Author Topic: I just bought 2 days per year of free life, indefinitely. 363 to go.  (Read 249502 times)

Roothy

• Stubble
Re: I just bought 2 days per year of free life, indefinitely. 363 to go.
« Reply #150 on: July 21, 2017, 05:24:59 PM »
There's an app for this! https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/share-your-badassity/'pretirement'-app-instantly-converts-spending-to-fi-date-delta/

Cool app, but it isn't the same.  This thread is about how many days of a theoretical year you have "endowed."  In other words, I've endowed 272 days of 365--Sept. 29.  I have 93 days left to endow, then I'll have endowed a full year--meaning I can now retire.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 09:35:59 AM by Roothy »

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #151 on: July 24, 2017, 02:45:14 PM »
Note I said I "formally update" only once a month, and only that particular measure.  But I LOOK at it... umm... a lot.  I'm too embarrassed to admit how often I *look*.  :)
Love this thread and especially this response. Before I was FIRE, I used to tally my accounts once a month and stick it on the wall in my (home) office. I looked at it all the time. If I'd known of this buying days trick, I'd have been all over it. Too late now, lol.

Good luck to everyone who has reported their progress. It's great to see everyone reeling in the years and taking control of their lives.

Jaayse

• Bristles
« Reply #152 on: July 24, 2017, 09:19:26 PM »
Looks like I'm at 66.9 days with my liquid investments and 105.5 if I include equity!  :D

In 2.5 months, calculated as of the end of June, I was at 72.32 days of freedom for my liquid investments. 

jrbrokerr

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #153 on: July 25, 2017, 01:39:22 PM »
At of today, Iīm already at December 6, but soon will receive a Bonus that will take me to December 12,,,, the Christmas songs are already playing in my mind jejeje

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #154 on: July 26, 2017, 06:00:11 AM »
170 down, 195 to go!

How the tides have turned!

195 down, 170 to go!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #155 on: July 26, 2017, 08:11:37 AM »
170 down, 195 to go!

195 down, 170 to go!
I've been following your journey, 2b1s. This is great progress. Congratulations!!!!

JanF

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #156 on: July 26, 2017, 09:11:07 AM »
I love this idea! I'm probably at negative 5 days hahaha but it's going down!

Roothy

• Stubble
« Reply #157 on: July 26, 2017, 11:16:48 AM »
I love this idea! I'm probably at negative 5 days hahaha but it's going down!

That works just as well--think of each day you "buy back" from indentured servitude.  Five days to go, then your "purchases" of time are completely for you!

This is definitely my favorite progress marker.  I don't know why it resonates so much with me.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #158 on: August 01, 2017, 09:51:37 AM »
Woo-hoo!

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #159 on: August 01, 2017, 10:32:43 AM »
I am at Dec 1st.  :D

I am including $120K as a conservative estimate of what I will clear when I sell my house in 1 or 2 years.

And I am using $30K as my annual spend, which is probably way higher than it actually will be.

afuera

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #160 on: August 01, 2017, 12:35:20 PM »
Just reached March 1st.  2 months down, 10 to go.

jrbrokerr

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #161 on: August 14, 2017, 10:45:17 AM »
Since I'm around 7+ years away from my ideal FIRE I've realised it can be more motivating to look at what your day to day actions are worth.

My current cost of living is 25000 per year.

That means my cost per day is $68

I just invested $2000.

Assuming 7% returns over the long term (10+ years), without even taking into account compounding, the return on $2000 will be around $140 per year.

That's two days of financial independence, every year, for the rest of my life.

For every $1000 I save I have instantly bought 1 day of financial independence, every year, forever

Just wondering how OP is doing ?? Upgrade us! how many days have you bought since the beginning of this thread ??

jrbrokerr

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #162 on: August 14, 2017, 10:58:05 AM »
Just wondering how OP is doing ?? Upgrade Update us! how many days have you bought since the beginning of this thread ??

smithandwestern

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #163 on: August 16, 2017, 03:19:07 PM »
Converted to mustachianism at the start of the year and couldn't be more excited for the future.

48 Days Bought!
317 To Go!

Cheers!

