Author Topic: How much has your Net Worth increased since starting MMM?  (Read 119545 times)

mountainfamily

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: How much has your Net Worth increased since starting MMM?
« Reply #50 on: September 26, 2017, 10:22:39 PM »
Wow, some people have really big numbers. I still owe $48,000 in student loans, so that drags my numbers down a bit.

August 2015: -$76000 (Yes, that's a negative number.)
September 2017: +$25000 (including equity from my house)

I'd be further along if my wife hadn't been sick and unable to work for a year and a half and if I didn't have to pay 5.25% interest on my student loans, but overall I'm doing pretty well.

Finding MMM has made a huge difference in my life.

Basically you've turned things around by over $100,000 in a little over 2 years.  Hot damn that's awesome!  Working out of a hole (debt) is actually much harder than building wealth from zero.

Totally agree. You rock!

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #51 on: September 28, 2017, 10:48:43 AM »
I think I found MMM in March 2014.   It took us a couple months to get tracking everything, so my earliest net worth entry is May 2017.

May 2014 - $132.7k
Sept 2017 - $417.7k

an increase of $285k in 28 months40 months.  That's absurd! I never earned more than $70k/yr until I got a raise last month.  Some of that was due to using outdated home values for the 2 houses we used, so mid stream I changed over so it would automatically pull the value from zillow, and that represents a good chunk of that increase, but it's still impressive to me none-the-less.  We also managed to pay for IVF (my wife got a job and saved for a couple years to offset this cost).  I love watching my net worth line trend upwards each month.  Most of that pink debt is mortgages on two houses, one of which we just sold.  My graph should change drastically in the coming months, but it's all just reshuffling and the net worth line should stay where it is, steadily creeping ever higher.

The 3 lines above it are inflation adjusted baseline spending pegged to 2014 dollars.  Will be glorious day when my yellow net worth line starts crossing over those thresholds.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 07:34:17 AM by frugalnacho »

Eurotexan

• Stubble
« Reply #52 on: October 21, 2017, 07:38:38 AM »
Great thread for us to look back and see how far we’ve come!

Joined Jan 2014 with NW of $141k
Oct 2017 NW of $730k

I would never have gotten here without MMM and this forum. Sold a cash flow negative rental house for a tidy profit and keep investing into the market. Frugal is the new norm for me now,
I couldn’t imagine spending like I used to.

DieHard_772

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #53 on: October 21, 2017, 08:06:38 AM »
$23,000 increase in our net worth since November 2015.  MMM had a lot to do with this, for even this somewhat modest amount probably would not have happened if I had not discovered this blog.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #54 on: October 21, 2017, 08:23:50 AM »
Oct 2015 - $220k
Oct 2017 - $500k

Whoa...I thought I calculated wrong and had to double check my numbers.

frizzywhiskers

• Stubble
« Reply #55 on: October 21, 2017, 11:42:05 AM »
November 2013 - Net Worth $525,000
October 2017 - Net Worth $975,000

Ya Baby! :)  Thanks MMM!

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #56 on: October 21, 2017, 12:06:04 PM »
93% growth in NW over almost 4 years. 

powersuitrecall

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #57 on: October 23, 2017, 09:00:07 AM »
Since discovering MMM in 2014, we've added ~$600K to our NW but perhaps more importantly, we've taken control of our financial health.

I found this site when researching early retirement, and it's given back so much more.  2 giant thumbs up :)

englishteacheralex

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #58 on: October 23, 2017, 09:42:39 AM »
Started July 2016 at 195,000.

Today we're at about 260,000.

There was a child born and a maternity leave in there. And now we're paying for daycare for two kids. We include our home equity in our net worth we pay extra on the principle and it would make us sad to leave that out of the equation.

So...

Vanguard index funds: $125k
Condo: Mortgage 307k; estimated value 405k

The rest is cash. We believe in a big emergency fund.

ducky19

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #59 on: October 23, 2017, 10:16:14 AM »
Joined February, 2014: $109,215.19.

Current NW: $353,980.38.

