Author Topic: Huberman Podcast - 5 Stars from Me  (Read 2700 times)

totoro

• Handlebar Stache
Huberman Podcast - 5 Stars from Me
« on: March 18, 2023, 09:33:02 AM »
https://hubermanlab.com/

I've seen a few threads mentioning this podcast, but I wanted to draw everyone who is interested in improving their health, starting at any age or stage, to this incredible free resource.

Way back when I first came across MMM (more than a decade ago) I was already practicing many of the strategies that let me to reach FI in a ten-year period.  But MMM added a lot of useful tools that accelerated that process and a lot of comfort with a community of people trying stuff out and posting results.  Not to forget all the great links and resources.   Thank you community :)   

The Huberman Podcasts have had a similar level impact on my life. I am in my early 50s and not super unhealthy, but not super fit neither.  And I had high cholesterol results at my last blood test... leading me to try to figure out how to optimize my health now my kids are grown, we are FI, and I have time plus bad blood test motivation.

The scientifically-based information in these podcasts is direct, concise, easy to follow, and I trust it.  Dr. Huberman is a Stanford Prof in Neurobiology and Ophthalmology and he is very logical and data-driven.  And after one month of implementing some of the recommendations, which cost me almost nothing to do, I do feel a major improvement.  I started with simple things like intermittent fasting (I eat lunch and dinner), viewing morning light, dimming lights at night, listening to relaxation scripts, adding Vit D3 and Omega 3, and getting my heart rate up while walking.   

I will be implementing other changes throughout the next year and I'm excited to see how good I can feel, and how I can support my family to do the same if they are interested.

Please give the podcasts a listen if this is a new resource and this appeals to you.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2023, 06:57:12 PM by totoro »

Extramedium

• Stubble
Re: Huberman Podcast - 5 Stars from Me
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2023, 11:54:52 AM »
I do like this one, though I only check in once in awhile.  It's a little lengthy, but packed with real information.  He was just interviewed on Tim Ferriss's podcast this week, too. 

I also love Peter Attia's The Drive, which overlaps a lot with this.

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
  • Engineer, explorer, investor
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2023, 03:44:25 PM »
Thanks those are topics that interest me as well so I'll check it out.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2023, 03:46:43 PM »
I have found Huberman accurate and informative.  Don't listen to it very often, as it's informationally dense and my mind wanders so usually an episode will require several listens through for me to squeeze all the juice out.

Indio

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2023, 08:42:49 PM »
I'm a fan of Huberman's too. I usually listen on 1.5 times speed because the podcasts are quite the time commitment. When he's covering a topic that is very relevant to me, I either slow down the episode or listen to it twice. Follow him on IG too, where he posts the tasty tidbits from the podcasts. I've even expanded into following a few his interviewees, usually from similar uni research labs, because their info was especially useful. His IG lives where he responds to questions are entertaining and talks a bit about his background and what got him interested in neuroscience. Someone always asks him "are you my dad?" and it seems to have become a running joke because he responds with "Uh... not sure. who is your mother?"

TreeLeaf

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2023, 08:57:20 PM »
I love Huberman and have been listening to his podcasts since Pete wrote about them.

I cannot overstate how awesome the guy is. I have also listened to several podcasts from people he has interviewed, bought their books, etc.

I have made several changes in my life based on his podcasts which have had remarkable results. Sunlight, eating right, exercise, stress and recovery, trauma recovery, etc. Awesome stuff.

RetireOrDieTrying

• Stubble
  • Gallivantin' across the US
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2023, 06:45:34 PM »
It's crazy that something this valuable is offered at no cost to me. A couple of months ago someone pointed me toward Dr. Huberman and I've been doing catch-up on his back catalog ever since. It's incredible to me how a 3-4 HOUR presentation can still feel like not long enough because of the astonishing amount of information and discussion.

I have an engineer's brain, and the logical, data-driven presentation is right up my alley. I have made a number of very significant lifestyle changes because of Dr. Huberman's content. I go to bed earlier, get up earlier, get in the sunlight as soon as possible, tailored what time of the day I do certain things, and so forth.

I wish to ${DEITY} that I'd had this kinda stuff starting when I was about 15.

totoro

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2023, 12:13:20 PM »

I wish to ${DEITY} that I'd had this kinda stuff starting when I was about 15.