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #164 on: August 20, 2017, 01:05:44 PM »
This is actually a great idea. I'm planning to FIRE at €12000 / year, so about €33/day. Slightly lower than my current income, but by then we'll have the house paid off and no work-related costs and I would be willing to live more frugally if that meant I would be able to quit my job. Using a conservative 4% rate of returns that means every €825 invested represents one day of FIRE, indefinitely and €103 represents an hour. My investment portfolio is still quite small, but it means I'm already have more than 2 days per year of free life, indefinitely, and will probably have more than 3 by the end of the year. It's a motivating way to think about it.

moof

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #165 on: August 30, 2017, 11:53:55 AM »
Realized our savings account had built up a spare day of freedom beyond auto-pilot investing plan, so I bought a bonus day of freedom yesterday (well, 1.1 days actually).

I really enjoy this accounting method!

Slow&Steady

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #166 on: September 18, 2017, 08:34:07 AM »
I just had to go calculate this.  It looks like we have 17 days in the 401k right now.  I back calculated for a couple years, based on the end of year balance and we are not moving very fast, probably due to focusing on debt over investing.

I also back calculated NW of the same couple of years and those numbers are much more motivating right now and probably will continue that way until we switch our focus.

I guess I could get the best of both worlds if I used NW to calculate # of day but since I will always need a place to live I don't usually use that number for anything but making myself feel good about paying down debt.

I have been really bummed at work lately, our company was purchased at the end of June and things have been extremely stressful.  So of course I have started to look at escape plans again. As of today, using just 401k balance, we are at 21.7 days based on expected spend rate.  If I look at very very bare bones we double that and are at 42.3 days but that requires house and solar panels to be paid off or move and rent for very cheap.  Things are starting to move along a little faster this year, hopefully they will continue to pick up momentum.  In 2018 we will be having baby #2 and finally finishing off SL debt, I am going to assume there will be some months in there that things are very stagnate but after all that I am hoping to see these numbers climb significantly!

Due to the frustrations at work I have been looking at my 401k and I believe that (after penalties) we could live off of that money without changing lifestyle for about 2 years.  If we start shedding unnecessary cost (no daycare, go down to 1 car, etc) I think it might be able to last a little longer but that will complete deplete our retirement savings. This is just a pipe dream because it would completely drain our retirement option and  DH has life long medical concerns.  If work gets that bad, my career field is always hiring (it just doesn't pay a ton) so I will find another job fairly quickly but it is nice to fantasize about not coming into work anymore.

carozy

• Bristles
« Reply #167 on: September 23, 2017, 02:24:25 PM »
I just love this! Looks like we have 2 months out of the year cures, forever. This is so much more tangible to imagine! I think I will combine this idea with the art idea of shading in 365 leaves of a savings tree to represent our FIRE goal :)

I love the money tree idea!  I think I will do this too!

BeautifulDay

• Bristles
Re: I just bought 2 days per year of free life, indefinitely. 363 to go. Lot
« Reply #168 on: September 24, 2017, 09:54:32 PM »
Based on $40,000 annual spending.  So about $2700 per day.
31 forever days.  1 month down 11 to go.

34 days.

I do like this concept, but seems like it will take forever. However, a lot can and most certainly will change over the next few years.

Jaayse

• Bristles
« Reply #169 on: October 01, 2017, 05:19:39 AM »
Looks like I'm at 66.9 days with my liquid investments and 105.5 if I include equity!  :D

In 2.5 months, calculated as of the end of June, I was at 72.32 days of freedom for my liquid investments.

At the 5.5 month mark I'm up to 85.18 days of freedom on liquid investments, almost at the 3 month mark!  That is 23% of a forever year so far!

Bird In Hand

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #170 on: October 02, 2017, 08:55:51 AM »
Assuming 4% SWR, $75k annual spending, and 4% post-inflation returns going forward, then our investable assets cover...

234 days (through August 22nd each year) if we stop working today.

299 days (through October 27th each year) if we work and contribute to pre-tax accounts 4 more years.

366 days (through Jan 1 of the following year, each year) if we then work part time, stop contributing to pre-tax accounts, and let balances grow for 5 years before withdrawing.

FIRECalc tells a slightly more pessimistic story with the same inputs: 96% success rate for 50 years including SS @22k/yr starting in ~21 years.  Without SS, spending goes down to ~$63k/yr for a 96% success rate.  The FIRECalc/4% SWR discrepancy once again highlights the importance of being able to scale back spending (and/or rely on a side-hustle) during bear markets.