224% increase in 3.5 years.

lemonlyman

• Bristles
« Reply #60 on: October 23, 2017, 10:20:51 AM »
March 2015: ~ -$70,000
October 2017: ~ $35,000

I used to try and calculate my wife's pension value in there, but it just inflated my networth too much so I took it out. I've also left house value the same as historical cost. I don't trust something like Zillow. I'll trust the number on the paperwork if I sell.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #61 on: October 23, 2017, 10:24:26 AM »

I used to try and calculate my wife's pension value in there, but it just inflated my networth too much so I took it out. I've also left house value the same as historical cost. I don't trust something like Zillow. I'll trust the number on the paperwork if I sell.

You seem to have gone backwards.  Did you forget a zero in your October 2017 number?

Frugal D

• Stubble
« Reply #62 on: October 23, 2017, 12:05:05 PM »
Love reading all of these and congrats to all. It's amazing how easy it is to get rich for anyone who truly wants to.

July 2014 NW: $320k
Today NW: $1,350k

lemonlyman

• Bristles
« Reply #63 on: October 23, 2017, 01:22:27 PM »

You seem to have gone backwards.  Did you forget a zero in your October 2017 number?

Nope, there's a minus sign in front of the $70,000 so it's negative. Sorry, hard to see.
March 2015: ~ ($70,000)

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #64 on: October 23, 2017, 01:25:47 PM »

It looks as if there's a negative sign in the March 2015 number.  So a change of $105K

kaypinkHH

• Pencil Stache
    • My first Journal!
« Reply #65 on: October 23, 2017, 01:42:29 PM »
May 2014- Read through the blog, getting rid of cable was the first/immediate step.
Net worth ~ 40k

October 2017-
Networth- ~600k (including house, which we are selling and moving to a Lower COL!!)
Networth without house equity ~250k

Not bad for a 29 year old couple living in one of the most expensive cities in Canada!

Thanks MMM!

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #66 on: October 23, 2017, 02:35:53 PM »
hard to know for sure what i had when we started.

Found MMM at 27 in Feb 2014 had ~~125k
Today in 2017 ~ 750k networth.

gennyjo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #67 on: October 23, 2017, 05:28:21 PM »
What a great thread! I started reading MMM in September 2016 right after getting a 10K raise (44K to 54K) and my net worth has gone from approximately 90K to 110K. What is more impressive is how much money MMM has saved me.

I've always been decent with money but since I had just gotten a raise, I was super close to buying a Volkswagen Tiguan to celebrate. I found MMM that weekend and when I saw he drove the same car I have (Scion XD), I felt like it was a sign. That saved me about 10K.

I got married this year and MMM strengthened my resolve to have an affordable wedding so that probably saved me 5K although that is just an estimate.

I work for a state university and after learning more about investments, I realized there is an optional retirement program which is basically like an extremely flexible Roth IRA specifically for early retirees, so I maxed out this year's 15K contribution and plan to do so as long as I work at the university.

It's been a fun journey! Although I'm still a consumer by mustachian standards, no one I work with has even considered the university's additional retirement program, so I guess I'm still in the top 5%.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #68 on: October 23, 2017, 05:56:37 PM »
August 2015 $105k
Sept 2017 $243k

I got a 60% raise in September 2015, which helped dramatically.

OurTown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #69 on: October 24, 2017, 12:06:54 PM »
Interesting. 

May 2015 = $284,000
Oct 2017 = $543,000

Almost doubled!

concealed stache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Do you have a permit for that thing?
« Reply #70 on: October 24, 2017, 11:09:47 PM »
for soem reason never ran this particular number. Dec 2013 to present, ~$580k to ~$1,800k. That's over 26k/mth on average! Madness!! To be fair, I am definitely overpaid, but it's largely a testament to the power of compounding, both in the equity markets and in debt paydown on leveraged real estate.

DieHard_772

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #71 on: October 25, 2017, 04:40:12 PM »
for soem reason never ran this particular number. Dec 2013 to present, ~$580k to ~$1,800k. That's over 26k/mth on average! Madness!! To be fair, I am definitely overpaid, but it's largely a testament to the power of compounding, both in the equity markets and in debt paydown on leveraged real estate.