Me too.  So much.  Would have made a remarkable difference to me as another person in the data-driven category.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2023, 06:24:43 AM »
Appreciate the link. Gonna book mark. I have watched a few short YouTube videos with Huberman and get the sense the guy knows his stuff.

Archipelago

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2023, 02:08:24 PM »
Thanks for the recommendation! I've been having a bit of trouble finding engaging podcasts lately so I've been looking for something new to check out.

Are there any episodes that you'd recommend that are particularly well done or would be a solid first entry point to the podcast?

totoro

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2023, 01:14:12 PM »
Thanks for the recommendation! I've been having a bit of trouble finding engaging podcasts lately so I've been looking for something new to check out.

Are there any episodes that you'd recommend that are particularly well done or would be a solid first entry point to the podcast?

The podcasts are all ok as stand alone episodes so you you don't need to go in order and might want to pick based on interest.  I think the ones on sleep and light exposure were pretty high impact for me.  As was drinking.  I no longer drink at all.  As a result of listening I also no longer feel like I should cut back on coffee :)

I use cronometer.com daily to track nutrition levels.  It is a good free tool if you think you would use it and I found out about it from Huberman.  I also added collagen peptides, chorella, NMN, and Omega 3 supplements and I now practice yoga nidra (in the sleep episode).  Considering getting a red light therapy panel as well now that they are down in price given some of the peer reviewed research on them.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2023, 10:16:32 AM »
Wow, this is a timely post. Thank you for the recommendation, @totoro! I thought I'd read every single blog post, but I must have missed this one.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2023, 10:18:53 AM »
 I'm part of the Huberman fan club as well. So much great information and he is so generous with knowledge but also transparent when it isn't his speciality. 

I have a lot of respect for him and he tends to bring reputable guests which helps cut down on the fluff.

Philociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Eat. Sleep. Invest. Repeat.
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2023, 11:03:04 AM »
Recently started listening from Episode 1 using Overcast, up to May 2021 so far. Generally walk away from each episode with at least 1 potential habit change and 1 potential diet/supplement change. Love that he focuses on mechanism first, THEN leads to what you can do to improve it in your own life.

Padonak

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2023, 11:13:40 AM »
His recent interview with Tim Ferriss is very good too

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2023, 12:52:24 PM »
Weird.  Nobody has a bad word to say about him?

TreeLeaf

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2023, 01:29:20 PM »

No....he is like a God among men.

There are people on Etsy selling "Huberman 4 Pres" t-shirts already.

Padonak

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2023, 03:09:04 PM »

Nothing bad really but a couple of things that rubbed me the wrong way.

-He described his exercise routine in his recent interview with Tim Ferris, and it just seemed too exhausting to me. I would never be able to follow such a precise and elaborate routine. It would just ruin my motivation to work out.

-I also tried to listen to one of his podcasts and it was basically a 20 min advertisement for his paid podcast. These days there is so much free good content out there that I don't think i'll ever pay for any premium podcast.

totoro

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2023, 03:24:49 PM »

Nothing bad really but a couple of things that rubbed me the wrong way.

-He described his exercise routine in his recent interview with Tim Ferris, and it just seemed too exhausting to me. I would never be able to follow such a precise and elaborate routine. It would just ruin my motivation to work out.

-I also tried to listen to one of his podcasts and it was basically a 20 min advertisement for his paid podcast. These days there is so much free good content out there that I don't think i'll ever pay for any premium podcast.

You don't need to follow his exercise routine and he states this - and for exercise he spends less than one hour a day so pretty par for the course for a lot of people.  He does it because he is into optimizing his health and publishes it for free because people ask.  I did the routine and did not find it exhausting FWIW and I'm not in perfect shape - but I only work pt.  I no longer follow his routine because I found my own things that work better for me and I don't need to go to a gym then.

I FF through any ads - doesn't everyone?   There is a huge body of free podcasts.   I don't think I'd benefit from a premium subscription either as I have enough to work with already.

Telecaster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2023, 03:31:30 PM »

A lot of his stuff focuses on hyper-optimization.  Like promoting using the Galpin Equation for optimal hydration.  Important if you are an Olympic athlete perhaps, but I'm just going to drink when I'm thirsty.   

