Author Topic: I have... One Million Dollars (said like Dr Evil)  (Read 3152 times)

FrugalAlien

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I have... One Million Dollars (said like Dr Evil)
« on: January 13, 2020, 02:05:50 AM »
Created a new account for this as it wouldn't be too hard to link my other one to me in real life.

Anyway, I opened up my brokerage account today to see the attached picture :)

I was curious how they'd show the million, up to then the best I'd seen was 998K.

So without anyone to tell, it's you guys who get to hear that I'm a millionaire!

I'm a 41 year old married guy with 1 kid. The $1M is all mine though as we keep separate accounts. I'm from a shithole country, but have a decently enough paying job. The main reason I got in this position is because I've been saving at least 50% of my salary since even before I knew what FIRE was. I guess I just have a saving gene.

If you're interested, all my money is in Vanguard's all world funds, some in VT and some in VWRD. I would have gone 100% VT if the US government wouldn't take so much of it when I die.

Apart from my investments I don't really have much of value. My car is probably only worth $2k, and I have a $1k bicycle. I do have a pension fund that will pay out something when I'm 62, which for me just means more spending ability when I'm older.

My FIRE date is set in mostly dry cement for the end of 2022 when full time traveling starts :)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 02:23:15 AM by FrugalAlien »

bluebelle

• Pencil Stache
Re: I have... One Million Dollars (said like Dr Evil)
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2020, 05:20:50 AM »
Created a new account for this as it wouldn't be too hard to link my other one to me in real life.

Anyway, I opened up my brokerage account today to see the attached picture :)

I was curious how they'd show the million, up to then the best I'd seen was 998K.

So without anyone to tell, it's you guys who get to hear that I'm a millionaire!

I'm a 41 year old married guy with 1 kid. The $1M is all mine though as we keep separate accounts. I'm from a shithole country, but have a decently enough paying job. The main reason I got in this position is because I've been saving at least 50% of my salary since even before I knew what FIRE was. I guess I just have a saving gene.

If you're interested, all my money is in Vanguard's all world funds, some in VT and some in VWRD. I would have gone 100% VT if the US government wouldn't take so much of it when I die.

Apart from my investments I don't really have much of value. My car is probably only worth $2k, and I have a $1k bicycle. I do have a pension fund that will pay out something when I'm 62, which for me just means more spending ability when I'm older.

My FIRE date is set in mostly dry cement for the end of 2022 when full time traveling starts :)
congratulations.....well done

dblaace

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2020, 06:39:10 AM »
Congratulations!

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2020, 09:06:58 AM »
Pinky at side of the mouth.....

Retireatee1

• Stubble
    • Retireator.org
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2020, 03:46:20 PM »
Congrats, that's a tidy sum...especially for a non-retirement account!

BECABECA

• Bristles
  • Retired since July 2017, not bored yet!
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2020, 04:08:23 PM »
Nice work! Get ready for compounding to be more noticeable than your savings rate!

FrugalAlien

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2020, 11:17:36 PM »
Congrats, that's a tidy sum...especially for a non-retirement account!
Yeah it's great knowing I have full control of it all. In my country retirement accounts have assets allocated according to government rules. If I was to put my money into them I could pretty much kiss any decent growth goodbye.

Nice work! Get ready for compounding to be more noticeable than your savings rate!
I kind of saw that this year. The market gave me over 3 times what I contributed myself :)

Simpli-Fi

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2020, 11:31:30 PM »
Congrats, awesome work! 

I hope to join you in the $1M non-retirement account club soon.  It was one milestone to surpass my retirement account balance...as I've been investing in that account for much much longer, then next is to have two commas.