Wow.  Bravo.

wannabe-stache

• Stubble
« Reply #72 on: October 26, 2017, 12:01:00 PM »
Found MMM in May 2017.  Was blindly spending $ on all sorts of stuff.  Cut expenses and started cramming every extra penny into schwab since that time has brought me and DW from $1.6 to $2.7M including massive paydowns on the mortgage.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #73 on: October 26, 2017, 12:07:03 PM »
Found MMM in May 2017.  Was blindly spending $ on all sorts of stuff.  Cut expenses and started cramming every extra penny into schwab since that time has brought me and DW from $1.6 to $2.7M including massive paydowns on the mortgage.

why is your name wanna be stache then you should be FI and able to RE whenever if you could go up 1.1M in 5 months.

wannabe-stache

• Stubble
« Reply #74 on: October 26, 2017, 12:23:24 PM »
Our NW went up so quickly due to a few bonus/stock option payments that came in this summer.  but had we not found MMM we'd have parked it in cash and/or increased our spending.

Just had our first kid 3 months ago.

i predict spending $90K/year to be safe and assume a 3% SWR - i am conservative...and i sense that the next few years may be different for the market than the last few. not changing my asset allocation though.

i do want to pursue non-mustachian pursuits in retirement. fish, golf, travel etc.

i assume we need ~$3M to be at FIRE. right now we have a bit less than $2M invested.

can't convince my wife yet anyways but she's getting there.

i know i am not mustachian by many folks' standards but relative to our net worth, i would say we are.  i do all the cooking, even make our own bread; i do the lawncare; take the train to work which is quite rare in our city; etc.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #75 on: October 26, 2017, 07:20:37 PM »
Our NW went up so quickly due to a few bonus/stock option payments that came in this summer.  but had we not found MMM we'd have parked it in cash and/or increased our spending.

i predict spending $90K/year to be safe and assume a 3% SWR - i am conservative...and i sense that the next few years may be different for the market than the last few. not changing my asset allocation though.

i do want to pursue non-mustachian pursuits in retirement. fish, golf, travel etc.

i assume we need ~$3M to be at FIRE. right now we have a bit less than $2M invested.

i know i am not mustachian by many folks' standards but relative to our net worth, i would say we are.  i do all the cooking, even make our own bread; i do the lawncare; take the train to work which is quite rare in our city; etc.

4% is already conservative, FYI...

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #76 on: October 27, 2017, 06:09:16 AM »

yes its quite conservative see this thread

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/investor-alley/stop-worrying-about-the-4-rule/

kendallf

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #77 on: October 27, 2017, 08:37:03 AM »
I found MMM in late 2012 and started tracking things seriously in Mint soon after.

Jan 2013: ~250k
Oct 2017: ~720k

This is just me, not including my wife's numbers as she has separate accounts.

Crazy to think about: I was 47, had been working in a well paid engineering job for over 20 years, had owned a house for over 20 years, and my NW was about 2x my annual salary.  4.5 years later, that's tripled!

This increase happened while basically static in income, with major non-MMM expenses (hello, eating out, looking at you here).  I got some of the big things right finally (housing, cars) and the market has been booming, of course. 

I credit MMM with helping change my mindset to one of looking for optimization and simplicity and making me think about options for the next few years beyond "keep working until 65".  There have been other blogs that inspired and informed me as well; Jeremy and Winnie at GoCurryCracker being a prime one.  I really enjoyed meeting them in Malaysia a couple of years ago.

I'm trying now to influence my daughters to figure this out way earlier than I did and become FI while they're young. 

wannabe-stache

• Stubble
« Reply #78 on: October 27, 2017, 09:33:01 AM »

i've read the article.  also the articles by Pfau, Kitces, Big ERN which generally prescribe lower SWRs.  i take them all under consideration.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #79 on: October 27, 2017, 09:52:29 AM »

i've read the article.  also the articles by Pfau, Kitces, Big ERN which generally prescribe lower SWRs.  i take them all under consideration.

You mentioned that you've had massive paydowns on your mortgage.  Is it paid off now?  If not, will it be paid off before you retire?  If it WILL be paid off before retirement, are you remembering to subtract your mortgage payments from your yearly expenses?  $90k per year and no mortgage is a LOT of money....

wannabe-stache

• Stubble
« Reply #80 on: October 27, 2017, 10:03:08 AM »

You mentioned that you've had massive paydowns on your mortgage.  Is it paid off now?  If not, will it be paid off before you retire?  If it WILL be paid off before retirement, are you remembering to subtract your mortgage payments from your yearly expenses?  $90k per year and no mortgage is a LOT of money....

we have another $120K to pay off.  i think we'll pay the balance off early next year.  the $90K doesn't include mortgage payments. it is based on a well-cushioned budget that is built so as to preempt any comments from DW about things foregone.

