Poll

How old will you be when you retire (not just when you hit FI, but RE)?  If you have a significant other, average your two ages when you each ER.

<30
4 (2%)
30-35
24 (11.7%)
35-40
26 (12.7%)
40-45
40 (19.5%)
45-50
45 (22%)
50-55
32 (15.6%)
55-60
22 (10.7%)
60-65
10 (4.9%)
65+
2 (1%)

Total Members Voted: 195

Author Topic: How old *will* you be when you retire?  (Read 25751 times)

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
How old *will* you be when you retire?
« on: September 09, 2014, 08:33:37 AM »

A companion to the "How old were you when you retired?" post(http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/share-your-badassity/how-old-were-you-when-you-retired/).

Tl;dr: About 36 or 37 for me. Probably a few years younger for DW.

For me, it's hard to decide. I'm 33 and married with no children. We're thinking about kids soon, so my future spending is more of a challenge to estimate. I have a lot of spreadsheets. Based on current spending and saving, I could get to FI at around 34-35. But if I'm no longer spending my time at work, I'll inevitably want to do things that cost more money (like more travelling and watching movies) even if I do those things inexpensively (e.g. hostels and Netflix). And having kids will increase spending some more. I'd also like to do more for charity (which could include volunteering, but sometimes giving money can be more effective). And the stock market could be overvalued a bit, so I'd like a bit of cushion for slower returns. I'm the kind of person where I think it's likely I'll be industrious my whole life, and perhaps in ways that bring in revenue, but I don't want to feel like I need to earn money. I feel like it's easier to stay in a job that is OK (but not what I'd choose to do with my time) and enables me to save a lot then to put effort into getting into something less remunerative later. Hard to predict how I'll feel when my time is relatively unconstrained (except for childcare, etc).

So probably 36 or 37 for me. DW is younger and needs to put in a few years beyond my projected retirement date to get SS and Medicare credits, so that will help pad the 'stash while I'm changing diapers and teaching the alphabet instead of earning money.

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
Re: How old *will* you be when you retire?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 10:40:15 AM »
44-45

I could possibly go a year or three sooner but there are circumstances at work that are "sticky". I'm ok with it though because it will allow for an unbreakable safety margin if things go according to plan.

sleepyguy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 10:47:26 AM »
Currently both 35.

Me - work FT for another 5-7yrs, then unsure if I want to go PT or just call it a day and do other stuff.

GF/SO - work FT for another 3-4yrs, she wants to become a consultant and work seasonally.  She enjoys her work but not FT.  Unsure when she'll call it a day.

We have 2 kids (3 and 1), and live in a very expensive area.  We'll downsize housing for sure once one she goes PT.

lauren_knows

• Pencil Stache
  • Happiness is a choice
    • The Crowdsourced FIRE simulator
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 10:50:18 AM »
I plan to cut my hours at work well before fully retiring, as to free up time for fun and side projects. I expect that to happen close to age 40, depending on where our assets are.  If we weren't planning on saving for 2 kids' college tuition, it might have been sooner.  Still pretty far away to accurately guess (I'm 33 now)

MandyM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 10:51:09 AM »
I'll RE around 38 or 39.

FuckRx

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2014, 11:26:26 AM »
41-42

TurtleMarkets

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2014, 11:28:01 AM »

A companion to the "How old were you when you retired?" post(http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/share-your-badassity/how-old-were-you-when-you-retired/).

Tl;dr: About 36 or 37 for me. Probably a few years younger for DW.

For me, it's hard to decide. I'm 33 and married with no children. We're thinking about kids soon, so my future spending is more of a challenge to estimate. I have a lot of spreadsheets. Based on current spending and saving, I could get to FI at around 34-35. But if I'm no longer spending my time at work, I'll inevitably want to do things that cost more money (like more travelling and watching movies) even if I do those things inexpensively (e.g. hostels and Netflix). And having kids will increase spending some more. I'd also like to do more for charity (which could include volunteering, but sometimes giving money can be more effective). And the stock market could be overvalued a bit, so I'd like a bit of cushion for slower returns. I'm the kind of person where I think it's likely I'll be industrious my whole life, and perhaps in ways that bring in revenue, but I don't want to feel like I need to earn money. I feel like it's easier to stay in a job that is OK (but not what I'd choose to do with my time) and enables me to save a lot then to put effort into getting into something less remunerative later. Hard to predict how I'll feel when my time is relatively unconstrained (except for childcare, etc).

