Author Topic: How to retire for a year and travel in your 30's  (Read 5716 times)

LINDSAY639

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
How to retire for a year and travel in your 30's
« on: September 28, 2013, 08:59:55 PM »
Here is a link to our travel blog on how I pulled myself out of debt and saved like crazy the past few years so my boyfriend and I could quit our jobs and go on an extended roadtrip.  Would love thoughts on finding the balance between spending and saving.  I love to save but I also love to travel.  How have others learned to prioritize their spending?

http://in2themild.blogspot.com/2013/09/so-how-did-we-do-this-anyway-lindsay.html

Thanks for reading,
Lindsay
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 09:43:54 AM by LINDSAY639 »

ender

• Walrus Stache
Re: How I stopped being an asshole.
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 09:06:06 PM »
I like your writing style.

I'm not sure the title here ("how I stopped being an asshole") really matches you guys paying off debt, though...

kendallf

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2013, 09:12:34 PM »
You both write well; enjoyed the post!  Hope you're having a great year.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2013, 09:20:52 PM »
Hey Lindsay, my wife and I both follow your blogs RSS feed and have read every post.  Keep up the posting (both of you), and let us know if you end up near Vegas and we'll take you out for a meal.  :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

RootofGood

• Handlebar Stache
  • Retired at age 33. 5 years in, still loving it!
    • Root of Good
Re: How to retire for a year and travel in your 30's
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 09:17:59 PM »
That is so cool.  Enjoyed skimming the blog and will be back for more.  Definitely take a year off and do this now.  You'll have obligations and settle down some day (marriage? kids? house? etc). 

We did a six week backpack around Mexico trip when my wife (just girlfriend at the time) and I were in college.  The timing wasn't right, she didn't have any cash, but we figured out a way and did it.  What a memorable trip it was! 

I have been toying with the idea of a trip around the world (or maybe start with central/south America) but we have a 1, 7, and 8 year old so it would be a tad difficult. 
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 09:20:15 PM by RootofGood »

ichangedmyname

• Bristles
    • Luxe Frugality
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 09:29:58 PM »
I like your blog and that Harvest Host site is awesome.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 07:02:30 AM »
I have been toying with the idea of a trip around the world (or maybe start with central/south America) but we have a 1, 7, and 8 year old so it would be a tad difficult.

Aren't you FIRE'd?  You'd have time to work out any difficulties and no rush to get back to a job, so you could slow travel quite easily...
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Bank

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2013, 07:17:18 AM »
Love the bit of the blog I've had time to skim.  I'm a fellow New Englander (inside 495, no less) but am still snickering over Jim's Tom Brady post.

RootofGood

• Handlebar Stache
  • Retired at age 33. 5 years in, still loving it!
    • Root of Good
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2013, 08:14:52 AM »

Aren't you FIRE'd?  You'd have time to work out any difficulties and no rush to get back to a job, so you could slow travel quite easily...

Mrs. RootofGood is still working for possibly another year or two.  She is eligible for a 3 month mostly paid sabbatical any time she wants to take it.  So I have tossed around the idea of spending next summer bumming around.  Maybe Central or South America. 

But the kids are the real question mark.  The older ones would probably have a blast.  The one year old would be a handful.  He had a stomach bug lately, and I was thinking while cleaning up after that what a pain that would be without cleaning supplies, a washer/dryer, a medicine cabinet, a car, stores within walking distance.  I guess I'll say I'm a big chicken!  ;) 

Then there is school.  I could home school (if we travel during the year) but they do learn a lot in their school, and they seem to have a good time. 

And we are very comfortable here where we are.  We live in a very diverse area, so it is kind of like we are already on vacation in Latin America and/or Asia at times (sometimes being the only native English speaker at a party is cool).  I'm also just over a month into FIRE status, so the reality hasn't fully set in. 

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2013, 12:04:31 PM »
Followed this thread over to your blog - really enjoying reading it and following along in your travels! Visiting parks and being outdoors for 6-9 months sounds like bliss.

This year, DH and I have re-discovered just how much we love camping. We camped a lot when we were dating and then only 1x every 1-2 years after the kiddies came along because it just all seemed like too much work. We are making up for lost time and have gone out 5 weekends so far this year and plan to go even more next summer.

I'm inspired by your trips to the various National Parks with your dog along. I'd love to visit more NPs but a few months ago, we adopted a small mini poodle from a rescue who goes everywhere possible with us and it's really been frustrating dealing with all the restrictions on dogs in the NPs. Thankfully we live in Ontario and our Provincial Parks all welcome dogs.

As a side note, I loved your post about not just driving through the scenery, but getting out and being in it. I've always loved doing more than looking but for many years thought I was only capable of doing shorter 2-3km hikes. Last weekend my DD, my dog, and I completed our longest hike yet, a 10km loop that helped us realise we are capable of much more than we dreamed.

We are hoping for early retirement and DH and I dream of getting a truck camper/campervan/5th wheel/whatever....and do what you're doing. Drive across North America and explore the highways and the byways for 1-2 years.

Our big difference is that we love cities too and enjoy basking in the excesses of the Las Vegas Strip (while spending our days hiking in Red Rock Canyon/Valley of Fire),  cruising in the lap of luxury through tropical islands and even being a kid again in the artificial magic of Disney World (yes, I drank the Disney kool-aid). Hmmm...I guess I just love travelling - indoors, outdoors, the high life, the simple life - I love it all.

ozzage

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2013, 02:18:42 PM »
Nice blog Lindsay I think you make some good choices. Plenty of Mustachianism in your daily life, and then spend money on what's important.