i am well aware that i could retire now.  further if we cut our budget we both could retire now.  but i have golden handcuffs, don't hate my job, and my wife likes her job and has bulletproof insurance which we will need due to the little one having a small health issue.  so i plan to soldier on for a few years then pull the plug and enjoy life.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #81 on: October 27, 2017, 11:16:13 AM »

we have another $120K to pay off.  i think we'll pay the balance off early next year.  the $90K doesn't include mortgage payments. it is based on a well-cushioned budget that is built so as to preempt any comments from DW about things foregone.

i am well aware that i could retire now.  further if we cut our budget we both could retire now.  but i have golden handcuffs, don't hate my job, and my wife likes her job and has bulletproof insurance which we will need due to the little one having a small health issue.  so i plan to soldier on for a few years then pull the plug and enjoy life.

golden handcuffs make it hard.  its easy for me to get on a soap box and tell you to retire.  but at the time i plan to retire each extra year i work will add over 15k in spending to the subsequent year and increasing - its so hard to pull the plug and thats actually the biggest risk in FIRE that i see for myself and many others with that gold handcuff.  i mean 3 extra years and i can spend another 50k a year why not.

thedigitalone

• Stubble
« Reply #82 on: October 27, 2017, 11:48:12 AM »
Oct-15    $567,015.22    
Oct-16    $688,319.91    +21.4%
Oct-17    $912,993.18    +32.6%

October of 2015 we got serious about getting our finances under control, found a better job and made the decision to eliminate our consumer debt across the board, all $65,400 of it, cars, travel trailer, credit cards, we had the whole mess going on.  Fortunately we had been contributing to our 401ks and not mooching off the home equity.

It took 18 months to eliminate all the debt, we also refi'd the house into a 15-year fixed at 3%, we've been making double principal payments but we may stop that and start investing it once I get over the mental hurdle.  We should be ready to FIRE once the house is paid off in ~7 years assuming the market doesn't completely crash at some point.

Along the way I discovered MMM and started lurking and learning, looks like I joined almost exactly 1 year ago, still learning!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 11:54:54 AM by thedigitalone »

wannabe-stache

• Stubble
« Reply #83 on: October 27, 2017, 12:07:47 PM »

golden handcuffs make it hard.  its easy for me to get on a soap box and tell you to retire.  but at the time i plan to retire each extra year i work will add over 15k in spending to the subsequent year and increasing - its so hard to pull the plug and thats actually the biggest risk in FIRE that i see for myself and many others with that gold handcuff.  i mean 3 extra years and i can spend another 50k a year why not.
[/quote]

Yep. I am involved in several investment funds as a manager. We get paid once investors get their $ back along with a hurdle, which should happen over the next 1-3 years. Walking away now would mean potentially leaving over $1M on the table, which would clearly make me FI by any measuring stick.  Particularly as i enjoy what i do, it doesn't make any sense to walk away.

but i don't think anyone should tell others to retire, even if it's someone that hates their job and has 25-30 years of expenses invested appropriately.

OurTown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #84 on: October 27, 2017, 12:38:10 PM »
This is an inspiring thread.  There have been some incredible gains here.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #85 on: October 27, 2017, 12:43:10 PM »
Found MMM in July 2013, calculated my NW in August 2013 for the first time:

August 2013 - $632,500
October 2017 - $1,484,000

Wow, I'm impressed myself :-)

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #86 on: October 27, 2017, 12:43:43 PM »

Yep. I am involved in several investment funds as a manager. We get paid once investors get their $ back along with a hurdle, which should happen over the next 1-3 years. Walking away now would mean potentially leaving over $1M on the table, which would clearly make me FI by any measuring stick.  Particularly as i enjoy what i do, it doesn't make any sense to walk away.

but i don't think anyone should tell others to retire, even if it's someone that hates their job and has 25-30 years of expenses invested appropriately.

Thats the forum you've walked into --- we tell people to retire here.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #87 on: October 27, 2017, 12:45:09 PM »
Oct-15    $567,015.22    
Oct-16    $688,319.91    +21.4%
Oct-17    $912,993.18    +32.6%

October of 2015 we got serious about getting our finances under control, found a better job and made the decision to eliminate our consumer debt across the board, all $65,400 of it, cars, travel trailer, credit cards, we had the whole mess going on.  Fortunately we had been contributing to our 401ks and not mooching off the home equity.

