Author Topic: I just accidentally saved $267 on a flight  (Read 5303 times)

JLee

• Walrus Stache
I just accidentally saved $267 on a flight
« on: April 02, 2016, 10:09:09 PM »
I am flying from NJ to TX in two weeks and I was looking at flights into Dallas...$437 one way. Holy crap.  Austin works too though, so I looked at Austin. $170.  But it's not a direct flight..bummer...but - wait a minute - there's a layover in Dallas!

Guess who's "missing their connecting flight".... :D

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
Re: I just accidentally saved $267 on a flight
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2016, 11:22:39 PM »
This is called hidden city ticketing. And a site called skiplagged will find such flights for you.

The downsides of hidden city ticketing are
Can't check bags
If you are delayed so badly they rebook you onto a different flight, they do not have to route you through your intended destination. They only have to get you to the final destination on your ticket.
Don't book round trips because missing a segment of your itinerary will cancel the rest of the itinerary.

HAPPYINAZ

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2016, 06:33:55 PM »
This is called hidden city ticketing. And a site called skiplagged will find such flights for you.

Can't check bags
If you are delayed so badly they rebook you onto a different flight, they do not have to route you through your intended destination. They only have to get you to the final destination on your ticket.
Don't book round trips because missing a segment of your itinerary will cancel the rest of the itinerary.

good info....I didn't know anything about this kind of planning

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2016, 07:06:06 PM »
I learned a bit today -- turns out on many airlines its against their contract of carriage and they reserve the right to charge you for the difference in fare, etc.  However, it doesn't seem to be enforced often at all- to the point where, as I've never done it before, it's worthwhile to take the risk of any complications (especially since I am only skipping the final leg of a one-way flight).  I have a friend who works for the same airline and he said to just not board the second flight and he doesn't expect me to run into any problems.

wienerdog

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2016, 09:51:31 AM »
I've been overseas in Norway and needed to extend my trip a few extra days.  When I looked at pricing it was crazy because of the price of the one way ticket.  I ended checking for a round trip ticket for the same day to New York and then return in 2 weeks.  It was much cheaper so I bought thought and then canceled the trip back a week later.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2016, 10:30:44 AM »
To confirm - this is just a 1 way flight?  You can't do this on a round trip or they will cancel your ride to the origin destination.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2016, 11:23:14 AM »
I've been overseas in Norway and needed to extend my trip a few extra days.  When I looked at pricing it was crazy because of the price of the one way ticket.  I ended checking for a round trip ticket for the same day to New York and then return in 2 weeks.  It was much cheaper so I bought thought and then canceled the trip back a week later.

Oftentimes for international itineraries two one ways are much more expensive than a single round trip itinerary, even using the same two one ways. Sometiimes to the extent that a round trip is cheaper than a single one way (as you found).

I believe this is because the plane has to come back to the country of origin, and they don't want a net flow of people such that there are empty seats on the return.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2016, 11:28:00 AM »
Airline pricing is such a crock. All these games.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2016, 12:51:55 PM »
To confirm - this is just a 1 way flight?  You can't do this on a round trip or they will cancel your ride to the origin destination.
Yep, one-way.

tomatops

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2016, 08:22:35 AM »
Airlines are all backwards. I think through Westjet in Canada, to fly from Toronto to Regina, you actually have to go FARTHER to Calgary for a layover no matter what, and then back East to Regina...

And for some reason Toronto to Calgary is occasionally MORE expensive than Toronto to Regina...

MrsDinero

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2016, 08:28:30 AM »

Can't check bags

good info....I didn't know anything about this kind of planning
Yes this really only works on one way tickets.  I used to do it when I was single and have gotten some great deals (I also used to give up my seat a lot too).  I hear that the airlines are cracking down on this practice and will "flag" you if they notice this becoming a pattern. 

RobFIRE

• Bristles
  • Projected FIRE May 2020
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2016, 09:11:42 AM »
Just shows what a nonsense some travel pricing is.

I can understand that airlines don't like people noticing their silly pricing. I also think that it's acceptable that your return is cancelled if you skip the outbound, you are buying a consecutive service. Though if you fly the outbound and skip the return, I cannot see that the airline can really punish you for it (e.g. charging a fee or blacklisting you). It would seem to me that you should be entitled to use/consume less of, or stop early, the service you have paid a flat rate for, without penalty. I would think if the airlines did punish people in any significant way they would get sued and/or new legislation would come in and they'd either have to stop punishment or "correct" their pricing models.

There can often be related scenarios on UK train tickets. Two examples I have seen & used:

1) You want to travel from A to B on a weekday morning. A to B is classed as a peak time ticket. Yet A to C stopping at B on the same train is classed as an off peak ticket (price ~GBP 200 versus GBP 90). So buy the ticket to C, get off at B. With standard UK train tickets you are entitled to break up your journey and/or abandon your journey early, so perfectly valid.

2) You want to travel from A to C return. A to C stopping at B return ticket costs X. But A to B return and B to C return tickets combined cost less than X (I have used to save ~10%, on some routes it can save > 50%). Perfectly valid as long as trains used stop at B. This is known as a "split" ticket, reasonably well known.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2016, 09:34:39 AM »
I read a recent article where someone went to an airline site and looked for a 3-way ticket that went SF - LA - Chicago - SF in the span of a week.  The price quoted was over $1200.  They went to kayak and found a "hacker" fare for the same flights, same carrier for about $300.  The hacker fare was to just buy 3 one way flights.  According to the article, the 3-way was priced as such to stick it to business travelers (i.e. their companies).

JoRocka

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2016, 02:32:24 PM »
well that's mighty interesting. I'm trying to figure out if I can travel to NC this coming summer at some point- I'll see what I can drum up int terms of options!!! Thank you!