So probably 36 or 37 for me. DW is younger and needs to put in a few years beyond my projected retirement date to get SS and Medicare credits, so that will help pad the 'stash while I'm changing diapers and teaching the alphabet instead of earning money.

WoW that is impressive. How did you pull that off or pulling that off?

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2014, 11:35:26 AM »
Aiming for 33.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2014, 11:56:22 AM »
WoW that is impressive. How did you pull that off or pulling that off?

I've always lived frugally and worked almost constantly since 18, even during college (full time for 2 of 4 years) and grad school (1-3 jobs at a time). I started an IRA around age 20 and maxed it out every year and then maxed out 401k-type plans whenever available. Undergrad ended up being free due to going to a state school and getting grants. Grad school was free because it was a state school and I worked jobs that paid my tuition. In grad school I probably spent about $8k/yr total. I didn't have a car during grad school, had roommates, etc. I bought a cheap foreclosure during the housing crash. It's amazing how easy it is to save a lot if you just don't spend money you don't need to and keep a decent income. Admittedly, I have also worked incredibly hard and spent a lot of effort to keep expenses down. I do a lot of the things you read about here (no cable, Republic Wireless, cheap house, low food costs, almost no eating out, low utility bills, living close to work, not driving a lot, etc). But watching the money flow in each month--both from our jobs and the investments (most months anyway) and not flowing out too much feels really good.

I'm looking forward to freedom. I have so many things I want to do with the time.

wutra

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2014, 12:10:10 PM »
I'm guessing 43-45 age for me however I believe I'll be FI by 38-40. I just want a little extra cushion for my wife and I.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2014, 12:20:18 PM »
FI 45, but I may not retire then.  I suspect DH won't be comfortable with me retiring until 50.  If so, I may work till 52 (20 years) in order to get my pension immediately rather than having to wait until 55, which would happen if retiring with 10-20 years here.

But kids would complicate plans a lot and they are hard to estimate costs (and DH and I greatly disagree about amount of college support required), so that's the big factor in whether we hit FI when I am 45.

FrugalFreddyFingers

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2014, 12:31:56 PM »
45. I'm 30 now, and could easily do it with a family of 3 by 37, but 45 will put me at full military retirement benefits. Plus I love my job and can and have about $300,000 of 'almost' guaranteed reenlistment bonuses in those 14 or so years, that I didn't even count into my RE calculations.

TurtleMarkets

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2014, 12:38:49 PM »
I'll be leaving the workforce next spring when my first child is born. I'll be 26, and I'm not sure I'll ever return. I do a little freelancing on the side. My husband is likely to drop dead at the piano one day, so I'm not sure he'll ever retire, but I would assume that by his mid-forties at the latest he'll give up the software engineering work he also does.

Becoming a stay at home mom is not retiring.  Dont mean to sound like a dick but tons of people do this.

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2014, 12:44:55 PM »
I'll be retiring at 55, but hopeful FI much, much sooner!

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2014, 01:06:17 PM »
Gee, it sounds like I need to grow a few more whiskers.  I'm 33 now, and expect to be able retire at 51.  That assumes we stay in this stupidly expensive state of Illinois in the same big house, and that I don't get any raises at work between now and then.  That also coincides with the time when our 6th (and possibly last?) child will turn 18.

Downsizing our home or moving to a lower-taxed area will certainly accelerate that goal.  Same with getting a raise.

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2014, 01:19:01 PM »
FI 40.  I think I'll have enough at 40, but I probably won't be totally comfortable without a salary in 5 years.  But I could see taking on part time work, or working on a contract basis for a bit, or taking a "fun" job.  Also depends on what DH is doing, we are not planning on retiring simultaneously.

Anyway, FI 40, RE 42-45.

Emilyngh

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2014, 01:21:40 PM »
No idea.

I should be 40-45 when we reach FI (depending on whether or not DH works PT in the next few years, raises, etc).   I have no idea when I'll retire, other than it will probably be some time after then.

rocklebock

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2014, 01:28:27 PM »
42-45, depending on stuff. And then having a kid is a potential curveball. I'm 38.

pdxbator

• Stubble
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2014, 01:30:24 PM »
I'm FI right now but still working as is the husband. I'm 41 and he's 43.

