Author Topic: I'm actually doing pretty well...  (Read 9927 times)

kmb501

• Bristles
I'm actually doing pretty well...
« on: September 11, 2018, 05:08:21 PM »
I would say that last year was a win. I finally got the courage to move and took a teaching job at a local public school.  My income last year was around $40,000, around twice what it was the year before that. I paid cash for a cheap smaller house, and I started paying off my student loans. I did buy a car, but I felt like I needed it, as I live in kind of a rural area, and, even though biking is fun and a great way to get exercise, it's inconvenient to bike all of the time, especially on busy highways.

I'm just so happy I got a chance to taste what could be and stopped living in that rut of underemployment that was probably hurting not only my wallet but my health and my quality of life as well. I don't want to ever go back to that! I'm hoping by next year I'll have even more successes to report.

I can't say I'm not still upset at myself over taking out all of those student loans, though. I guess I was just so concerned about being a failure that I tried to make people think I was doing a lot better financially than I really was. Too bad it took graduating with a maxed out balance to finally see how foolish all of that was. So what if people would have judged me for being a "lazy slacker?" At least I wouldn't owe the government the equivalent of a very nice two-story family home. It's a lesson learned, though, and a mistake I never want to repeat.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 05:19:42 PM by kmb501 »

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
Re: I'm actually doing pretty well...
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2018, 05:29:44 PM »
Congrats. Keep up the good work. There are a few things I hate in this world and it's allowing children to take out 100s in debt with no financial education bc we don't talk about money it's private. Real estate agents. And financial advisors. Get rid of these things or educate better and we can stop leaching society. Oh and if we got rid of war the defense program could be used to fund education.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2018, 02:18:10 AM »
I would say that last year was a win.

Yes it was!  Congratulations, and here's to more badassity in your future!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2018, 03:06:38 AM »
Well done. Paying cash for your house is badass. (I did that myself as well). But on a teacher's salary it is very well done.
One should not linger too much on choices made in the past, as you can't change the past. There is only the way forward to choose.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2018, 06:11:17 AM »
Love the tone of OP's post - positive and happy and on a good track in life.  Thanks for posting and good to know things are going well for you - and entirely due to your own efforts.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2018, 02:35:38 PM »
I finally got the courage to move and took a teaching job at a local public school.

Congratulations! Yes, it does take guts to do a 360 and even more guts to move and take a new job!

High five!:)

PS ... perhaps we should teach our children to question everything and think for themselves and introduce the idea of living according to our own values - maybe even teach them how to live below their means and how to create a budget - imagine that:)

pecunia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2018, 04:12:30 PM »
Sounds quite smart.  I wonder about some of these folks that think it's wise to have the biggest house they can get.  More to heat, more to paint, more to repair and more money to buy.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2018, 03:03:02 AM »
Sounds quite smart.  I wonder about some of these folks that think it's wise to have the biggest house they can get.  More to heat, more to paint, more to repair and more money to buy.

We currently live in such a house. Not because we wanted a big house, but because we loved the view and could afford it. But I really regret it. All the things in your list, plus cleaning. This year I dropped cleaning the windows because there are sooo many of them. I don't have the energy to even think about cleaning them.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2018, 11:51:00 PM »
I'm intrigued - how were you able to pay cash for your house?

BTW, this big fat walrus says, in a booming voice and with stinky fish breath, "Stop kicking yourself in the ass. It's not productive."

I made plenty of mistakes on the road to FIRE but still got there in good time. If I can do it, you can too.

FamilyGuy

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2018, 09:27:44 PM »
+1 Dicey's question. How did you buy the house in cash? Anyways very well done.

kmb501

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2018, 09:46:01 PM »
+1 Dicey's question. How did you buy the house in cash? Anyways very well done.

My dad knew someone who had where I'm living now for sale cheap (and he also helped me buy it, but I paid most of it). It needed some repairs, nothing major though, and owning something is a lot better than having to pay 1/4th of your salary in rent every month. Yeah, I was surprised, too, a gated community and (popular?) vacation destination at that; they hold local festivals here a few times every year. It's actually pretty cool.

In other news, I'm trying to start making money online. I'm already working as sort of a blogger, getting paid about $10-$20 per article. That's not a lot, but I'm still ecstatic. I actually enjoy the freedom and flexibility of working for myself, especially online, and I wanted to know if anyone knows of any other opportunities. Here are some things I've thought of, and I would love more information.

Online tutoring--how can I work for myself and not an online company? I've signed up to tutor with online companies and either they didn't have any work for me or I didn't pass the interview.
Online teaching--same question; plus, I'm intimidated by the demo lessons
In-person tutoring--there are a lot of kids here, probably even kids who are homeschooled, but how could I convince their parents to pay me to tutor them? I feel like I need to invest in some kind of system so that I have something for the kids who have learning disabilities, but I don't know which ones are good.
Writing--I'm already blogging part-time, but I've heard copywriters can make a much better salary. I'm not sure where to begin on this, either, though. 

I would really like to pursue these work-from-home opportunities while I have time and freedom to do so. I remember when I was in such a rut, living from paycheck to paycheck, and it really stifled my creativity. I hated being like that, and I want to make up for lost time.