Bird In Hand

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #171 on: October 02, 2017, 09:00:55 AM »
Oh, and more to the point of the thread, our monthly savings adds ~0.5 days per year of free life.  ~6 days per year of predictable, boring regularity via bi-weekly deposits.  But we'll take it!

RidetheRain

• Bristles
« Reply #172 on: October 02, 2017, 05:35:30 PM »
I absolutely love this concept. I'm going to track like this from now on. It feels so much more attainable than the mystical FI number that seems so far away from me.  It'll make me smile a heck of a lot more!

urover

• Stubble
« Reply #173 on: October 09, 2017, 12:23:12 PM »
My current expenses are 36000/year (high because of city living). But, assuming same expenses post-FIRE and 7% ROI, I need 1650$ per freedom-day. So far:

59 days down.
306 days to go.

Rhoon

• Stubble
    • Multifamily and Apartment Investments
« Reply #174 on: October 10, 2017, 07:09:41 PM »
Projected expenses will be around $20K/yr (excluding a vehicle and rent/mortgage as I'll be living on a catamaran). I'm currently budgeting to have $32K/yr at FIRE for extra padding/ living life / travel.

Based on the $32K/yr number, I'm at 84.79 days -- an increase of 20.48 days this year so far. Looking to add another 7-8 days of my life back before the year ends.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #175 on: October 11, 2017, 09:15:12 AM »
Using the 4% rule I have enough stache to support me for about 142 days/yr.  Currently buying another 14.2 days each year.  Hopefully my 142 days starts buying me even more days.

intotherealworld

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #176 on: October 11, 2017, 11:25:10 PM »
Just wondering how OP is doing ?? Upgrade Update us! how many days have you bought since the beginning of this thread ??

Hey! I was lurking on the forums and very happily surprised to see this thread is still around and that people have found the idea useful!! :)

So far I've bought about 80ish forever days!

Dreamer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #177 on: October 12, 2017, 07:05:34 AM »
196 days per year paid for, 169 to go. 

Saving for the second half should take much less time than the first half.  I'm expecting my investment returns to add 10-30 days each year on their own!  This year so far they've added 33 days, but I do remind myself that "past performance is no guarantee of future results".

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #178 on: October 14, 2017, 05:40:58 AM »
I just reached the beginning of February for the first time ever. That's one month of freedom forever and eleven months left to go. What a nice feeling. I really am making some progress toward my goal. Onward and upward!

Bird In Hand

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #179 on: October 16, 2017, 07:26:05 AM »
My stash bought me a week so far this year. Such a thoughtful gift.

I don't know if you or someone earlier in the thread should get credit, but I love this way of looking at it.  I just crunched the numbers and found my stash has generated 25 days per year so far this year.

Of course the stash giveth and taketh away.  At this point another 2008-type of year would wipe out ~50 days per year.  :o

Slow&Steady

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #180 on: October 16, 2017, 09:16:55 AM »
I just had to go calculate this.  It looks like we have 17 days in the 401k right now.  I back calculated for a couple years, based on the end of year balance and we are not moving very fast, probably due to focusing on debt over investing.

I also back calculated NW of the same couple of years and those numbers are much more motivating right now and probably will continue that way until we switch our focus.

I guess I could get the best of both worlds if I used NW to calculate # of day but since I will always need a place to live I don't usually use that number for anything but making myself feel good about paying down debt.

I have been really bummed at work lately, our company was purchased at the end of June and things have been extremely stressful.  So of course I have started to look at escape plans again. As of today, using just 401k balance, we are at 21.7 days based on expected spend rate.  If I look at very very bare bones we double that and are at 42.3 days but that requires house and solar panels to be paid off or move and rent for very cheap.  Things are starting to move along a little faster this year, hopefully they will continue to pick up momentum.  In 2018 we will be having baby #2 and finally finishing off SL debt, I am going to assume there will be some months in there that things are very stagnate but after all that I am hoping to see these numbers climb significantly!

Due to the frustrations at work I have been looking at my 401k and I believe that (after penalties) we could live off of that money without changing lifestyle for about 2 years.  If we start shedding unnecessary cost (no daycare, go down to 1 car, etc) I think it might be able to last a little longer but that will complete deplete our retirement savings. This is just a pipe dream because it would completely drain our retirement option and  DH has life long medical concerns.  If work gets that bad, my career field is always hiring (it just doesn't pay a ton) so I will find another job fairly quickly but it is nice to fantasize about not coming into work anymore.