I imagine that we will work at our jobs maybe cutting back hours until we are in our lower or mid 50's. We'll get full pensions then from the state. Both of us have jobs we enjoy, we just work too many hours. Our mid 50's will be a perfect time for early retirement - still young enough to travel and enjoy things, and not a million years until we can get medicare. That is my biggest conundrum with early retirement is getting health insurance. The MMM method of getting a really high deductible plan just doesn't seem like the best idea. I have seen people with horrifying diseases that could easily eat up year after year high deductibles. It really isn't sound financially unless you are young.

Also paying for a dozen years or more or health insurance if I retire at this stage in my life will be a drain on the fun stuff I can do later in life.

usmarine1975

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2014, 01:33:00 PM »
My plan has been at the age of 55.  I am currently 39.  Will probably continue to do something.  I am hoping to be FI before 55 but will probably continue to work anyway.  I have a job that I like.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2014, 01:35:26 PM »
I will be 30, as will my wife  (I will be about to turn 31, she will have just turned 30).
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

pom

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2014, 02:16:16 PM »
I am 42 ans and sould be FI at 45 (somewhere between 44 and 46 depending on things outside of my circle of control).

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2014, 02:30:15 PM »
Anywhere between 32 (very optimistic) to 42 (very pessimistic).

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2014, 02:33:40 PM »
I'm 50.  I plan to pull the trigger before I turn 51. 

DollarsAndDissonance

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2014, 03:41:14 PM »
Assuming no personal, professional, or financial market disasters, I should reach my FI target net worth just after my 28th birthday.  Unless I'm really enjoying my job, I will probably RE around then, too, which to me means taking some time to relax and do nothing, then eventually working on some entrepreneurial ventures and maybe doing some consulting gigs for fun and extra income.

Jellyfish

• Stubble
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2014, 04:26:57 PM »
Between 48 and 50.  But I think that means retire from my soul crushing corporate job and do something fun and meaningful that isn't all about the paycheck though might bring in some small $$. 

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2014, 04:34:31 PM »
42. In THREE DAYS.

Really would be appropriate to post that Ron Paul "It's Happening" GIF right here. ;)

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2014, 04:50:37 PM »
42. In THREE DAYS.

Really would be appropriate to post that Ron Paul "It's Happening" GIF right here. ;)
As you wish...

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2014, 04:59:16 PM »
Hahahaha! You made my frickin' day.

fartface

• Bristles
    • money apple
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2014, 05:00:33 PM »
DH FIRE'd in June 2013 at age 44. I turned 40 in May.  My FIRE target is between age 45 - 50.

I enjoy my job, and w/DH now home doing most of the childcare, meals, and cleaning...I've got a lot of "ME" time.

IMHO, when one spouse works and the other FIRE's - it makes the working spouse's life a lot easier and therefore there's less of an urge to get to the finish line sooner.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 04:15:46 PM by fartface »

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2014, 05:07:07 PM »
42. In THREE DAYS.

As you wish...

For maximum effect, set that as your computer screensaver and blast Lynyrd Skynyrd's Free Bird through the office's PA system as you pack up your things and make your final exit...

pka222

• Stubble
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2014, 05:08:34 PM »
40 years 4 months.  Provided DW's gig is going as well as expected my half of the stache will be done and dusted and my current contact will be up. 

MsRichLife

• Pencil Stache
    • Living My Rich Life
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2014, 06:03:14 PM »

DH has 'retired' this year at 35. He won't go back to full-time work, but in reality he's part-time SAHD and working on a side-gig.

I plan on retiring in 2.5 years, when I'm 40. I could afford to leave now, but we have a 2 year old and I want the security of a bigger 'stache. I'll also get a significant payrise next year which will see my superannuation increase a lot if I stay on a couple more years. I am considering working part-time next year though.

briandougherty

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2014, 07:01:59 PM »
I'm thinking RE in 10 in my late 30s. I'm probably about FI now a few dozen thousand under my 4% SWR goal, but that includes house equity which I'd prefer not to include, it includes some rental real estate which I'll either sell or live in, and I'd rather make a lower SWR assumption.

I'm really curious what options I'll have for job flexibility in the next few years. If I get something incredibly flexible that I enjoy I can see myself working for longer.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2014, 07:54:34 PM »
42. In THREE DAYS.