Plus, I'm going to just face it; I'm not good at working for other people. I'm not making excuses, and I even signed up for help from vocational rehabilitation services to try to figure out what's wrong. I do a mediocre job at best when I'm working for other people, and I feel like I'm constantly in danger of losing my jobs. I would rather work for myself, doing what I know I'm good at.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 10:54:09 PM by kmb501 »

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2018, 03:52:17 AM »
Not sure about the on-line stuff but I have seen other threads where its discussed. Never-the-less congratulations on your changes and move. Hope 2019 brings you even more success.

beekayworld

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2018, 02:46:13 PM »

In other news, I'm trying to start making money online...if anyone knows of any other opportunities...

Online tutoring--
Online teaching--
In-person tutoring--there are a lot of kids here, probably even kids who are homeschooled, but how could I convince their parents to pay me to tutor them?

I would really like to pursue these work-from-home opportunities while I have time and freedom to do so.

Look around for the threads here about teaching English to Chinese students online.  I think it paid about $30 for a half hour lesson but you had to do it early in the morning because of the time difference.

Since you are a teacher, I would think tutoring the kids in your school would be a perfect fit. You don't have to convince the parents of kids in your classroom of how good a teacher you are. They see the results in their children. Also they interact with you at parent-teacher conferences, meet-the-teacher night, and all of the other social events (Book Fair, Carnival, plays).

In elementary school there were teachers who would come to the kids' houses to tutor for pay. We never hired these, but knew about them. In high school we took one daughter to the chemistry teacher's house every now and then for private tutoring; and we had an English teacher come out to tutor our son for the SAT. This was one of the teachers who held a small-group SAT Prep class at the school that conflicted with our son's schedule.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2018, 12:59:43 AM »
In my community, the tutors meet their pupils at the public library. Kinda gripes me, because they want a quiet workplace, so expect others to be silent and motionless around them, while they're paying zero rent for their income-producing activity. But hey, if you're a tutor, check it out. If you do use the library, please be kind to the volunteers, who aren't getting paid to be there.

Zette

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2018, 02:51:47 AM »

Online tutoring--how can I work for myself and not an online company? I've signed up to tutor with online companies and either they didn't have any work for me or I didn't pass the interview.
Online teaching--same question; plus, I'm intimidated by the demo lessons
In-person tutoring--there are a lot of kids here, probably even kids who are homeschooled, but how could I convince their parents to pay me to tutor them? I feel like I need to invest in some kind of system so that I have something for the kids who have learning disabilities, but I don't know which ones are good.

There is a huge need for people who can tutor for dyslexia. In my HCOL area they charge $65/session, in LCOL areas it may be more like $35/session. Check out www.bartonreading.com. It is a program designed specifically for dyslexia. For $250 you can buy the first level and give it a try.  After you have tutored 2 kids through level 3, you can take a certification exam and join their tutor network.

kmb501

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2018, 11:26:45 AM »

There is a huge need for people who can tutor for dyslexia. In my HCOL area they charge $65/session, in LCOL areas it may be more like $35/session. Check out www.bartonreading.com. It is a program designed specifically for dyslexia. For $250 you can buy the first level and give it a try.  After you have tutored 2 kids through level 3, you can take a certification exam and join their tutor network.

That sounds like a pretty good idea. I might check it out. One potential problem I see, though, is where would I find clients, and how would I know what levels they're on?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 11:30:59 AM by kmb501 »

pecunia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2018, 08:36:56 AM »

-- KOWABUNGA SNIP -

Plus, I'm going to just face it; I'm not good at working for other people. I'm not making excuses, and I even signed up for help from vocational rehabilitation services to try to figure out what's wrong. I do a mediocre job at best when I'm working for other people, and I feel like I'm constantly in danger of losing my jobs. I would rather work for myself, doing what I know I'm good at.

One of them smart Greek guys said - "To Know the World is to know Yourself."

Dirty Harry Said - "A man's gotta know his limitations."

KathrinS

• Bristles
    • A Chat with Kat
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2019, 01:55:44 PM »
Congratulations, sounds like you've made some great changes.

I'm already working as sort of a blogger, getting paid about $10-$20 per article.

I'd love to know how/where you are doing this? I've published articles online before, but they were more in the $5 range, so fun as an experience, but not really worth it.

kmb501

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2019, 12:42:06 PM »
@KathrinS

Message me and I'll give you the details on the blogging company I work for.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 01:19:30 PM by kmb501 »

AMandM

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2019, 01:57:56 PM »
I have worked as a tutor. I started at a tutoring center because it was simple to get the job (the only requirement was a bachelor's degree and a practice SAT test) and I didn't have to search for clients. That was good for getting some experience, but I doubled my pay when I went out on my own.  Hang up flyers on bulletin boards at the library, the grocery store, the community center, the dance school, the barbershop, the dry cleaners, etc.--anywhere parents go and anywhere parents come to pick up their kids ;-) Also tell the guidance counselor at your school that you're available, and call the local private schools to see if they maintain a list of tutors for parents who enquire.

kmb501

• Bristles
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2019, 03:12:07 PM »
One problem I have with tutoring is methods. I want to deliver tutoring like someone might find at a tutoring center, but since I've never worked for one, I'm not exactly sure how to do that. I know there are work-arounds, but I haven't found too many books on the subject of just how to set up and look like a professional tutor vs. an amateur.

I'm assuming it has something to do with the kinds of books and activities you use, but I haven't really put anything together.

I'm not making excuses, though, I would just like to know how to look the part.