It took 18 months to eliminate all the debt, we also refi'd the house into a 15-year fixed at 3%, we've been making double principal payments but we may stop that and start investing it once I get over the mental hurdle.  We should be ready to FIRE once the house is paid off in ~7 years assuming the market doesn't completely crash at some point.

Along the way I discovered MMM and started lurking and learning, looks like I joined almost exactly 1 year ago, still learning!

Get over that hurdle TODAY ...

come join us - 3% is less than avg inflation let those green soldiers work for ya.

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/throw-down-the-gauntlet/dont-payoff-your-mortgage-club/

wannabe-stache

• Stubble
« Reply #88 on: October 27, 2017, 12:48:04 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWdd6_ZxX8c

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #89 on: October 30, 2017, 06:12:56 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWdd6_ZxX8c

hardly an opinion. its litterally the basis of the forum.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #90 on: October 30, 2017, 04:53:26 PM »

You're saving $375k/yr?

Holy shit, I feel poor again.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #91 on: October 30, 2017, 05:38:50 PM »

You're saving $375k/yr?

Holy shit, I feel poor again.

I work for an ESOP and at the time of fire the growth of everything including outside investments will be in the ballpark of that. ESOP is sold back when you leave so golden handcuff.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #92 on: November 05, 2017, 03:51:08 AM »
2014 1.7
2017 2.6 including hafing been fired with 4 kids for almost 3 years.

Note* about 335k is from selling our mortgage free vacation home and another 100k after updates is from downsizing from 7200 square foot home to 2700 square foot home. Probably another 50k from selling toys from vacation home the rest being the the market rise
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 07:05:39 AM by soccerluvof4 »

Lski'stash

• Pencil Stache
    • A Teacher's Journey to FI in the Mitten State
« Reply #93 on: November 05, 2017, 07:39:08 AM »
I only know since June 2015 when I started my journal. I think I found MMM in April when I was looking for ways to take out our credit card debt faster.

June 2015 Net Worth: $16,700 with Fed. loans, $80,700 without (I'm on PSLF)

Nov 2017 Net Worth: With Fed loans calculated: $105,506 Without: $180,723

An increase of $100,000! We also moved (downsized into a smaller home that needs reno work) and have been renovating the new house, so the true worth of our house is not reflected in our networth at the moment. We spent around $17,000 on the move (realtor, closing costs, etc...) and have put in around $30K into the house.

Road2Freedom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #94 on: November 07, 2017, 09:11:12 AM »
Found this around mid-May as I opened a Personal Capital account on May 15.  Wish I would've kept track of YoY gains like other people to see annual growth.

May 15 - $475,387
Today - $522,029

Pretty happy with what we've done considering I have an irregular income. 

CrazyIT

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #95 on: November 07, 2017, 01:15:32 PM »
Keeping track with a spreadsheet since September 2011

2011   535k  (got divorced in 2012 which hurt financial picture some)
2017   1.5M   (FI but still unsure of the FIRE date)

Some home equity and rental property increases but just consistent saving and dollar cost averaging.

Found MMM in 2013 but didn't create a logon for a couple years.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #96 on: November 08, 2017, 11:28:28 AM »
Keeping track with a spreadsheet since September 2011

2011   535k  (got divorced in 2012 which hurt financial picture some)
2017   1.5M   (FI but still unsure of the FIRE date)

Some home equity and rental property increases but just consistent saving and dollar cost averaging.

Found MMM in 2013 but didn't create a logon for a couple years.

Damn near tripled your money right after a Divorce, I'd say your doing pretty damn good!

stacheasaurus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #97 on: November 09, 2017, 08:25:41 AM »
Found MMM in June 2014: -$40,000
Current NW in Nov 2017:    $105,000

Change in NW over 40 months:  $140,000, average $3,500/month increase!

Genevieve

• Bristles
« Reply #98 on: November 12, 2017, 06:06:00 PM »
May 2012 - $3k
November 2017 - $130k
4300% increase... but only $127k increase.

That included a Ph. D. and three moves and starting out with $60k in income. Now we're at 210k in income. : )

Hopefully, the first $100k is the hardest and it goes faster from here!
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 11:16:05 AM by Genevieve »

TheWifeHalf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #99 on: November 12, 2017, 07:40:16 PM »
in 3 days, down about $5000  (paid a bunch of bills yesterday)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!