
I need to figure this out for my rate. This will be a more motivating method for me this year, I think, since I'm not focused on growing my liquid savings and am directing most of my savings energy on pre-tax accounts right now, which have been dragging their feet so far this year. At the moment, I'm living on about $16,000/year, so with my current stash at about $50K, I'll have to evaluate where I fall currently on days "paid."

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2016, 06:37:01 AM »
I do this every New Year based on my current net worth and my spending from the previous year. Here is the formula from my spreadsheet

A2 = last year (eg 2015)
D2 = Current Investments

I can't figure out how to make this formula work.  What exactly are you putting in for A2?

I just ended up making a formula to calculate how many days a 4% withdrawal rate buys me.  Right now I am at 42 days.

Two9A

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • On the long road to zero net worth
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2016, 07:26:51 AM »
This is a great way of looking at things. I've just added two items to my spreadsheet: "current amount per day I could withdraw", and "number of days bought". I can already sustain $4.03/day forever (barebones FI is more like $35); my number of days bought is 43.

Can't wait for it to climb further.

Jupiter

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2016, 06:19:09 PM »
I'll be honest I do like this way of thinking about financial freedom but if it were me (which is isn't) I would play it ultra safe and assume 1% returns. I'd also place my living costs as $100 per day Australian dollars. So for ME (not anyone else on this thread) I would think every $10,000 I save gives me 1 day of financial freedom per year.

What's the reason I have returns so low? Well, what if you suddenly realise you have cancer or need a major operation... You need to make a major repair on your property ect... Plus, what ever extra you make can go towards compounding and help you keep above inflation.

Plus if it was ME I wouldn't start counting excess/invested cash using this method until I have payed off and own a small property making living costs lower.

That's just me though :)

FIRE me

• Handlebar Stache
  • So much technology, so little talent.
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2016, 08:10:39 PM »

Just when I thought I had heard it all, this forum makes a new and interesting concept. Well done, OP.

My number, counted at 4%, is $904 per annual day of freedom (not counting my SS).

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2016, 09:35:45 PM »
I'll be honest I do like this way of thinking about financial freedom but if it were me (which is isn't) I would play it ultra safe and assume 1% returns. I'd also place my living costs as $100 per day Australian dollars. So for ME (not anyone else on this thread) I would think every $10,000 I save gives me 1 day of financial freedom per year.

Are you saying you are planning on using a 1% withdrawal rate?

Jupiter

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2016, 10:45:49 PM »

Are you saying you are planning on using a 1% withdrawal rate?

To be honest, yes. Mainly for the purpose of playing it ultra safe AND I want my money to continuously grow at a decent rate after I retire so I can continue to pick up an increasing amount of investment properties and have my lifestyle improve as well over time. For me it's not simply about financial freedom where I retire with 1 million, earn 40K per year in returns then spend it each year to keep my million. I want that million to be 2 million in 10 years, then 4, 8 ect (not exactly, as long as it is growing at a decent rate though...)

My goal is to retire with my own place paid off and two investment properties paid off. Live off the rent while saving the majority towards the next property I want to live in. Then rent out the old one and move to the next. It's a way to travel from city to city and invest at the same time. My plan is to retire in 9 years with a networth of at least 1 million. Right now it is 179K (self made) and I'm 21 years old. I'm planning to move at least every 5 years. I've got my eyes on Yamba right now or Whyalla if I'm THAT desperate. I'm also the type of person who hate vacancies so I'm likely to give good deals to make sure things stay filled, thus why 1% is playing it safe for me.

Anyway, too far in the future to talk about right now for me. I've still gotta finish paying off my current place before I even think about getting my first investment property.

Edit: Although I said I would fine living on $100 per day comfortably (requiring 3.65 million on 1% withdraw rate) I would live on less than that at age 30 as I'd prefer to be financially free than "living comfortably" while still working.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 04:56:42 AM by Jupiter »

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2016, 03:21:45 AM »

A2 = last year (eg 2015)
D2 = Current Investments

Hmmmm, 25-June. Not bad, not bad.

I can't figure out how to make this formula work.  What exactly are you putting in for A2?

The excel format is DATE(year, month, day). So snshijuptr is saying DATE(2015+1,1,1), which is 2016 Jan 1st. It's the same as saying DATE(2016,1,1), but I assume there's some multi-year formula magic happening.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2016, 09:48:35 AM »
This is a great concept!  Love it.

I agree with all those posting to use the 4% SWR, rather than a 7% compounded return.

In essence, you take your annual expenses, multiply by 25 (4% SWR) to get stache amount, then divide by 365, to get the amount needed to be saved to cover one day's expenses.

I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

MVal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2016, 03:43:07 PM »

I agree with all those posting to use the 4% SWR, rather than a 7% compounded return.

In essence, you take your annual expenses, multiply by 25 (4% SWR) to get stache amount, then divide by 365, to get the amount needed to be saved to cover one day's expenses.

Thanks for summarizing the formula, that just helped me a lot. Looks like every time I save about $1100, I buy myself another day of freedom per year forever.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2016, 03:48:38 PM »

Thanks for summarizing the formula, that just helped me a lot. Looks like every time I save about $1100, I buy myself another day of freedom per year forever.

No problem.  I tried to clean it up further, but 25/365 is irrational, so that seemed close enough.  For the less math inclined, or lazy, having a straightforward formula is great.  ;)

Your 16k annual spending is badass!
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2016, 03:55:42 PM »

A2 = last year (eg 2015)
D2 = Current Investments

Hmmmm, 25-June. Not bad, not bad.