As you wish...
For maximum effect, set that as your computer screensaver and blast Lynyrd Skynyrd's Free Bird through the office's PA system as you pack up your things and make your final exit...

We should compile a list of songs appropriate for impending FIRE.

Here's my contribution. "The Final Countdown"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jK-NcRmVcw

Side note: The 80's were great...

Caoineag

• Pencil Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2014, 08:08:48 PM »
Potentially 42 with DH 40. We will see. I am only 33 now so planning is valuable but plans tend to be subject to change.

Middlesbrough

• Bristles
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2014, 09:03:50 PM »
Right now I will be FI at 40. Too many variables until then it really strap that down.

Suit

• Bristles
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2014, 09:12:47 PM »
Hopefully I'll retire between 37-40 but there's a good bit of time left until then for plans to change one way or another

Beric01

• Handlebar Stache
  • Law-abiding cyclist
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2014, 09:38:28 PM »
Currently planning on 33, but I'm looking to pull that in to as early as 30.

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2014, 10:55:53 PM »
Probably 55. Didn't occur to me that anything sub-65 was even an option until I found ERE / MMM. Seriously. No idea why.

Workinghard

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2014, 04:15:27 AM »
Way to make us feel bad.lol.  No ER here, for numerous reasons including late marriage, getting spouse out of debt, one income x 10 yrs, and foster children, but I'm okay with that.

DH will retire at 65 when eligible for Medicare. At the most he "may" work PT for a yr. As far as me, it depends. Sometime between 60-62.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2014, 07:03:02 AM »
Around 60, if I can pull it back a bit I will. I can see possibly OMYS coming up since numbers currently improve a lot if its 61 or 62.

Edit: added more clarification
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 02:32:52 AM by happy »

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2014, 07:27:39 AM »
Was FI at 44.118.
Am now 45.292.
RE set at 46.735 (tentatively).

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2014, 09:05:54 AM »
FI at 54.5 (the year of my 55th b-day, so will have immediate access to 401k).  In federal law enforcement, so could go until 57 (mandatory retirement age) if things went south with the market, but not planning to go a day past Jan. 3, 2020 if I can help it.  Older than most "early retirees" around here, but considering 6 years were spent traveling the world courtesy of the U.S. Navy, 4 years were spent in college after that, and then another 3 years in law school, I'll have only had to work in the "real world" for @22 years.  Plan to pursue work as a climbing guide after that (i.e., doing something I love).

Wife will hopefully follow at around the same age (55), which means she's got to work another 7 or so years after I reach FIRE.

Life is good and I'm thankful every day for my good fortune.

UnleashHell

• Walrus Stache
  • Chapter IV - A New ... er.. something
« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2014, 09:31:49 AM »
49 and ¾’s

2 ½ years away. I currently have 94k in debts and am about to head to Europe for a wedding and vacation with the kids to see family.
The trip has been fully paid for and the 94k will be at 75k by the end of the year with a max rate of 3%
All paid in 2 years and I have a fair bit in 401k’s and ira’s – in 2 years we should have enough to live on with no debts and a paid for house.

Dr. Doom

• Bristles
« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2014, 10:59:34 AM »
A freshly minted 38-year old.  Might even happen on the birthday itself.

Jon_Snow, HUGE congrats on 2 days to go now.  How awesome is that? 

NumberCruncher

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2014, 11:02:33 AM »
Planning on around 28-29 for me, 34-35 for SO

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #47 on: September 10, 2014, 11:14:16 AM »
Obligatory needs a poll.

It looks like I'm gonna blow past my 35 target (although I'll be FI by then)... might be 40 to align w/ wife, but hopefully part time/reduced hours/something else until then.

citrine

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2014, 11:37:34 AM »
Semi retired at 35....self employed.
Fully retire at 45...maybe 50....I will be 40 this November.
DH will semi-retire at 60, maybe sooner...he is 50.

MandyM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #49 on: September 10, 2014, 12:36:18 PM »
A freshly minted 38-year old.  Might even happen on the birthday itself.

I've also considered quitting on my birthday (coincidentally, my 38th). What a great present to yourself. The only reason I probably won't is because mine sits right between Christmas and New Year's. I'd rather just have my last day before the holiday and call it good.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!