Author Topic: Huggies @ $0.11 each.  (Read 5555 times)

aces2

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Huggies @ $0.11 each.
« on: January 01, 2013, 02:27:34 AM »
Ever seen those denim-style Huggies that are made to look like little Levi's?

Hideous.  They weren't moving off the shelves at all.  So our local store marked them down 50% from $9.59 per pack of 25. 

They had a $2 off per pack coupon inside, which the manager let us use at the time of purchase.

We bought $800 worth of diapers for roughly $185.

SCORE!

directionseeker

• Stubble
    • Let's Retire!
Re: Huggies @ $0.11 each.
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 02:37:40 AM »
Ever seen those denim-style Huggies that are made to look like little Levi's?

Hideous.  They weren't moving off the shelves at all.  So our local store marked them down 50% from $9.59 per pack of 25. 

They had a $2 off per pack coupon inside, which the manager let us use at the time of purchase.

We bought $800 worth of diapers for roughly $185.

SCORE!

Wah! That is a good deal, almost 77% saving here.

There is no such deal happening in my place, maybe because the market here is too small and choice of grocery store is limited. The best I can do is be more aware of what I buy, balance between price and healthy choice.

Self-employed-swami

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 03:12:23 AM »
Whaa?  Someone made diapers to look like jeans?

I'm off to google this shit!

Matt K

• Bristles
    • Krull Photography
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 07:40:06 AM »
I don't have kids, so don't take this as judgmental, but while that is a huge savings, I don't consider it badass since you're still throwing away 2000 diapers. $185 could get you a good amount of clothe diapers that don't fill up the landfills. MMM has at least one post dedicated to them, and one of my good friends is using them (they keep a few disposables around for traveling and that is all). My friend is pretty pleased with them.

aces2

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 09:24:07 AM »
You are right Matt!  No offense taken at all. 

I happened to read that post about a week ago, and you're right, cloth diapers are where it's at!  My wife is hesitant, but since mentioning all the benefits of making the switch this week, I've caught her browsing a few websites that sell them.  We will probably go the fuzzi bunz brand (I think that's the name), but not having already made the switch, this was too good a deal to walk away from.

I love comments like that, you'll always get a straight answer from a stranger online.  I lurk here for the knowledge to become better, with less.  So, thanks!

Aloysius_Poutine

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2013, 11:25:05 AM »
Cloth diapers are not for everyone. We live in an apartment building with shared laundry and no possibility of installing a machine in our suite. I think for most people the cost of diapers is pretty insignificant given the (psychological) benefits of having a baby. It just all seems worth the measly expense!

TheDude

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2013, 03:58:33 PM »
I think its awesome. Cloth is great but my wife and I both work and we decided cloth just wasnt for us. If youre going to use them find them cheap. Rock on.

eldub

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • 4hutches.blogspot.ca
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2013, 12:32:12 PM »
Hey aces2 - we cloth-diaper our twins and it's easy. I liken it to paper plates. How many people do you know who use paper plates every day just because it's easier to throw them away? Exactly.

We use Easy-fit by bummis, and they are awesome. They're kind of a hybrid between an all-in-one and a stuffable diaper, so they're easy to use and don't take forever to dry. As a bonus, they are made in the UK (Scotland I think), so practically in your backyard :)

We use a disposable overnight, as the cloth just doesn't hold up more than a few hours.

My husband and I both work too, and our daycare provider uses our cloth. Cloth diapers have come so far, they really aren't any harder than a disposable. And you don't have to go out shopping to replenish your stash.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 12:35:22 PM by eldub »

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2013, 01:59:38 PM »
Clearly, the next step is to switch to cloth diapers and then sell the disposables to some schmuck on Craigslist for a profit!

c

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2013, 04:49:47 PM »
Congrats, that's pretty badass savings on something you use regularly.

MountainFlower

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2013, 09:02:53 PM »
Many daycares will only use disposable diapers, so cloth diapers the pay back isn't as quick or simple.  If you plan to have another kid, well, cloth will certainly pay off. 

strider3700

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2013, 10:24:10 PM »
my daughter developed horrible rashes when on cloth.  We tried dozen's of liners/materials/detergent changes and it never got better. It was so bad we took her to the doctor and had to put her into disposable for a few days till the rash cleared up.  Sure enough less then a week later the rash was gone.  Switched back to cloth and it was back 2 days later.  Disposables from then on out.  The good news is we basically broke even selling the cloth at the end.

Norman Johnson

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2013, 12:39:58 PM »
I tried cloth and they weren't for us either. I really tried to like them too, but no dice.

They aren't harder then a disposble to use on the baby, but once they come off, they are a bit more work then tossing out a disposable diaper. You will just have to get into a new routine! Good luck!

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2013, 05:05:03 PM »
Any suggestions on cloth diapering in the US market?

A440

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2013, 09:55:56 AM »
We cloth diaper.  We use some BumGenius and some Fuzzibunz and some no-name brands, all obtained on ebay.  Some were new and some were nearly new.  They are the pocket diaper style, so when they are put together, it is basically like using a disposable.  Thus, less intimidating for our parents and the daycare to use.   I got a lot of information from the altdotlife forum. 

I would have to look way back to figure out exactly how much we spent.  But the benefits are the minimal ongoing costs, and that we can use them for another baby or sell them on ebay when we are done.   I know that there are some really badass folks who do the original folded cloth diapers with a plastic or wool cover, and that is cool.  There are some online tutorials about how to make the wool covers out of discarded sweaters. 

The cloth diapers do take a little work, but both my husband and I both work more than full-time, and we manage just fine. 

kolorado

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2013, 02:57:08 PM »
Wow, that's quite the sale! Love the idea of listing them on Craigslist at a profit which you could then spend on cloth dipes. ;)
Just want to say that I don't buy the excuse of a "shared machine" as a reason not to cloth diaper. My sister bought a Wonder Wash and a drying rack for her apartment to cloth diaper her baby. And she worked full-time too. I washed cloth diapers in my bathtub with an old swiffer mop for a month when our washer was broken and I waited for a good sale on a new one. It took less than 20 minutes to soak and swish them twice, extract the water from them(by pressing with the swiffer, no dirty hands!)and a final wringing by hand. It was a decent little work-out too so bonus benefit there.
I've heard great things about Fuzzi-Bunz but I can't recommend them personally. I chose to use the Motherease One Size snap diaper system which fits newborn babies to about age two. I had two kids(2 year age difference) in the same diapers at one time which was cool and kept things very simple. I found the absorbancy after age two, even with extra liners, didn't cut it. But then again, my kids were pee-savers. They could hold in in half the day and usually did. Cloth doesn't absorb quickly enough to handle high quantities at once so that was probably the issue more than the diaper brand/design. Anyway, ME dipes are organic cotton terry with breathable covers. And since they're all snaps nothing clings to each other in the wash and curious babies can't easily get them off. There's also no insert stuffing so it's quick to fold them up for next time.
Right now my 2 year old is in cloth pull ups and I love them! http://www.amazon.com/Kissas-Waterproof-Pocket-Training-Pants/dp/B0053OSS2K/ref=pd_sim_ba_1 I am stuffing them with an insert. I made my own newborn prefold diapers out of 100% cotton t-shirts and I fold those up and insert for extra absorbancy. Our toddler loves the pull-ups so much. They are increasing her awareness and participation in changing so much that I believe she will train very soon unlike her stubborn older siblings. ;)