Author Topic: 3 personal hygiene items I haven't paid for in 5 years!  (Read 4208 times)

Tonster

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
3 personal hygiene items I haven't paid for in 5 years!
« on: September 15, 2014, 06:40:59 PM »
These include deodorant, shampoo and shaving cream.  If you watch for coupons, sales and take advantage of double coupons you shouldn't be spending a dime!

I have a stockpile for my family of five!

Emilyngh

• Pencil Stache
Re: 3 personal hygiene items I haven't paid for in 5 years!
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 07:06:22 PM »
These include deodorant, shampoo and shaving cream.  If you watch for coupons, sales and take advantage of double coupons you shouldn't be spending a dime!

I have a stockpile for my family of five!

I haven't paid for 2 of the 3 myself.    Neither dh nor I use shave cream (we just shave dry).   I use baking soda to wash my hair a couple of times a week, and a vinegar rinse once a week.   Technically, I buy those, but in huge containers, probably costs less then the gas for driving to sales.

Add to my list:
-chapstick-I'm an addict but make it from beeswax (you use a smidge bought in bulk from Amazon) and olive oil (bought in bulk)
-lotion-oil cleanse and put oil on my legs after shaving following a similar method, using bulk olive oil
-face wash-use oil cleansing with bulk olive oil
-face scrub-use sugar or salt

And again, for the above I have to buy ingredients, but they are so super cheap.

I used to coupon and use CVS deals to get the above for cheap, but I find making it (a) allows for all natural ingredients, (b) is much easier and less time consuming

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 08:46:09 PM »
Ditto the just not using shampoo and shaving cream. Bar soap is my friend. But if you like shampoo, more power to you getting it free!

I've also recently given up using special soap on my face. Seeing if my complexion can stand to be washed with regular old soap.

Paraben-free chapstick is freakin' expensive, so I might have to try emilyngh's suggestion of making it!

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 01:34:03 AM »
electric dry shaver for me....I haven't bought shaving cream since I was 15.

I don't shampoo either...it makes my hair soft and girly.

Draw the line at deodorant. Nothing worse than sweaty armpits.

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 02:53:10 AM »

I've also recently given up using special soap on my face. Seeing if my complexion can stand to be washed with regular old soap.

You could also see if your skin copes with no soap. I have supersensitive skin and it's been decades since I used soap on my face. Cleansing cloths yes (if I've worn makeup or sunscreen), but otherwise I just use water.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 03:19:01 AM »
I haven't used deodorant for decades since I figured out I don't smell if I don't use it.
In the last few years I've stopped buying expensive face cream and expensive facial cleaning lotion. Use soap and bio-oil.
Phasing out shampoo to no poo  (which I've previously trialled and worked well) when this bottle of shampoo ends

Elderwood17

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2014, 06:23:34 AM »
We don't get the paper so we rarely see coupons, and the local stores don't double coupons routinely.  However, we do pick those items up from the Dollar Store at a buck each.  20 oz shampoo for a buck seems to wok as well as a name brand product.

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2014, 06:31:38 AM »
We don't get the paper so we rarely see coupons, and the local stores don't double coupons routinely.  However, we do pick those items up from the Dollar Store at a buck each.  20 oz shampoo for a buck seems to wok as well as a name brand product.
I just use printable coupons, and most of the couponers I know have stopped getting paper because it is not worth it.

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
  • Live on minimum wage, earn on maximum
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2014, 06:57:42 AM »
I went 3 months with no soap.  Google it.   Now I just use 1 bar of Ivory every 2 months for hair face, underarms and privates.  Can't stand fake smells on humans.