Author Topic: I have just completed a 70 pound weight loss and hit my goal weight of 175 today  (Read 3786 times)

Harrington

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I started at 245 on March 1st......It was the hardest things I have ever accomplished and I feel like a new person.

rab-bit

• Bristles
Great accomplishment, congratulations!

BikeFanatic

• Pencil Stache
Tell us more!

better late

• Bristles
Outstanding!! WTG

FuzzyRunner

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
That. Is. Awesome!!  Big Congrats!

If you don't mind me asking, how did you cut the weight?

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
Congratulations! That much weight loss in under a year speaks to continuous, concerted effort. Please share more details.

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
That is fantastic! I've lost over 30 pounds since February and major weight loss does feel pretty awesome. Not sure I'll ever see 175 but 200 is less than 15 pounds away. It's also a wonderful thing for your knees! I remember reading an article years back that talked about how excess weight was not a linear scale as far as impact to your knees, it increased exponentially as the weight got higher.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
OP, I understand the feeling of accomplishment you are experiencing. My story is floating out there on the forum somewhere, but I hit the gym literally the day after I FIRE'd, and with some significant dietary changes I lost 60 pounds of my own. Yes, one of the hardest journeys a person can embark on...but it is the difficultly of the challenge that makes the sense of achievement such a powerful one.

Congratulations. I love hearing stories like this.

Not sure if you are FIRE'd or not, but if you managed to do this while still working, then my respect for your accomplishment is even higher. I couldn't get a grip on my health and fitness until I left the job site behind for good.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 05:32:49 PM by Jon_Snow »

alleykat

• Bristles
Congrats.  That is just awesome.  You are giving me inspiration.  I need to lose about 30 and have for several years now. I know what I need to do but I just can’t seem to get a handle on it. 

Great work.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
Awesome job! know how it feels. Soon as I fire'd the first thing I did was lose 60lbs and have kept it off for nearly 3 years now!! Keep up the good work!

former player

• Walrus Stache
Congratulations.

One of the things I like about mustachianism is that it starts with finance but that the principles can be applied to everything else in life.  I'm much more able to recognise what in myself is blocking my way forward, including in health and fitness.  Don't know whether that applies to you, but awesome work however you made it happen.

Harrington

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I pretty much just cut my calories and started walking every morning. I went to a mostly plant based diet and cut out all junk food and eliminated dairy products. I'm 56 and retired about 7 years ago ( Actually I was laid off after 30 years with the same company). I have a bad hip and a bad knee and the weight loss has helped with both of those issues. I have a friend that is also my physician and he told me I was at great risk for a heart attack if I didn't do something. I weigh myself every morning and if I'm up a few I take it easy for that day. I walk five miles every morning.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 04:35:09 PM by Doneat49 »

Bicycle_B

• Handlebar Stache
  • Mustachian-ish in Live Music Capital of the World
Good deal, Doneat49! 

koshtra

• Pencil Stache
    • Mole
Oh, well done!

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
  • On a forum break :)
:))))))

I don't even know you and I feel so PROUD of you! Way to go in this magnificent act of great self-care!

tawyer

• Bristles
I pretty much just cut my calories and started walking every morning... I weigh myself every morning and if I'm up a few I take it easy for that day. I walk five miles every morning.
As you demonstrate, it's actually this simple: moderate caloric intake and get your ten thousand steps (about five miles) daily. Nothing more to it than that. Very impressive to have built the habit and stick to it. Congratulations.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
Nice! What are your plans for this new body?

Harrington

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Thanks for all the kind words everyone.

big_slacker

• Handlebar Stache
I pretty much just cut my calories and started walking every morning... I weigh myself every morning and if I'm up a few I take it easy for that day. I walk five miles every morning.
As you demonstrate, it's actually this simple: moderate caloric intake and get your ten thousand steps (about five miles) daily. Nothing more to it than that. Very impressive to have built the habit and stick to it. Congratulations.

There’s very little evidence behind the 10,000 steps number, and the only research that was published on it was put out by the guy who invented the pedometer.

10,000 steps is a fine goal, but it’s not at all necessary, so it’s not like people who aren’t reaching this goal won’t get results. I personally lost my first 30 lbs with literally no exercise, and when I started exercising, my weight loss actually slowed drastically because my appetite went up. The last 40+ lbs took a lot longer.

Research on heart health supports a minimum of 150 minutes per week of moderate activity or 75 minutes of more intense activity, plus some weight bearing activity for bone density.

You are absolutely right though, weight loss really is incredibly simple: sustain a caloric deficit over time and you will lose weight, only the pace will vary.

Not the number so much, but just regular low level physical activity (as it looks like you definitely know) is one of the keys to long life for more than one reason. :D

Congrats to the OP on an amazing accomplishment!

Step37

• Bristles
That is truly life changing and it sounds like the habits have stuck. Obviously, that’s the key! Congratulations on your tremendous success.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!