One month later and I have added 0.5 days, we are setting at 22.05 days right now.  I did scale back the 401k contribution rate to add more to liquid savings as I am the primary bread winner and plan to take as long of a maternity leave as possible but hopefully we maintain at least 0.5 days per month until I can increase the contribution rate again.

Still very frustrated with work, I called my old employer to inquire about openings that they might have.  I did not leave on bad terms, just wanted something different.  They will hopefully be getting back to me sometime this week.  I am excited about this because they understand that I would be looking for either a promotion or a full-time work from home option AND less than 6 months ago I got an email from one of the managers that they still had a desk available for me if I was interested.  We will see what happens, I will have less time to browse forums but staying busy has it perks.

Phryne

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #181 on: October 24, 2017, 06:45:26 AM »
On track for a record 10 days this quarter!
This is still my favourite accounting method, thanks again OP!!

saving_dutchman

• Stubble
« Reply #182 on: October 31, 2017, 08:18:13 AM »
I'm up to January 17th, I've bought 17 days of freedom. I used to buy 1.3 days per month. However recent luxury additions have brought this number down to 0.84 days. This way of accounting feels like a face punch.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #183 on: November 01, 2017, 03:12:06 AM »
I'm up to January 17th, I've bought 17 days of freedom. I used to buy 1.3 days per month. However recent luxury additions have brought this number down to 0.84 days. This way of accounting feels like a face punch.

That's a good monthly reminder of priorities ...

I reached a small milestone today: 3 days! I thought I wasn't going to reach that one until next month, but a small jump in value has put me over the threshold! I hope to reach 4 days in spring. 

Phryne

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #184 on: November 01, 2017, 03:33:12 AM »
Some unexpected bonus shares gifted from my company (thanks, work!!) will see us $800 short of 11 days of free life this quarter. November is our bills month (2 x vehicle registration, home insurance & 3 x property rates: fellow Aussies will feel my pain!) but you bet I am dialling everything back to find that extra money to add to the savings pile. This method is so motivating!

(Totally failing at only looking at this once a month!)

Jaayse

• Bristles
« Reply #185 on: November 01, 2017, 12:12:01 PM »
April 14 - 66.9
July 24 - 72.32
October 1 - 85.18
November 1 - 89.49

I'm so close to April!  I can't wait for spring to come this November!

aspiringnomad

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #186 on: November 01, 2017, 09:20:28 PM »
Just worked my way into fall (Northern Hemisphere). The seasons changing never felt so good.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 09:22:24 PM by aspiringnomad »

moof

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #187 on: November 06, 2017, 04:49:13 PM »
Interesting to put it into a date.  I am at 182 days saved, or July 2nd.  2 days shy of that other independence day.

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #188 on: November 14, 2017, 06:25:03 PM »
This is some combination of a ton of fun and a little depressing. Based on current spend I've currently got 7 and a half days funded, at the cost of about $3200 per day.

Good things that come out of this:

1. I've bought myself 5 days of freedom this year. I feel good about that.
2. The sooner I get rid of my student loans, the sooner I'll be buying even more days of freedom!
3. If I reduce my spend per day by 9 bucks next year, then I'll buy an extra day of freedom next year, instead of more crap.
4. Now I want to trim the fat even more.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #189 on: November 15, 2017, 06:46:13 AM »
170 down, 195 to go!

195 down, 170 to go!

210 down, 155 to go!

CCCA

• Pencil Stache
  • born before the 80's
    • FI programming
I just bought 2 days per year of free life, indefinitely. 363 to go.
« Reply #190 on: November 17, 2017, 12:31:48 AM »
Hi everyone,

I really liked this thread so I went ahead and made an interactive javascript calculator that makes the same calculations.  How many "freedom days" have you saved up?  I was trying to think of a cool visual for it and came up with sort of a speedometer thingy.

https://engaging-data.com/freedom-calculator/

I hope you can check it out as I'm learning web programming mostly as a hobby.  If you have any thoughts, I'm happy to hear any criticisms, changes, or extensions you might suggest.

Thanks!

« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 01:03:36 AM by CCCA »

saving_dutchman

• Stubble
« Reply #191 on: November 17, 2017, 01:01:09 AM »
Hi everyone,

I really liked this thread so I went ahead and made an interactive javascript calculator that makes the same calculations.  How many "freedom days" have you saved up?  I was trying to think of a cool visual for it and came up with sort of a speedometer thingy.

http://engaging-data.com/freedom-calculator/

I hope you can check it out as I'm learning web programming mostly as a hobby.  If you have any thoughts, I'm happy to hear any criticisms, changes, or extensions you might suggest.

Thanks!

Great idea.
However I associate red with negative and hair on fire. Maybe inverse the color scale? Having 0 days of freedom is an emergency. Having 365 days of freedom is very much green!

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #192 on: November 17, 2017, 01:20:43 AM »
I like it too. I second the idea of reversing the colours...red makes me think of an empty petrol tank.

AnswerIs42

• Stubble
« Reply #193 on: November 17, 2017, 03:42:39 AM »
Nice visualization!

Minor bug - if you have enough savings to put you in the red "free" section, the text below loops and says things like "This means that your savings could support you (without you having to work) through February 6 each and every year".

CCCA

• Pencil Stache
  • born before the 80's
    • FI programming
« Reply #194 on: November 17, 2017, 11:47:13 AM »
Great idea.
However I associate red with negative and hair on fire. Maybe inverse the color scale? Having 0 days of freedom is an emergency. Having 365 days of freedom is very much green!

Nice visualization!

Minor bug - if you have enough savings to put you in the red "free" section, the text below loops and says things like "This means that your savings could support you (without you having to work) through February 6 each and every year".

Thanks everyone for the positive feedback.  And for the suggestion to switch the color scale.  I did that and I agree it looks better. 

Answeris42, thanks for the bug report.  I fixed that as well. 

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #195 on: November 17, 2017, 07:27:27 PM »
Awesome tool!

It would also be cool to see a graphic of a calendar with days shaded (all white where not done, diagonal light green stripes though the completed days or something?).

Here's some potential ones to start with:
http://www.samplewords.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/2016-annual-calendar.png
https://cdn.vertex42.com/calendars/images/yearly-calendar-template-chamfer.png
http://printablecalendar4u.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/Annual-Calendar-2019-Portrait.jpg
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

CCCA

• Pencil Stache
  • born before the 80's
    • FI programming
« Reply #196 on: November 17, 2017, 10:14:11 PM »
Awesome tool!

It would also be cool to see a graphic of a calendar with days shaded (all white where not done, diagonal light green stripes though the completed days or something?).

http://printablecalendar4u.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/Annual-Calendar-2019-Portrait.jpg

Hi arebelspy, that is a good idea.  It occurred to me as I tried to think of a way to visualize it. I guess one issue that came up in my head is that I'd have to pick a specific years' calendar.  But I will think about it some more to see if I can think of a way to put it together.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #197 on: November 18, 2017, 06:25:59 AM »
Awesome tool!

Hi arebelspy, that is a good idea.  It occurred to me as I tried to think of a way to visualize it. I guess one issue that came up in my head is that I'd have to pick a specific years' calendar.  But I will think about it some more to see if I can think of a way to put it together.
Yeah, pick 2018, and update once/yr?

Or just don't label the days of the week at the top. Sure, people could guess it from where the placement of the numbers are, but it's good enough.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Simpli-Fi

• Bristles
« Reply #198 on: November 18, 2017, 11:14:24 AM »
I think your SWR is backwards.  I upped it to 10% and pegged the speedometer, when it should have gone the other way.

CCCA

• Pencil Stache
  • born before the 80's
    • FI programming
« Reply #199 on: November 18, 2017, 11:46:15 AM »
I think your SWR is backwards.  I upped it to 10% and pegged the speedometer, when it should have gone the other way.

That's how the calculation is supposed to work (at least in my head).  If you are willing to spend 10% of your savings, then you don't need to save as much money.  You would only need to save 10x your annual spending instead of 25x for a 4% WR. 

This calculator doesn't say anything about whether 10% is a good idea (it's not) but it lets you put in whatever number you want.  It's not really a safe withdrawal rate, I suppose, but more of a withdrawal rate.  It doesn't determine "safety". 

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!