Bartlebooth

• Stubble
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2023, 03:35:43 PM »

You can find some in the comments on the MMM-Huberman article: https://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2022/09/30/lessons-from-the-badass-muscular-neurobiologist/

Carl: "Well, I don’t know. Huberman does sound eloquent but a few things bother me"

Rif: "I spot checked a few of Huberman’s claims and came away feeling that the science on his podcast is not especially sound. A lot of what he’s saying makes sense and a lot of it (especially the more general claims) are likely right, but in many cases Huberman seems to take very preliminary scientific results or to cherry pick certain studies and then claim with high certainty that there are large, powerful effects."  continues...

Daniel: "I agree with you Rif. I have liked some of Huberman’s guest, though some of them are extremely questionable (like Matthew Walker)."  continues...

Archipelago

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2023, 11:23:33 AM »
I listened to a few of the episodes. It's great content, but I think Dr. Huberman is a bit too thorough and for my tastes. I appreciate how careful he is when talking about scientific subjects, but I feel like his shows could be cut by 25% with the number of things he restates or explains multiple times in detail. There's also a good 5-10 minutes of each episode beginning that's just 'housekeeping' things like advertisements, referrals, how to support the podcast, etc., etc. I feel at times it can be somewhat difficult to stay engaged in long form podcasts with so much repetition of detail.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2023, 11:26:00 AM by Archipelago »

Philociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Eat. Sleep. Invest. Repeat.
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2023, 01:52:14 PM »
95% of the housekeeping/advertisement stuff is right at the top of the episode (at least that has been my experience so far), and he helpfully timestamps it in the notes so that you can skip directly to the content if you'd like; I start listening to each episode around the 6 minute mark.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2023, 05:21:02 AM »

You can find some in the comments on the MMM-Huberman article: https://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2022/09/30/lessons-from-the-badass-muscular-neurobiologist/

Carl: "Well, I don’t know. Huberman does sound eloquent but a few things bother me"

Rif: "I spot checked a few of Huberman’s claims and came away feeling that the science on his podcast is not especially sound. A lot of what he’s saying makes sense and a lot of it (especially the more general claims) are likely right, but in many cases Huberman seems to take very preliminary scientific results or to cherry pick certain studies and then claim with high certainty that there are large, powerful effects."  continues...

Daniel: "I agree with you Rif. I have liked some of Huberman’s guest, though some of them are extremely questionable (like Matthew Walker)."  continues...

I take that more as being skeptical on some particular area being discussed. Skepticism is very healthy for science and I appreciate that folks can discuss this and point out areas they may not agree with or find not as informative. Debate is healthy.

With that being said I think MMMs responses were spot on. I already know exercise is good, nature is good, sleep is good, mindfulness is good. What I find valuable is understanding in greater detail how they are good. For instance I have a better understanding of how important strength training is as I approach my later years. I have a much better understanding of how important stretching and flexibility are when combined with strength training to help ward off injury. I have a lot of lingering ailments and injuries from years of weight lifting while thinking flexibility is boring and pointless. Hindsight!

For me personally it's about finding value. I don't really care about the supplements he may be trying to sell etc. I care about the science and ways in which I can apply it to optimize my own mental and physical health. It's re-energized me to start strength training again while ensuring I spend at least 45 minutes focusing on stretching/flexibility as well nearly every day. I've incorporated rucking into my weekend routine as well. I've already felt improvements in my daily health and sleep. I noticed the other day I no longer crave afternoon caffeine thinking I need that to get me through the rest of the day. I used to be wiped out after a day of carpentry/renovation work. Now I come home, toss on my gym clothes and get to work.       

« Last Edit: April 27, 2023, 05:24:51 AM by MasterStache »

Padonak

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2023, 09:26:06 AM »

A lot of his stuff focuses on hyper-optimization.  Like promoting using the Galpin Equation for optimal hydration.  Important if you are an Olympic athlete perhaps, but I'm just going to drink when I'm thirsty.

That's what i don't really like about Tim Ferriss podcast either. Like, take 20 supplements regularly, ice bath every day, hang from the ceiling upside down for an hour to straighten your spine, microdose on shrooms with a certified doctor ($$$$$) and measure your blood glucose in real time by an implant. I think those two guys found each other.

RetireOrDieTrying

• Stubble
  • Gallivantin' across the US
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2023, 11:42:07 AM »
I guess anything can be nit-picked, if one is just determined to be that way.

My whole purpose in consuming health-related content is brain programming. I know that when I turned my attention to financial health I consumed tons of videos, read lots of websites, and gradually found quality guidance which I could understand. It has made a ginormous difference to my life.

