Author Topic: I'm cutting 200-300 miles/wk driving!  (Read 1183 times)

blahblahblah

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I'm cutting 200-300 miles/wk driving!
« on: February 23, 2019, 03:26:21 PM »
I resigned from a job that didn't reimburse mileage and required me to drive quite a bit.  Great pay and flexibility there but with the tax changes it just didn't make sense.  I tried to influence policy change around it unsuccessfully.

New job will be modest bike ride almost entirely on a bike path separated from the road 4-5 days a week.  The days I will need to drive my mileage should be under 50 and there's a plan to get it under 25.

Giving up a little flexibility but I don't think it will matter as my schedule will now be more similar to my spouse and friends.  Lower base salary but I successfully negotiated for compensation for some extra tasks and the option to take side work on my own!  Should make for an income neutral change! 
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 07:14:57 PM by blahblahblah »

HenryDavid

• Pencil Stache
Re: I'm cutting 200-300 miles/wk driving!
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2019, 11:13:47 AM »
Smart quality of life decision. In my view.
Check  in after a year and let us know how it works out.

BikeFanatic

• Pencil Stache
Re: I'm cutting 200-300 miles/wk driving!
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2019, 02:11:09 AM »
I also recently changed jobs and my schedule was more aligned with my spouse. I was surprised what a boost that was to our relationship .  I  have always lived near my job and my fellow workers always complian all the time about the traffic  the commute. I hope you enjoy the bike rides.