Author Topic: I earned $1200/hr today  (Read 5191 times)

Cecil

• Bristles
I earned $1200/hr today
« on: December 15, 2014, 10:35:22 PM »
So my home internet bill is normally $60/month, plus tax. Yeah, it's the cheap plan (Shaw). We don't have much in the way of competition up here in Canada.

On my December bill, I noticed some fine print at the bottom - "Effective Jan 1, we are raising your rate to $67/month". That was the last straw. I googled around, and found two other local companies (TekSavvy and Lightspeed) that offer the same calibre of service for $40/month! That's new, last time I checked one didn't exist and the other didn't offer service in my area. I was about to call them up and change over before I noticed the $120 installation fees they had. But, I thought... "Self, that should pay for itself in 4-5 months, and then it's all gravy. Just do it!"

But then I thought of the trick that my mother is the master of.

I called my current company and threatened to switch. I said, "I noticed you are raising my rates next month, and that makes me inclined to switch to either TekSavvy or Lightspeed. They both offer the same service for $40/month. Is there anything you can do to keep me as a customer?"

Instant response: "Oh sure, we have a loyalty discount for long term customers. Let me see what I can do." *cue elevator musak*

3 minutes later: "Okay sir, I've added an account credit of $20/month for the next 10 months to your account. Is there anything else I can do for you today?"

Nope, that's great! Thanks.

$20/month * 10 months / 10 minutes of research and phoning = $1200/hr. Not bad!

Cecil

• Bristles
Re: I earned $1200/hr today
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 10:37:53 PM »
And yes, I noticed they gave me the smallest possible discount that makes it just not worth it to switch, unless I can somehow get one of the competitors to waive their installation fee. :D

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2014, 11:33:23 PM »
Nice.. I have been opening credit cards and bank accounts for the 100 to 200 dollar bonuses of late,..

As I said to my Wife "I LOVE this game"...:)

Frank

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2014, 08:04:49 AM »
If it's anything like the cable/internet companies down here you will likely not only not be getting that discount, but they will still raise your rates to $67, and you will have to call back numerous times to sort it out.  Just because the rep told you one thing on the phone doesn't mean they are actually going to do it, at least not right away.  Hopefully they do though.

Zarya

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2014, 09:16:54 AM »
Am I missing something? When I do the math I get 20 * 10 = 200. Still impressive savings, but not 1200 (unless you have a terrific place to invest that savings!).

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
  • Live on minimum wage, earn on maximum
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2014, 09:22:43 AM »
Am I missing something? When I do the math I get 20 * 10 = 200. Still impressive savings, but not 1200 (unless you have a terrific place to invest that savings!).

You missed the 10 minutes of work, thus 6 times 200 = 1200

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
  • Live on minimum wage, earn on maximum
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2014, 09:27:31 AM »
I have internet at my house after 7 years without cable or net. 

Silly question,  but why do we have this?   It really wastes out time.

I will be using the net for work now, so that is my excuse.  But we could have made $4,800 using your math if we simply canceled the internet. 

Lifetime cost of internet at 9% investment return for 60 years =7,000,000

Hummer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2014, 02:12:35 PM »
So my home internet bill is normally $60/month, plus tax. Yeah, it's the cheap plan (Shaw). We don't have much in the way of competition up here in Canada.

On my December bill, I noticed some fine print at the bottom - "Effective Jan 1, we are raising your rate to $67/month". That was the last straw. I googled around, and found two other local companies (TekSavvy and Lightspeed) that offer the same calibre of service for $40/month! That's new, last time I checked one didn't exist and the other didn't offer service in my area. I was about to call them up and change over before I noticed the $120 installation fees they had. But, I thought... "Self, that should pay for itself in 4-5 months, and then it's all gravy. Just do it!"

But then I thought of the trick that my mother is the master of.

I called my current company and threatened to switch. I said, "I noticed you are raising my rates next month, and that makes me inclined to switch to either TekSavvy or Lightspeed. They both offer the same service for $40/month. Is there anything you can do to keep me as a customer?"

Instant response: "Oh sure, we have a loyalty discount for long term customers. Let me see what I can do." *cue elevator musak*

3 minutes later: "Okay sir, I've added an account credit of $20/month for the next 10 months to your account. Is there anything else I can do for you today?"

Nope, that's great! Thanks.

$20/month * 10 months / 10 minutes of research and phoning = $1200/hr. Not bad!

I also have Shaw cable internet in Canada and it costs me $61.60 month. I got my bill today for the next months service and it was $64.96. I'm going to do what you did.

Hummer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2014, 02:46:58 PM »
I qualified for the $39.95 that lightspeed is offering for 15Mbps. I live in their service area.

Apparently my current plan is 7 Mbps for $58/month.

I argued up one side and down the other nicely with Shaw. Finally the shaw guy offered my the opportunity to go with their 10Mbps plan for $25/month for 6 months(promotional offer). I will have to talk with them again in 6 months. They wouldn't price match the lightspeed for me.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!