Observing how my focus on financial success benefitted from the input with which I provided my brain, I am now employing the same tactic for physical health. I'm consuming content that is oriented toward health focus, and the nerdy, data-driven presentations by e.g. Dr. Huberman are easy for my brain to absorb and relate to. It's definitely having a positive effect upon my adherence to a new set of life habits.

Perfect? No, and probably nothing ever will be, but it's very, very good, and I appreciate very much the wisdom and deep dives which are offered for $0, just as I appreciate MMM's decade of articles. Not all of them apply to me, but that doesn't take away from the value of the overall offering, nor my appreciation for the selflessness of the time and energy to provide this for free-to-me.

totoro

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2023, 07:41:27 PM »
Proof is in outcome for me. YMMV

I'm 54.  Sedentary profession (Lawyer) who went for a walk every day.  Not particularly motivated to be an athlete, just motivated to do something in response to a high cholesterol reading and slightly high blood pressure reading in February, along with improving health span.

I wanted to know what to change in the most efficient manner.  Youtube and the internet are a gong show of competing opinions.   I realized I needed to narrow down the inputs to someone I thought was reliable enough to follow.   Huberman became my guy with references to peer reviewed studies I could read and I learned a lot.   Based on the science as best we know it today, I do what works for me and I have shifted behaviours, and it wasn't that hard.  I'm not trying to emulate a Navy Seal, I'm trying to level up my health.

I'm ten weeks in.  I've lost 8 pounds without following any particular diet, and have way more energy.  My resting heart rate is on the border between athlete and excellent, and my blood pressure is also excellent.

My next blood test is May so we'll see if I've moved the cholesterol numbers.  At least I'll know it is likely genetic if they are still high and, thanks to those peer reviewed studies, I'm not afraid of taking statins if I need to - the alternative is way worse.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2023, 07:44:38 PM by totoro »

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2023, 10:48:18 PM »
With most episodes two hours long, I find it too hard to stay focused and listen to all the info that's coming my way.

I've got some good stuff out of it but as a migraine sufferer, I found the episode on reducing head pain missed the mark quite a bit - not with the science based solutions, but in the definitions. It's probably because Huberman is not a migraine sufferer and maybe because he was trying to tackle all head pain in one show.  He described a migraine aura as seeing a halo around an object (maybe for some people but not most?), and then lumped that with light sensitivity and proposed red lighting to help with that (but what about daylight?). Unless I lost the thread of the discussion, which is quite possible. I might listen again when I'm not driving. I am taking in a lot of omega 3 as recommended by the show and it helped for 2 weeks then stopped.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2023, 05:16:50 AM »
With most episodes two hours long, I find it too hard to stay focused and listen to all the info that's coming my way.

I've got some good stuff out of it but as a migraine sufferer, I found the episode on reducing head pain missed the mark quite a bit - not with the science based solutions, but in the definitions. It's probably because Huberman is not a migraine sufferer and maybe because he was trying to tackle all head pain in one show.  He described a migraine aura as seeing a halo around an object (maybe for some people but not most?), and then lumped that with light sensitivity and proposed red lighting to help with that (but what about daylight?). Unless I lost the thread of the discussion, which is quite possible. I might listen again when I'm not driving. I am taking in a lot of omega 3 as recommended by the show and it helped for 2 weeks then stopped.

FYI, there are condensed versions floating around on YouTube.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2023, 05:23:13 AM »
I guess anything can be nit-picked, if one is just determined to be that way.

My whole purpose in consuming health-related content is brain programming. I know that when I turned my attention to financial health I consumed tons of videos, read lots of websites, and gradually found quality guidance which I could understand. It has made a ginormous difference to my life.

Observing how my focus on financial success benefitted from the input with which I provided my brain, I am now employing the same tactic for physical health. I'm consuming content that is oriented toward health focus, and the nerdy, data-driven presentations by e.g. Dr. Huberman are easy for my brain to absorb and relate to. It's definitely having a positive effect upon my adherence to a new set of life habits.

