Author Topic: I built a monitor riser / speaker stand for my home office  (Read 1533 times)

JLee

• Walrus Stache
Working from home for 2 months now, finally took the time to properly sort out my desk.  I picked up a monitor that I absolutely love (refurbished @ Microcenter for 1/3 off) but it didn't have a height adjustable stand or a VESA mount, so the easiest fix was to just make something. I took advantage of already having a project and built risers to put my speakers about where they should be.

I picked up a tablesaw on sale a few months ago and it's turning out to be really convenient -- I already had paint, wood glue, and screws from other projects, so the whole project cost me about $11!

https://imgur.com/a/86mEhjV

I just need to cut a properly sized spacer to put under the middle - it's sagging just a little, but that's a trivial fix.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
Re: I built a monitor riser / speaker stand for my home office
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2020, 02:39:16 PM »
Nice. It looks professional.

Is it 3/4" plywood? And the desk is a 2x or also 3/4" with edging?

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2020, 03:20:54 PM »
Nice. It looks professional.

Is it 3/4" plywood? And the desk is a 2x or also 3/4" with edging?

Thanks! It's 3/4" MDF - primed with Gardz and then painted with two coats of interior enamel paint, so hopefully water resistant enough for any inadvertent glass rings/etc. The desk is something my roommate had kicking around; I swapped my old (black) ikea table/desk for this one to get some color coordination going.  It measures at 1.75" thick (no edging).  I used a 2x4 project panel from Home Depot and have..maybe about 10" x 10" remaining?

I cut a short block to support the middle of the shelf, so it's not quite so saggy anymore.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2020, 03:58:21 AM »
Very cool! I agree with @bacchi it looks very professional/store bought. Might have a good side hustle there!

blue_green_sparks

• Bristles
  • FIRE'd 2018
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2020, 08:28:01 AM »
Nice Work. My DIY woodwork usually has "character".

Focus_on_the_fire

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2020, 09:54:52 AM »
Wow! That's more than DIY...it's DI-Absolutely Fantastically-Y. Nice job.