The excel format is DATE(year, month, day). So snshijuptr is saying DATE(2015+1,1,1), which is 2016 Jan 1st. It's the same as saying DATE(2016,1,1), but I assume there's some multi-year formula magic happening.
No magic - you've got the put last year into A2 part.  Then a date in excel is just an integer - specifically it is the number of days since the beginning of time (as defined by excel - the earliest date excel will recognize - probably 01-01-0001).  So first part of the formula is just setting the start date of the computation to January 1 of this year.  Then you add the number of days you have saved up per arebelspy's instructions.  This gives you the "crap, I have to start working for the rest of the year" date for the current year.

Personally would have done that part as (Current Investments ) / ((Current Expenses X 25) / 365), but that is equivalent to (Current Investments / 25) / (Current Expenses / 365).

MVal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2016, 02:13:24 PM »

No problem.  I tried to clean it up further, but 25/365 is irrational, so that seemed close enough.  For the less math inclined, or lazy, having a straightforward formula is great.  ;)

Your 16k annual spending is badass!

Ha, I might be both! Yeah, having a roommate and no bills makes it much easier. Even if my expenses go up in the future due to costlier housing, I could just supplement with some kind of part-time work. $16K should cover the bulk of my future yearly expenses as far as I can see, though.

Sonos

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2016, 09:44:42 AM »
Love this way of thinking as well. We want a $1M stache, which works out to $2700 (roughly) to buy one "forever day." We have 83 forever days banked, which is 23% of a forever year :)

MVal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2016, 10:11:44 AM »
I need to figure this out for my rate. This will be a more motivating method for me this year, I think, since I'm not focused on growing my liquid savings and am directing most of my savings energy on pre-tax accounts right now, which have been dragging their feet so far this year. At the moment, I'm living on about $16,000/year, so with my current stash at about $50K, I'll have to evaluate where I fall currently on days "paid."

So I've discovered every $1100 invested buys me 1 "forever-day." That means I've got about 45 days covered so far. By what I anticipate to save this year, I should have about 72 days total paid for at the end of 2016...that'll be close to being 20% retired for me!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 11:21:40 AM by MVal »

simpleFIblog

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Financial Independence Simplified
    • Simplified Finance
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2016, 01:11:32 PM »
Love this idea! Going to start calculating how many days I'm buying with every transfer to my investment account.

CorpRaider

• Bristles
    • The Corpraider Blog
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2016, 01:45:26 PM »
Awesome post OP.

gliderpilot567

• Stubble
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2016, 04:44:50 PM »
This is cool! I figured out something similar, which I distilled down to (to make easy math): Every $100 invested will bring you a penny a day, forever. (3.65% WR). Really puts the opportunity cost into perspective: Do I really want to blow $500 on that TV? Or would I rather have a nickel a day for the rest of my life?

Or put even another way: A perpetual $1 annuity costs only $25. After you buy 25 of these annuities, they will automatically purchase another one of themselves every year (compounding). Rinse repeat.

It's so much fun to play around with the numbers in this way, and motivates me to make even small increases in saving/investing wherever I can!

kiwichick

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2016, 05:12:03 PM »
My "forever day" cost is $1770. Coincidentally, I just invested this much this morning, so I've bought myself another day of freedom. I really like this idea.

flan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2016, 08:40:20 PM »
I just love this! Looks like we have 2 months out of the year cures, forever. This is so much more tangible to imagine! I think I will combine this idea with the art idea of shading in 365 leaves of a savings tree to represent our FIRE goal :)

englyn

• Bristles
« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2016, 09:38:29 PM »
Nice.
I just bought 3.7 forever days worth of shares.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2016, 10:54:31 PM »
Or put even another way: A perpetual $1 annuity costs only $25. After you buy 25 of these annuities, they will automatically purchase another one of themselves every year (compounding). Rinse repeat.

This is another fun one.  Well said.

faramund

• Bristles
« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2016, 02:57:39 AM »
This has made it into my happiness spreadsheet, its now October 26 6:17am, and keeps increasing each day...

fallstoclimb

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2016, 06:59:58 AM »
I love this idea.

For those of you calculating the cost of your "forever days" -- do you use your current (actual) spending, or your planned retirement spending? 

I'm far enough away from FI that our retirement budget is guesstimate, but I'm into this idea and would like to calculate our "forever days." I do expect some of our costs to come down in FI.  For one, we will probably take a break from contributing to charity, or scale it back dramatically.  (However, healthcare costs will increase.)

Our FI plans are difficult to put a real number on, in general, as I expect we will phase out of the workforce via part time work -- and we are promised fairly substantial pensions from our jobs even with early retirement, but when calculating our FI number and "forever days" I tend to ignore those entirely.

I suppose this is the sort of thing where even as a guesstimate its a pretty effective motivator --- I love the idea of combining it with the wall chart!  I may be breaking out some markers tonight...

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2016, 07:37:42 AM »
I love this idea.

For those of you calculating the cost of your "forever days" -- do you use your current (actual) spending, or your planned retirement spending? 

I would think the latter.  Those are the days you're purchasing, and the much more relevant number.

TheOldestYoungMan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2016, 08:14:49 AM »

I wish you well.

I think the $2,000 was the most recent investment.

Even if it wasn't, gotta start somewhere.  A journey of a thousand miles is going to require lunch? or something like that?  I should've eaten breakfast...