Perfect? No, and probably nothing ever will be, but it's very, very good, and I appreciate very much the wisdom and deep dives which are offered for $0, just as I appreciate MMM's decade of articles. Not all of them apply to me, but that doesn't take away from the value of the overall offering, nor my appreciation for the selflessness of the time and energy to provide this for free-to-me.
+1
Like anything, you take what adds value to your life and don't worry about the rest. One thing I like about Huberman is he doesn't tell you what to do. He talks about the science and leaves it at that. In fact I had to dig to find anything I could about his own exercise routine.

jfer_rose

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Pencil Stache
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2023, 05:32:04 AM »

Thank you for this. I haven’t listened to any of his stuff but downloaded a few episodes after reading this thread last night. I was thinking about starting with the headache one as my migraines have been becoming an increasing problem. Maybe I will start with another episode.

eyesonthehorizon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2023, 08:12:23 PM »

Yeah, I haven't tried the podcast yet so I have no real opinion of the host, thought it sounded cool ... but almost the first thing I saw in recent casts was he interviewed Matthew MacDougall, MD, the head neurosurgeon at Neuralink.

...wait, the Neuralink that had a bunch of current & former employees - people who do this sort of work for a living, mind - raise internal & alarms about "hack job" surgeries & their test primates dying with totally preventable infections, plus hazmat transport violations, & eventually it led to a fed probe? Hm.

Lab animals die, many are expected to be euthanized as part of obtaining results, but given the behaviour of the, ahem, owner, of that company with Twitter (let alone more exploding rockets) I'm even more inclined to believe the former employees about allegations of being pushed to disregard safety protocols than I was a year ago. Their head of neurosurgery appears not to have changed. The podcast host's in the neuroscience community, so it seems unlikely he didn't hear about this, it was a pretty major stir. That raises flags about his judgement & medical ethics, imo.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2023, 08:49:03 PM »

Thank you for this. I haven’t listened to any of his stuff but downloaded a few episodes after reading this thread last night. I was thinking about starting with the headache one as my migraines have been becoming an increasing problem. Maybe I will start with another episode.

There were some suggestions I hadn't heard before so it's not a complete waste of time. Maybe start with another podcast called Heads Up. It's by doctors at a headache charity in the UK who have migraine themselves. They only recommend treatments with scientific studies proving they are effective. There's a few episodes around prevention (supplements, devices, drugs, other treatments) and lifestyle adjustments that are good.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2023, 08:52:08 PM »

FYI, there are condensed versions floating around on YouTube.

Great tip, thank you!

Although when I went on, first thing I saw was this. I know it's a bit of a bro podcast but it rubs me up the wrong way when it's just guys discussing "women's things". Haven't listened yet!

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2023, 10:45:25 AM »
@Fresh Bread --ah yes..that's a weird one!

I am not a fan of some of his recent guests...when the podcast first started it seemed a bit more vetted. Hope he keeps things high quality and it doesn't just spiral into the tendency that some of these podcasters get into of bringing in the newest media-hyped dude (or dudette).

I oftentimes just put an episode on in the background when I'm cleaning or cooking. I don't worry about catching everything and just see what resonates.

totoro

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2023, 11:35:11 AM »
I find it both odd and unreliable that people who have not actually listened to the podcasts or read the research - all of which are provided free of charge - are now looking for reasons to criticize Dr. Huberman.   

I don't suffer from migraines and have not listened to that episode, but have listened to many of the podcasts and read the research studies.  I found a lot of the information valuable and as reliable as it gets (science evolves), and some of it I had never heard before.  What doesn't work for me I don't do.  I have tested many of the recommended strategies for improving health out over the past few months and have seen improvements. 

Yes, I'm a sample of one, but you'll find there are many people who have succeeded in improving their health after listening to him and he has 3.2 million subscribers for reason.  So, FWIW, these are the specific topics I have found helpful and well-researched if anyone is interested in the related episodes:

1. supplements - what might be worthwhile and what is not
2. daily exercise protocol (I don't follow his, but do my own based on the understanding I gained about cardio and lifting weights)
3. cold exposure
4. sauna use
5. sleep strategies and importance and NSDR (yoga nidra)
6. light therapy - my red light panel arrived today!
7. improving eyesight (this is his area of specialization)
8. stress management including breathwork
9. alcohol - turns out that red wine is not good for your health btw - even in moderation and I stopped drinking entirely as a result of this episode
10. improving focus - particularly how to block off parts of the day for focused work
11. nutrition - I now track my nutrition using cronometer.com so I know what I'm short/over on - very helpful and free
12. and hormones - the episode with Dr Sarah Gottfried https://hubermanlab.com/dr-sara-gottfried-how-to-optimize-female-hormone-health-for-vitality-and-longevity/

You need to put the time in to research and assess this for yourself if you have the interest/motivation to do so.  YMMV
« Last Edit: May 01, 2023, 02:50:07 PM by totoro »